• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

In search of curry powder with great fragrance that isn't destroyed by cooking. Have had an order from Amazon: Rani brand. Was ok.

Just got an order from Silk Road Spice Merchant in Calgary, Alberta.

I got the Yellow Curry powder (hot). It smelled amazing when I opened the package. It tasted great with a lovely after-bite, not overpowering; still retain most of the fragrance after cooking. The kitchen smelled the best!

In their catalogue, I saw Vadouvan, which I had mixed up myself last year for Vadouvan Shrimp. We loved it, so I ordered a jar. It is just as lovely as I remembered! I couldn't wait to try it, so had some on scrambled eggs for brunch.
Made a curry chicken last night, and sprinkled some Vadouvan onto the cauliflower and peas, and the basmati rice. Kinda got lost with the curry, but I couldn't wait to have it again! LOL!

927745035_CurryChicken0025.jpg.ee15b7e0896fa74c3fe7906819543fbf.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Using up a large rotisserie chicken.

Chicken salad with green apple, toasted pecans tossed with mayo, yogurt and a healthy dose of chipotle.  Topped with cilantro.  

chickensalad.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

@Dejah, the Silk Road Spice company is one of my favourites.  I haven't tried any of their curry powders.  Although

I have bought the spices that I use when I make a curry.   

The other company I have ordered from as well is Organic Matters in Nelson, BC.  I've found the prices with Organic Matters are better for somethings.  

846095815_GrilledburgersandfriesJanuary28th2023.thumb.jpg.532e697e646ab3bcb834a1b180338f56.jpg

We had grilled burgers for dinner last night with twice fried fries. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 4

@Ann_T I am pleased with the yellow curry powder and Vadouvan spice blend from Silk Road, and as @Okanagancook mentioned, QUICK to ship out.
I have the spices for curry, and an English friends shared his recipe, so I will have to try and mix my own as well.
To not over-do the spices for a couple of days, I made Lancashire Hot Pot for supper. Saw a mention of it in eGullet somewhere, may be in Ladies Who Lunch? So I looked up a recipe, and it was perfect as the Polar Vortex settled over Manitoba! It warmed the kitchen AND my belly!

Once prepped and into the oven, it was perfect so I could continue sorting and cleaning out my pantry!

475814275_LancashireHotPot0031.jpg.326cfa7e3861f970bc89b3e859ef6626.jpg

1361059961_LancashireHotPot0032.jpg.ba2ab019e34b26d71756f250d06bf272.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Wife requested pulled pork for dinner.  She did this in the early afternoon.  Usually I make it in the smoker and I can do it in about 7 hours but that would have made dinner way too late.  So I did it in the Instant Pot.  She wanted it faily plain so I used about  1/2 cup of BBQ sauce and a cup of water, salt and pepper.  Served with green beans and cole slaw (not pictured).

pulled-pork-gb.jpg.36f1ac5d2a9781e3f3a73e4e9b372462.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

As every Sunday: pizza & movie night !

Tonight featuring a thin crust dough and the usual salami and mushroom combo, that I didn’t manage to get a picture of - a long afternoon walk and one more eater (my father is currently visiting) made the first pie disappear while I was preparing the next one in the kitchen 🙄 …

Gorgonzola & spinach

F010CDD2-C12F-4826-9DC5-90CB1B8844B2.thumb.jpeg.74dc4d2d97dc49d9a29e41568d0eb25c.jpeg

Anchovies, olives and capers 

586C1C93-B7BF-458F-948B-1D2D7051EBAC.thumb.jpeg.ab836afc53ca0d2bf71060c8b3097929.jpeg

Enjoyed with “Die Schule der magischen Tiere” (The school of magical animals) …

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

@Ann_T I am pleased with the yellow curry powder and Vadouvan spice blend from Silk Road, and as @Okanagancook mentioned, QUICK to ship out.
I have the spices for curry, and an English friends shared his recipe, so I will have to try and mix my own as well.
To not over-do the spices for a couple of days, I made Lancashire Hot Pot for supper. Saw a mention of it in eGullet somewhere, may be in Ladies Who Lunch? So I looked up a recipe, and it was perfect as the Polar Vortex settled over Manitoba! It warmed the kitchen AND my belly!

