• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Steamed Beef and Sechuan preserved turnip, still Caucasian hubby's  favourite traditional dish for 56 years! Sides were stir-fried Napa cabbage and ginger, Jasmine rice.

338941259_BeefPreservedVeg9994.jpg.4d261250cc893826add577d124a0c45e.jpg

IP Braised Beef Short ribs, flavoured with star anise. Added root vegetables (daikon, rutabaga, carrots, celery), served over pappardelle noodles.

1461828052_ShortRibsNoodles_0005.jpg.38a9ee251b327d08b52d6c100c44dea6.jpg

Surf & Turf: using up a couple of small pieces of strip loin, shrimp, and scallops, leftover from shipment before Xmas. Asparagus, and air-fryer parboiled potato.

1265486359_SurfTurf0013.jpg.ceb01a73edec4a6909e272b33d8c9ed4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I must say that looks and sounds fabulous. I love your addition of Lancashire and dolcelatte cheeses. 

There’s nothing that can’t be made better with a dollop of cheese (or two!). 

The soup was really quick and easy too, perfect weeknight supper. 

• Like 3

Chicken and Mushroom Curry with Spinach and Tomatoes

172270435_chickenmushroomspinachcurry.thumb.jpg.451c11fd25df67c1bf76f22d737db663.jpg

Boned (or de-boned) a couple of chicken drumsticks, added garlic, chillies, "Indian" curry paste and chopped tomatoes. Put the rice on in the rice cooked and when it was ready added the shiitake to the curry. After a few minutes added spinach, then some chopped Chinese chives. Served and ate. Seconds were consumed.

1208546278_MidasIndianCurryPaste.thumb.jpg.a93dc8508ada31530070ec46c84863fe.jpg

Still some left for lunch tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ground chicken, eggplant, and napa cabbage stir fry.  

1010073230_chickeneggplantstirfry.thumb.jpg.bf47bfce33f008dbbcb4e3d9ea5f159c.jpg

My CSA is overwhelming me with cabbage.  This was the last napa I had, but I have three huge heads of standard green from them right now.  I am considering attempting to make sauerkraut with it.  The last time I tried to make sauerkraut it did not go well.  

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

The chicken looks really good. I am pretty sure that the rau ram is one of the very few things that I have actually spit out!  

Rau ram is really strong and distinctive.  We just happened to fall in love with it when we first had it in Saigon - a good thing too since they provide it with EVERYTHING.  But I can definitely understand if someone didn't like it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

I'm hoping to get back into cooking more often than once a week!

PXL_20230127_010057914.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.154f1ed5d57b4aeafe39ade612a3bfea.jpg

Vietnamese "grilled" chicken over rau ram from the garden.  Chicken was marinated with a dry rub for 24 hours - it was super tender and juicy.  

Appears as if you're using leg/thigh combos. Any special chicken?

Love the dry rub!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Appears as if you're using leg/thigh combos. Any special chicken?

Love the dry rub!

Nothing special - just normal commodity chicken from Hmart. They don't carry thighs only - just the leg/thigh combo or just legs hacked into pieces (aside from whole chickens hacked into pieces or breast meat).  My wife isn't a fan of the legs but I like them, so the leg/thigh combo works ok. Unfortunately, the Wild Fork location that ships to NY has been out of stock of my usual air chilled, antibiotic free chicken so I have to make due.  One of these days I'll check out Whole Foods to see what they've got and their prices.  They used to carry Bell & Evans which was decent and moderately priced, but who knows nowadays.

The dry rub was a combo of salt/sugar/Vietnamese black pepper/chicken powder/cayenne/garlic powder/onion powder/ginger powder/turmeric

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, &roid said:

Love the look of that short rib, @Dejah

Thanks!
I find stewing meat may fall apart but always seem to be dry shreds. Short ribs fall apart but stay moist and tender.

I had picked up 2 packages of 2 on sale. They were marinated "French style".; I guess by whatever marinade used. I loved the star anise fragrance and flavour.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

My wife isn't a fan of the legs

Have you tried deknuckling them?  (Releasing the tendons prior to cooking.)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Have you tried deknuckling them?  (Releasing the tendons prior to cooking.)

No, I've never bothered doing that. I don't have a good bone cutting cleaver.  Plus, I'm not a big fan of the whole lollipop thing that happens when you do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Thanks!
I find stewing meat may fall apart but always seem to be dry shreds. Short ribs fall apart but stay moist and tender.

I had picked up 2 packages of 2 on sale. They were marinated "French style".; I guess by whatever marinade used. I loved the star anise fragrance and flavour.

