• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

cleaning out the freezer-found some cumbraes beef chuck, quick trip to the store to grab some of this

FB4E1DA5-0143-4FD3-80FF-984860CF2FD5.thumb.jpeg.30bc3a0f9daf1a82101f440bccd0acfe.jpeg

turned into 

910DDA33-93AC-4CFC-8782-8B4776D0A36F.thumb.jpeg.386010186169fefb35c03a34dee2d370.jpeg

beef bourg, truffle mashed potatoes, foraged mushrooms (also from freezer!) 

served with this spectacular Pinot 

83BF6FD3-79D2-4642-99F7-2D5F678C73AC.thumb.jpeg.67aba34760c179fffb02c965a2963deb.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

8 hours ago, Honkman said:

Potato and Cabbage Stew with coriander-spiced vegetable broth and “meatballs” (made from fresh Italian pork sausage, paprika and dried tomatoes). Served with sour cream mixed with parsley, chives and mustard

225712E5-F6BA-4E9C-B6B3-228C733181C6.thumb.jpeg.47918b0d91c590ce715bdbff8c474e6d.jpeg

This really appeals to me.   I never think to cook cabbage unless it is cabbage rolls.   

Happy Anniversary @Shelby.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Dejah Would you give your recipe for yorkshire pudding please. Mine often collapse into little turd-like mounds.

My never fail method:
In measuring cup, I use equal amounts of beaten eggs, add equal amount of milk, then equal amount of flour (eg. 1 cup eggs, one cup milk, 1 cup flour for a dozen). Mix well and let rest on the counter for a couple of hours.

Heat beef fat in muffin tins @450 until smoking. Pour in batter to 2/3 full (should sizzle), bake for 25 - 30 minutes. reduce heat to 400F and bake for another 10 minutes to set puddings. I keep my eye on the yorkies thru' the oven door now that I have a light in the new unit! Don't open the oven door while baking.
Food luck!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm not @Dejah but I have a recipe for popovers that has never failed me. I just posted it so maybe you would want to check that out.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Quite similar in ingredients / measurements. Only difference is in the temperature.
I've thought about buying the special popover pans, then, thought I really didn't need to replace my well-used muffin tins used specifically for Yorkies.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

41 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Only difference is in the temperature.

For some reason these come out better at the lower temperature. I forgot to readjust my oven one time and tried to bake them at 400°. They browned much too quickly and they were quite soggy inside. Another thing I like about this recipe is that they can be reheated. 5 minutes in a 350° oven or 3 minutes in the air fryer at 400°.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had one slice of tri-tip left over and just scored some nice green beans and snap peas, so I made a stir fry with "broccoli beef sauce" from Kenji's Wok book.  I addition to snap peas and green beans there were carrots and sliced/shredded Brussels sprouts.

stir-fry39.jpg.12fa5d207f79af372b365095dccf77f5.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Been trying to use up leftovers here and there.......

New Year's Day dinner--based on lucky foods of course lol.  I always think of @Norm Matthewswhen he skipped the luck and then shattered his ankle shortly after.  I'd hate to think of how last year would have been had we NOT eaten lucky lol.

Cole slaw--really good.  I shredded less than half a head of cabbage and a carrot.  Simple dressing of mayo, salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar.

thumbnail_IMG_3760.jpg.a6c17802aa9876637d7770e6b9b68ac3.jpg

Fried chicken

thumbnail_IMG_3761.jpg.64da0589856c4ceca416a24d665f37cf.jpg

Smidge of scalloped potatoes

thumbnail_IMG_3762.jpg.2ca42534ca119ef7b2d76f1071717e16.jpg

Made a pot of black eyed peas, ham, my tomatoes and jalapeños.

