• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Dejah

how did you do the noodles and the curry flavor ?

I usually have char siu and shrimp in the Singapore Rice Noodles, but didn't have any char siu thawed. However, I had  a small piece of beef tenderloin that needed using up.

I have been trying to find a good commercial curry powder, one with good fragrance and bite. I should mix my own, but sometimes it's so much easier to use what's already mixed. This was a package from Amazon - RANI brand. It smelled wonderful, and retained some of that fragrance after cooking.
I always cook the curry powder in hot oil a bit then add the rice noodles. Once incorporated, I add a bit of chicken broth (or water), cook until liquid has evaporated, then I add the raw bean sprouts and the rest of the veg and protein, which I had cooked before hand.

• Thanks 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 hours ago, Duvel said:

I haven’t heard of cilantro rice before. According to Google it seems to be quite popular - may I ask how you make yours ?

I just use my rice cooker to cook some rinsed and soaked rice in chicken stock with minced cilantro, chopped garlic, and salt.  Normally when it's done I stir in some fresh minced cilantro and a squeeze of lime, but I used my last lime in the sauce for the fish, and forgot to save any of the minced cilantro, so left both out this time.  

Last night, sole meuniere, spinach, and rice

meurniere.thumb.jpg.523feae25c7843429884db3ff00933d5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

Small strip sirloin, pierogis, blistered shishito peppers, sour green tomatoes, mixed greens, tomato and feta salad with a glass of Cote de Rhone.

DSCN0533.thumb.JPG.2fb5a078eeeffe29c913f61d0d0a3913.JPG

The other half of the steak with oven roasted potatoes and carrots, peas, tomato salad and a glass of Cote de Rhone.

DSCN0529.thumb.JPG.833b63f200c25d57d08d7a23c66027db.JPG

Hamburger 'steak', roasted butter nut squash, greens, tomato and feta salad with an Uncle Leo's Smoked Porter (one of the best porters I've had in a long time).

DSCN0527.thumb.JPG.363c3c63ce3aa5da3ba874d3858e809f.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

(Skewerless) chicken sate, marinated with fresh turmeric, served with (commercial) peanut sauce and a mixed salad with wafu dressing … I know: odd combination, but tasty 🤗

A54D437E-01EE-4FC1-BB36-235C1FBB2A13.thumb.jpeg.1896b22c33536f5072f3b65ffabc45d5.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

45 minutes ago, Duvel said:

(Skewerless) chicken sate, marinated with fresh turmeric, served with (commercial) peanut sauce and a mixed salad with wafu dressing … I know: odd combination, but tasty 🤗

A54D437E-01EE-4FC1-BB36-235C1FBB2A13.thumb.jpeg.1896b22c33536f5072f3b65ffabc45d5.jpeg

wafu?

Coconut rice noodles with ginger and eggplant from Melissa Clark's cookbook Dinner: Changing the Game.  We all thought it was tasty.  The recipe suggested adding the optional ingredients of corn, which seemed odd and was immediately dismissed, and spinach, which I would have put in if I had not eaten it all the night before!

1895379766_coconuteggplant2.thumb.jpg.61bed14ac3110f927bf457142328e27a.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

22 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Coconut rice noodles with ginger and eggplant from Melissa Clark's cookbook Dinner: Changing the Game.  We all thought it was tasty.  The recipe suggested adding the optional ingredients of corn, which seemed odd and was immediately dismissed, and spinach, which I would have put in if I had not eaten it all the night before!

1895379766_coconuteggplant2.thumb.jpg.61bed14ac3110f927bf457142328e27a.jpg

It looks kinda like a tom kha (but not as a full soup, but as what I would call dry noodle).  Other than ginger and coconut milk, what were the other sauce ingredients?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 7:51 AM, rotuts said:

@Dejah 

Penzey's has a number of curry powders 

https://www.penzeys.com/search/?q=curry powder  

their sweet curry powder is almost identical in flavor to the sort used

in Cinatown here and two lical places.

It's been a long time since I'd been in a Penzey store! Unfortunately, I can't find Penzey on Amazon.ca, and shipping and other fees will be crazy if I ordered from the store in USA.
Will have to set my snowbird friends on a hunt!
Thanks for the info!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Fish & Chips with Pickerel, curry gravy and malt vinegar, mashed peas with mint. Pretending to be in Whitby, England! 😊

1915554071_FishChips9933.jpg.390c36a9d15913d9c87f0c477eeb9970.jpg

Leftover Baked Ham from the freezer, cheesy cauliflower, peas, and apple cranberry orange chutney

483770776_HamCauliflower9947.jpg.9fd36c2905c43c13494b4162dfef286c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

It looks kinda like a tom kha (but not as a full soup, but as what I would call dry noodle).  Other than ginger and coconut milk, what were the other sauce ingredients?

The recipe calls for Thai (or other hot) chiles, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, coconut oil, curry powder, lime zest, and cilantro ground together to a paste and then sautéed with softened onions.  Chicken (or vegetable) stock, coconut milk, and fish sauce are then added along with the eggplant (which was previously cooked in coconut oil) and a handful of cherry tomatoes.  After everything cooks together for a while you stir in lime juice and more fresh cilantro (and the spinach and corn, if using).  The recipe suggests finishing with chopped rao ram but I don't have access to that here.

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

as it always should be!

I thought of you when I dismissed the corn idea! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

It's been a long time since I'd been in a Penzey store! Unfortunately, I can't find Penzey on Amazon.ca, and shipping and other fees will be crazy if I ordered from the store in USA.
Will have to set my snowbird friends on a hunt!
Thanks for the info!

You could probably find something from Spice Trekkers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

the Penzey's Sweet Curry 

is so similar to BOS chinatown and others in y area 

Id say this is what many people think of  Curry powder

It might very similar , to a good quality curry powder on

a supermarkets shelf.  can't see chinatown et al using 

something more rarefied . ie Maharajah 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

The recipe calls for Thai (or other hot) chiles, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, coconut oil, curry powder, lime zest, and cilantro ground together to a paste and then sautéed with softened onions.  Chicken (or vegetable) stock, coconut milk, and fish sauce are then added along with the eggplant (which was previously cooked in coconut oil) and a handful of cherry tomatoes.  After everything cooks together for a while you stir in lime juice and more fresh cilantro (and the spinach and corn, if using).  The recipe suggests finishing with chopped rao ram but I don't have access to that here.

Fascinating - that ingredient list is so all over the map, but still I'll bet it was tasty!

• Like 1