That's why oxtails are nice too for long cooking: great flavor stock, tender meat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

That's why oxtails are nice too for long cooking: great flavor stock, tender meat.

Indeed. And I’d add cheeks to that too - they really hold their structure and moisture well despite the lack of bone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@rotutsWhat is that you're drinking?

I found a new to us brand of boudin at Wal-Mart so had to try it.  It's ok.  I liked it.  Needs more spice...not as good as my usual boudin purchases.  Ronnie thought it could be more meaty.  I liked the balance between rice and meat.

thumbnail_IMG_3859.jpg.969c1ff1528209cb47b069f9c84d8c9c.jpg

Made a fruit salad and breakfast to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_3860.jpg.d79d5ea75ceb34c7b9cd57c59e735c62.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3861.jpg.0cd9aeffceb1b1a27a893abb3811955f.jpg

Goose and duck season has been a bit sparse which is odd considering how cold it's been.  Maybe they just didn't come down due to the draught conditions we had earlier in the season.  Anyway Ronnie got a goose a few days ago so I roasted it.

thumbnail_IMG_3867.jpg.690d6be28109643c3b9f393f57973b56.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3868.jpg.44ef24e2ffefe1208080e331fc35b587.jpg

Mushroom salad and @Mmmpompsroasted potatoes on the side

thumbnail_IMG_3865.jpg.95340a4f34e0290a416a8739463720e5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3869.jpg.e71e11936564e52c73ba2af7703acbd8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3870.jpg.fd56b5eb7f524e0c15f2efe91485f93a.jpg

Canadian bacon and pepperoni for pizza night

thumbnail_IMG_3883.jpg.034ab68fa88fdc22f5311877602c814e.jpg

Yesterday I finally got all of Christmas packed away downstairs so needed something easy.  I thawed out some chili and made spaghetti red.

thumbnail_IMG_3886.jpg.90e900dd5f52858a682a006a92a2a402.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

thank you 

@Duvel

IMG_2172.thumb.jpg.cb5c824f3f0e2c1c09517029ff8f3bf2.jpg

this was after my dinner 

Many years ago we were members of a true Scottish club. Bagpipes, kilts the lot.

The Burns dinners were spectacular. Piping in of the haggis, burns poetry in Gaelic the lot. (Gaelic is such a melodious language). One very sensible thing that was always served was whiskey as part of the starter. Very civilized, because quite a few of the ladies didn't care for whiskey so I always came to the rescue (always the gentleman 😁) and had their tots too.

Then the meal was finished off with more whiskey.

One thing I do like is that @rotutsdoesn't have ice. I can never understand why people add ice to whiskey, the glass has hopefully been washed in water and that should be as close to whiskey as water comes!

If you want cold whiskey, put it in the freezer for a week. It will thicken up but not freeze, and can be sipped like liqueur. But it is very moreish and is likely you will drink more than you intend (never really sure if that's a bad thing...)😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Planning for next week now. I cook ahead for the week and cook again on Wednesday when we return home. A venison sirloin tip is going into the SV tomorrow. Son has requested coq au vin and that is doable. Peas (pinkeye purple hull from the garden) and cornbread will be done. A venison loin is defrosting and will get eaten somewhere in there.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

air chilled, antibiotic free chicken

Hi KennethT, just dropping in to say that just tonight at my local Safeway there was plentiful chicken available that was air-chilled and antibiotic-free. I'm on the West Coast though so maybe your Safeway is different. Or maybe you don't have a Safeway convenient to hand. 

Needed a simple, easy to put together dinner last night.

1171957762_Saladcomposee01-27-23.thumb.jpeg.b6ba70f2b9181fb2d0d9b56ebd21e179.jpeg

Almost-composed salad. Castelfranco, vinaigrette.  Artichoke heart marinated. Avocado sliced. Olives rinsed. Shrimp poached.

1090959251_Ravioli01-27-23.thumb.jpeg.9408cc07ff612764e518d29214f8f7f6.jpeg

Cheese ravioli tossed in butter and Parmigiano.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Hi KennethT, just dropping in to say that just tonight at my local Safeway there was plentiful chicken available that was air-chilled and antibiotic-free. I'm on the West Coast though so maybe your Safeway is different. Or maybe you don't have a Safeway convenient to hand. 

Here in NY, I've never even heard of Safeway!!!  We have other air chilled stuff in the non-Korean supermarkets, but it's usually quite a bit more than I was paying from Wild Fork.  Their prices are amazing!

21 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Have not had oxtails for ages. I love them, but they are expensive unless I go to an Asian market. Have to wait for a trip to the big city. On the list!
@&roid: and cheeks are never seen in my part of the world. 😒

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com