• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Son went out with friends last night, so hubby and I cleaned up the leftover short ribs and fun see from a couple of meals back.
Had picked up 2 cryovac saddles of lamb at Ss Flashfood. Both cost me $40.00 instead of the $80. Best Before date was Jan 6th.
De-boned them both and put one in the freezer.

Tonight, I stuffed one with fresh Rosemary, parsley, and clarified butter. Seasoned the whole thing with Montreal Steak spice, and learned how to tie the roll!

Roast @500F for 30 minutes, then 275F for about an hour. Eaten with baked sweet taters, parsnips in air-fryer, steamed asparagus.

Roasted the bones and will make Scotch Broth at a later date.

That fresh mint sauce was a fond memory for the son!

948449378_SaddleofLambdeboned9865(1).jpg.f4747e31274edb2eabc8d13c6f0b9433.jpg

878337354_Stuffedsaddle9866(1).jpg.d236d45271f9d4e0e3d0c37554809074.jpg

999078510_TiedSaddle9867(1).jpg.47c5f6232b4216fa63d153fab354e231.jpg

245908001_SaddlePlatted9869.jpg.b89664f65f9f951779bf89dd32907d50.jpg

Meat sat a bit longer than expected as son was down at Home Depot picking up repair stuff for us (new slow closing toilet set!)
But the meat was really tender and juicy. Made gravy in the pan with the drippings, but none of us wanted gravy, just lots of mint sauce!

• Like 16
  • Delicious 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner01092023.jpg

Three plus hours sous vide pork loin.  57C.  So tired I was cooking in slow motion (as the stone cold mashed potatoes will attest).  I could not even contemplate a mai tai.  Strictly speaking I could contemplate a mai tai but I had no energy to actually make one.

Pork was very good.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, &roid said:

Despite myself I love a carbonara pizza - how are you doing this one? Looks great 

I just baked the crust brushed with olive oil for a bit, then topped it with fresh mozzarella, parmesan, and bacon that I had cooked earlier.  Once the crust was browned enough, I drizzled on the yolks of four eggs and stuck it back in for about 30 seconds.  

Last night, braised short ribs with carrots and celery root over parmesan and spinach risotto.

584163518_shortrib.thumb.jpg.e4bf925df21010c2a9d0106981bd6ad5.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 8

No it's not deja vu.  Yesterday we had beef bulgogi which has a little sugar in it. Today we had spicy pork bulgogi.  It tastes different. I didn't do much cooking for it though. I went to the Korean grocery and got the spicy pork out of the freezer, picked up some cabbage bulgogi, some baby Napa bulgogi and some kimbap.  About all I did was thaw it, cook it and make some rice.  We had never had baby Napa bulgogi before.  I didn't  know if it was the same thing so I got some to try. Regular cabbage is made with Napa cabbage but this was greener and tasted different. I haven't decided if I like it better or not.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

I am confused. I see the meat bulgogi in center biut the cabbage tyoes look like different kimchi. My favorite kimchi is a huse made (at the store) young radish which has lots of radish leaves.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

I am confused. I see the meat bulgogi in center biut the cabbage tyoes look like different kimchi. My favorite kimchi is a huse made (at the store) young radish which has lots of radish leaves.

The cubes are diakon radish kimchi.  The light green is made with mature Napa cabbage and the dark green is baby Napa kimchi.  As far as I know, baby Napa kimchi is something new. Neither of us had only ever heard of it a couple months ago( and didn't know just what it was) and only first tried it today.