Once prepped and into the oven, it was perfect so I could continue sorting and cleaning out my pantry!

Nothing better than a hot pot when the weather turns nasty. Looks a great example @Dejah

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

Now that's a winter dish.

Did you use shoulder or another cut?

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

32 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Now that's a winter dish.

Did you use shoulder or another cut?

It was a piece of boneless shoulder that I had picked up at Safeway. Was $23.00 then a $5.00 coupon discount. It had a nice layer of fat which I strained off after browning the lamb.
Good to have approval from @&roidfrom Manchester. And my friend who lived in Lancashire also gave his thumbs up ❤️

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Good to have approval from @&roidfrom Manchester. And my friend who lived in Lancashire also gave his thumbs up ❤️

I might have mentioned this on here before but we love hot pot so much we had it for the main course of our wedding meal at Northcote. It was spectacular. 

This is the recipe which nigel howarth took the final banquet of great British menu: 

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/lancashire-hotpot-recipe-lamb-cabbage-roast-loin

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, &roid said:

I might have mentioned this on here before but we love hot pot so much we had it for the main course of our wedding meal at Northcote. It was spectacular. 

This is the recipe which nigel howarth took the final banquet of great British menu: 

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/lancashire-hotpot-recipe-lamb-cabbage-roast-loin

Sounds like a fabulous dish but it's as far from a traditional Lancashire Hotpot as one can possibly get. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sounds like a fabulous dish but it's as far from a traditional Lancashire Hotpot as one can possibly get. 

why do you say that? The presentation is a bit fancy but the hot pot part of the  dish is very normal. 

11 minutes ago, &roid said:

why do you say that? The presentation is a bit fancy but the hot pot part of the  dish is very normal. 

To me it is a very simple and economical dish that is put together  quickly and left to do it own thing. As soon as you start fancying it up like this it becomes something entirely different. I am not saying it is not good, I am saying it is not traditional. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

To me it is a very simple and economical dish that is put together  quickly and left to do it own thing. As soon as you start fancying it up like this it becomes something entirely different. I am not saying it is not good, I am saying it is not traditional. 

Yeah I get that, but have you read the recipe? The hot pot is simply lamb dusted with flour, softened onions and sliced potatoes. It’s the very epitome of a traditional hot pot! 

1 hour ago, &roid said:

I read thru' Nigel Howarth's recipe: WHEW! Presentation is lovely, but I wonder how many servings? 3 kinds of cuts = a lot of meat. The recipe I used said "Traditional" but how that is defined, I don't know. 😏 But it certainly was simpler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@Anna N, could you post a recipe please?

Click

Not for anyone to follow. Remember that oysters were the food of the poor in the past.  I'm posting it to make these three things show how simple it was: the meat is not browned,  the only vegetables in there are potatoes and onions and the only seasoning salt and pepper. Like I tried to say it was a simple dish. 

• Thanks 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Last batch of kapitan chicken curry. I'm very happy with the curry, but my prata recipe needs work so I'm happy we finally finished all the ones I made (I make them in batches of 4 meals for 2 people).

PXL_20230129_234901874.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e0664b9a5fab6dcb8a9624d7df78f4a1.jpg

PXL_20230129_234919898.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.738fbcb6c0884a095472c06b79e9ed94.jpg

PXL_20230129_234924647.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.cb9abc268398367808015d42ed696c6c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Last batch of kapitan chicken curry. I'm very happy with the curry, but my prata recipe needs work so I'm happy we finally finished all the ones I made (I make them in batches of 4 meals for 2 people).

PXL_20230129_234901874.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e0664b9a5fab6dcb8a9624d7df78f4a1.jpg

PXL_20230129_234919898.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.738fbcb6c0884a095472c06b79e9ed94.jpg

PXL_20230129_234924647.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.cb9abc268398367808015d42ed696c6c.jpg

Well, I promise I'd think this was a gourmet meal.  Looks delicious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1