thumbnail_IMG_3764.jpg.1b15461126c07635fb30482f06756faf.jpg

Monday I had a couple pieces of chicken that I used for piccata left so reheated those in the steam boy and made some pasta

thumbnail_IMG_3766.jpg.215078853d57d847e66a7bf37dd341e9.jpg

Last night I thawed out a couple of small beef filets and venison tenderloins

Done in screaming hot cast iron with butter

thumbnail_IMG_3767.jpg.70da20e714bea36555c3da64040c1e1d.jpg

Baked potato, stewed tomatoes and green bean casserole on the side

thumbnail_IMG_3768.jpg.8ec495403cc0596fd570ee8e9b14f94d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3769.jpg.fa327b0be1b0467b42e31f3b258b24f8.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3

On 1/3/2023 at 9:31 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm not @Dejah but I have a recipe for popovers that has never failed me. I just posted it so maybe you would want to check that out.

I tried it out in a metal popover pan....not much rise.

I tried it out in a silicon cupcake pan sitting on a sheet pan...not much rise.

I tried it out on a silicon cupcake pan with no sheet pan...not much rise

I tried it out in a metal muffin pan...Success! Nice rise and browning and they lasted 45 minutes without turdification.

Same amount of butter in the pans...heated to 340 or more (I measured it ) prior to batter going in yet only one was any good.  I hate baking.

Thanks @Tropicalsenior!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Charlie and I were going through a list of recipes I've made over the last couple of years and decided to do Cheeseburger soup. Charlie suggested using French fries instead of regular potatoes and to add some  jalapenos. I didn't think the fries  and peppers was a good idea so I made them on the side.  I have to admit that the soup made a very tasty dip for the fries.  During the meal Charlie thought some kind of pasta would be a good substitute for the potatoes.  I might try that next time.

As for New Years, because it is so hard to find decent ham hocks any more,I decided to just to a cheesy black eyed bean dip but when I discovered I didn't have any in the "cupboard" it was too late.  Store were sold out everywhere. It was ten years ago the last time I didn't have black eyed peas on New Years day.  I broke every bone in my ankle on Jan. 2nd. It's the 4th now and every thing is going well but If you don't hear from me again, you can blame it on the beans. :)

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I tried it out in a metal popover pan....not much rise.

I tried it out in a silicon cupcake pan sitting on a sheet pan...not much rise.

I tried it out on a silicon cupcake pan with no sheet pan...not much rise

I tried it out in a metal muffin pan...Success! Nice rise and browning and they lasted 45 minutes without turdification.

Same amount of butter in the pans...heated to 340 or more (I measured it ) prior to batter going in yet only one was any good.  I hate baking.

Thanks @Tropicalsenior!

Yorkies MUST be made in metal pan to get the fat smoking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

Yorkies MUST be made in metal pan to get the fat smoking.

There are so many recipes and tips for Yorkshire puddings but for me and my oven I have found I get consistent results when I make mine in silicone bun (cupcake) case lined cupcake tray. I've just found that I get better puddings that don't stick and clean up is easier. I also only use a drop of sunflower oil (1tbs between all 12) in each one, and usually only heat the pan in the oven for a few minutes, even if it doesn't sizzle as I pour it in they still rise fine.  I use a Mary berry recipe that calls for 125g plain flour, 3 eggs and 200ml milk and whizz them together with a hand blender, rarely rest it before using. For a normal midweek meal I actually only do a one egg mix with 40g flour, 65 milk. 

My Yorkshire MIL told the family last week that her recipe is like dejah's equal parts egg, flour and milk (though that wasn't the recipe she gave me 20 years ago so either she was keeping it secret or she has changed it over the years) though she still uses lard in her pudding pans that she never washes. 

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, TicTac said:

46951EA1-99FC-4DDE-8364-3776F43FBE46.thumb.jpeg.3678ba8ec2cbd3fe39cd586d6b9c697b.jpeg

Turtle shell potatoes with the leftover beef bourg 

Never heard of that prep. Kinda like Hasselback but just simple scored and roasted to crisp outsides?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1