Sesame & ginger meatballs with baby bok choy and red rice - Simple one pan dinner made in the oven. First roast the meatballs (beef, scallions, chili, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic) then add baby choy for some minutes. Once it’s done mix with cooked red rice and dressing (sesame oil, ginger, garlic, chili, scallions, lime zest and juice)

2EDE00A5-8029-4E27-922A-D8B36487CBFF.thumb.jpeg.95b41e1456523b02911aba83232f2bfe.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Was a little chilly but it was sunny so got the Ooni out. 
Calabrese salami, castelvetrano olives and red onion

Fresh mozzarella, artichoke hearts, Sun dried tomatoes, red onion and pesto from the freezer

E989F022-39B7-4DF6-9ACB-14E6E143985F.jpeg

FA5E0C1B-EB5A-496B-9896-5EC734C810C6.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Tuesday night miso salmon ramen bowl with baby bok choy, summer squash zoodles, cilantro, scallions, and peppers.  My niece goes back to college at the beginning of next week so this is probably the last miso salmon for a while.  We all like it very much, but are not wedded to the preparation the way my niece is.

2019101395_misosalmonJanuary10.thumb.jpg.9128e039547af85959f30bbade245cca.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Another use existing pantry/freezer items only dinner.   Penne pasta, frozen pack of Costco sweet Italian sausages and a package of Knorr Parma Rosa seasoning.   I have never used a powdered pasta sauce before.   Turned out just fine, it's much pinker than the package shows.   I used the broth from the simmered sausages as the liquid for the sauce powder to add additional base flavor.   It didn't look exciting but tasted good and there's leftovers too.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Another use existing pantry/freezer items only dinner.   Penne pasta, frozen pack of Costco sweet Italian sausages and a package of Knorr Parma Rosa seasoning.   I have never used a powdered pasta sauce before.   Turned out just fine, it's much pinker than the package shows.   I used the broth from the simmered sausages as the liquid for the sauce powder to add additional base flavor.   It didn't look exciting but tasted good and there's leftovers too.

Thanks for sharing this. I had to look it up. Knorr seems to be really expanding its offerings. Pantry meals are always interesting to me.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_8322.thumb.jpeg.a35aafd18832d67648bcb2bed1135f7b.jpeg

Braised baby artichokes, in stock, white wine, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper, olive oil, herbs.  If only trimming and cleaning 8 to 10 baby artichokes, I can deal.  Cases of them - no way.

IMG_8321.thumb.jpeg.ec4d04a5f641208cf88ca3db4040a8e9.jpeg

Wild gulf shrimp scampi (saucy) over spaghetti.  Shrimp removed, pasta tossed with sauce, plated and shrimp replaced on top.  Butter, olive oil, garlic, lemon, white wine, shrimp shell stock, parsley.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

IMG_8321.thumb.jpeg.ec4d04a5f641208cf88ca3db4040a8e9.jpeg

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Wild gulf shrimp scampi (saucy) over spaghetti.  Shrimp removed, pasta tossed with sauce, plated and shrimp replaced on top.  Butter, olive oil, garlic, lemon, white wine, shrimp shell stock, parsley.

This is how shrimps should be served  and enjoyed.  No tails attached. 

dcarch

• Like 6

Asian inspired bowl from Melissa Clark’s Dinner cookbook. Oven roasted Brussels sprouts and shiitake mushrooms, pan-fried tofu, quickly pickled carrots, cilantro, toasted sesame seed and a really nice and “potent” vinaigrette made from oil, rice vinegar, white miso, garlic, lime zest and juice, honey and plenty of ginger (which gave it a nice kick). Served over quinoa.

461D77EA-B041-4DF3-A49B-973F23A56CF6.thumb.jpeg.ca51973a0d1e08bfb08f938b3cd365f2.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

What to do with leftovers?  

IMG_8333.thumb.jpeg.a23dc85188e13ef62ba3a1806338a80b.jpeg

"Composed" salad?  I poached some of the shrimp from last night's scampi, so we had a little shrimp cocktail. With some braised baby artichokes. And the gorgeous Castelfranco, with a little Chioggia thrown in for good measure.

The ultimate use of leftover Marcella beans is, in my opinion...

IMG_8336.thumb.jpeg.19961d1a8f4fd0aed44f3fb9164145b9.jpeg

Minestrone.  Pasta undercooked separately and added at service, so as not to absorb all the damn liquid. Which will have happened to leftovers of the leftovers.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?