• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, I promise I'd think this was a gourmet meal.  Looks delicious.

Thank you.  But after having prata literally every day in Malaysia, I can say without a doubt that mine needs work.  I wish I took video (I was planning to do it at the end of the trip, but oh well) but watching the guy effortlessly stretch and fry them every day made me realize how much I struggle with mine because the dough is way too elastic.  It's like a rubber band.  So, the texture winds up being much more dense and not as tender as it should be.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've just spent a while down the prata rabbit hole. Now I want to make them. 

You should!!! When done right they're amazing! But you need to make the curry with it. Roti prata in Singapore, aka roti canai in Malaysia.

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

Last batch of kapitan chicken curry. I'm very happy with the curry, but my prata recipe needs work so I'm happy we finally finished all the ones I made (I make them in batches of 4 meals for 2 people).

PXL_20230129_234901874.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e0664b9a5fab6dcb8a9624d7df78f4a1.jpg

PXL_20230129_234919898.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.738fbcb6c0884a095472c06b79e9ed94.jpg

PXL_20230129_234924647.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.cb9abc268398367808015d42ed696c6c.jpg

This looks great @KennethT  

do you have a recipe for the curry?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, &roid said:

This looks great @KennethT  

do you have a recipe for the curry?

Here it is:

Make sure you read to the bottom first as I've altered it over time to make it healthier and I think it actually tastes better too.  The next time I make it, in the section when you add the curry leaves, etc. I'd also add a bunch of kaffir lime leaves and a few stalks of lemongrass - bruised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Stopped by a local barbecue place on the way home from church yesterday and picked up a pound of smoked turkey. Then Child A called and requested Sonic. So I held the turkey over for dinner, which gave me time to make slaw and potato salad amid watching the playoff games. Warmed up beans from the fridge.

20230129_180052.thumb.jpg.f6d80e726200125b3514321a958b483b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Different protein content of flours maybe?

I've accounted for that already.  My protein content is exactly the same as what they use in Singapore - they all use the same flour there, it's a flour only meant for prata.  I cut my KA all purpose flour with some cake flour to get the same percentage as what I found in researching their flour.  Most recipes use a lot more oil in their dough and also some sweetened condensed milk, both of which will act as tenderizers.  I'm trying to make it more healthy, so I cut out the condensed milk entirely and most of the oil.  My first try, years ago, used a LOT more oil with the same flour and it was so slack, it basically turned into a puddle...

• Like 1

Was this Meal 5 or Meal 6 of leftover rotisserie chicken??

Went with a lighter salad.  Besides the never-ending chicken: arugula, toasted pepitas (they popped and flew all over the kitchen!), caramelized shallots with a minute dollop of burrata.  Dressing a lemon and Dijon vinaigrette.  

chicken salad.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2023 at 9:28 PM, KennethT said:

The top of this post is a good example 

HOW in the world did I miss this!  Will need to spend tomorrow salivating over your week in Penang.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Vadouvan Shrimp, South Indian Lemon Rice, and cauliflower peas redux from a previous meal: Using some of the Vadouvan spice blend from Silk Road Spice Merchants. I can't seem to leave it alone!
                                                                                                    817446353_SouthIndianLemonRice0042.jpg.cf0621b1a8711a76d085a918c19458e4.jpg

520874056_VadoucanShrimp0041.jpg.355f0d744e3bf6461238f56f9eef9968.jpg

375588318_VadouvanShrimpRice0045.jpg.8d74f43365eccfec5239f6f91a005cb7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Using some of the Vadouvan spice blend from Silk Road Spice Merchants

Damn enablers here at eGullet: two days ago I hadn’t even heard of Vadouvan, now I have a pack winking at me from the cupboard …

DBB8EEC6-37C5-474B-BCF8-8064411E9DEB.thumb.jpeg.423ceaa071d6f144e8a70192252b6a42.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

11 hours ago, Duvel said:

Damn enablers here at eGullet: two days ago I hadn’t even heard of Vadouvan, now I have a pack winking at me from the cupboard …

It's really lovely! Let us know what you think.
Prior to cooking with it, I sprinkled it onto scrambled eggs, avocado on toast, and rice! 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Cooked this for the football playoffs.  Had 4 completely different  IM's  that i separated after cooking and cut out, the biggest was the front and the third..had the most texture

OLe 7 Bone Chuck

52661208121_1bebea5352_b.jpg

• Like 7

Its good to have Morels

Tonight we had butter chicken. This is a big family favourite when we go out for Indian, eldest kitchen porter often asks to order two. 

I’ve tried a lot of different home recipes, lots have been nice but ultimately none really tasted quite like the ones at our favourite restaurants. 

Until now that is…

I decided to have a go at the serious eats pressure cooked version tonight. It’s a lot simpler than most recipes I’ve made so wasn’t sure how it would turn out.

The answer is that it’s bloody perfect! Has a really nice tang to it and that great balance of creamy richness with spice and a little heat. 100% I’ll do this again. 

4E91159B-9693-4221-883B-ABA3E0FA9E4C.thumb.jpeg.7bd831e5097c9fa05f2682e07b162ef1.jpeg

Chicken thighs done under the broiler then charred a touch with the blowtorch to give a bit of tandoori flavour. 

0E3BB22E-CD1B-4C0F-A7B9-62A95DAF5E2C.thumb.jpeg.56cfb270e161a6d442d6eee4e8885358.jpeg

The finished article - even passed the “kitchen porter test”, both boys loving it and going back for seconds. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 7