• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 1/1/2023 at 9:33 AM, Shelby said:

I couldn't find goose foie gras, though.  I wonder if that's everywhere or the places I checked were just sold out?  Duck was just as good IMO.

I've never seen goose foie outside of France (doesn't mean it doesn't exist) but goose foie IS even better, if you can imagine it 

• Thanks 1

Im wondering if geese , destined for the FG mill

in FR or elsewhere , have been ' neutered '   ' geese-wise '

pictures Ive seen of the feeding pens etc , the G's look very placid.

we had geese growing up , along w ducks and chickens 

in a large ' coop '

a 4 year old had no trouble taking an egg from a duck nest.

trying to get an egg from a Goose nest  , an entirely different matter .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, weinoo said:

Mise for a simple dinner...

IMG_8204.thumb.jpeg.2e7a4e9b3e389adf2cca672a5aee486f.jpeg

Turn that into...

IMG_8205.thumb.jpeg.8c63b4a15b50ac17baaa806450bbf9f2.jpeg

Spaghetti with Périgord black truffle (tuber melanosporum).  

Melt butter in pan, add shavings and a bunch of grated black truffle to butter.  Toss spaghetti in butter/truffle, add parmesan and some pasta cooking water to make a somewhat creamy sauce. Top with slices of black truffle, parmesan, and a little parsley. One of the simplest and greatest dishes.

Cooked Rancho Gordo Marcella beans, baked with bread crumbs and olive oil, to start.

There are some amazing dishes in this thread but this pasta/truffle concoction has got me lusting after similar.  It’s a while since we had truffles but I can sense an order about to be placed….  Many thanks for the inspiration, hope that it was as good as it looks. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yes, in the shell. It's a common practice here where I live, because the lobster season is split to minimize the impact on their breeding cycles. There's one very early in the year (ie, now) and then one in late summer, and pretty much everybody knows a lobsterman (or has a friend who does). So people buy a bunch and cook 'em and freeze whatever doesn't get eaten immediately. Picking the meat and putting vacuum sealing also works but requires more effort, and if you're doing a large quantity - as some do - a sealer would slow things even farther. If you don't stock up in season when the prices are low (sub-$10/lb), then you're stuck paying supermarket price until the next season opens.

In-shell lobsters will last a few months if properly bagged or wrapped. You can either steam them whole until reheated, or just thaw them overnight and pick the meat, depending on your plans and degree of advance planning. The local lobster seasons didn't overlap well with tourism season, so when I had my restaurant I'd buy a couple of hundred pounds and freeze them. Then I'd use them all summer in things like lobster omelets or a lobster Caesar salad. If someone wanted a fresh market lobster I'd do that too, but those I'd buy from wholesaler at market price. They'd have been in the tanks for a while, but so be it.

Speaking of live lobster and crabs in a holding tank, how long do they keep this way before their quality deteriorates?  Our local Superstore has quite a large seafood service with tanks.  We often get a crab when the tanks are full.  When I ask how long they have a lot been there they often don’t know unless the manager is on duty and he usually knows.  I buy them when they have been in there less than a week. Of course have no idea where they were kept before arriving at the store.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Speaking of live lobster and crabs in a holding tank, how long do they keep this way before their quality deteriorates? 

According to Maine's Lobster Institute they *can* survive for months in a properly maintained tank, but they're not typically fed in storage (food and feces muck up the water, require added filtration, etc) so it doesn't take long before the quality starts to slide. From what I've been told by suppliers in my area, 2-3 weeks in-tank is the usual limit before quality and mortality rates become problematic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Okanagancook 

that's a very interesting question 

the only crabs ( here it comes ! ) Ive dealt with 

personally , came from a seafood store  and were SF area crabs

at their peak 

I was try8ing to find out this , via google

and only got ' three days live in the refrigerator if kept damp .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im wondering if geese , destined for the FG mill

in FR or elsewhere , have been ' neutered '   ' geese-wise '

pictures Ive seen of the feeding pens etc , the G's look very placid.

we had geese growing up , along w ducks and chickens 

in a large ' coop '

a 4 year old had no trouble taking an egg from a duck nest.

trying to get an egg from a Goose nest  , an entirely different matter .

Watch geese are indeed forces of nature, and not to be underestimated.    However, I believe that geese that are being raised for FG rather quickly become addicted to the gravage process, the sensation of being overfed and are pretty placid.   

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

@chromedome 

thanks for that information .

2 weeks seems a bit long

but my ref. is not selfish  ....   cold water habitat 

and cold water physiology .

I imagine the Shellfish Industry 

both scientifically and commercially has looked into this

extensively 

very difficult to measure ' cooked taste '

the goal here 

what about just weight // time ?

On 1/1/2023 at 9:33 AM, Shelby said:

couldn't find goose foie gras, though.  I wonder if that's everywhere or the places I checked were just sold out?  Duck was just as good IMO.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've never seen goose foie outside of France (doesn't mean it doesn't exist) but goose foie IS even better, if you can imagine it 

My guess is the raising of ducks is much more economical; they probably grow faster, and then the butchering of them leaves lots to sell separately to a public that is way more used to eating duck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo 

excellent points 

therefore , here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dordogne

https://foodcharmer.com/thank-god-its-foieday-foie-gras-lives-on-in-dordogne-france/

there are Geese ' trimmings ' 

do they make confit :

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/confit-goose-legs-recipe

( sorry , from GB )

or pate ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

foiesign.jpg.41482a56ba0d4910707d1caff230865a.jpg

Careful - this is a popular tourist trap: they lure you in with a sign promising Foie & wine, but once you are in, all they serve is Champagne & Coquilles St Jacques gratinées …

The French - unbelievable 😱

• Haha 7

Emergency pizza: 45 min dough (because that’s how long it takes to heat the pizza steel) …

“Pepperoni” (actually Hungarian Kolbász)

F3E73312-1168-4963-810B-045D3A70CAD0.thumb.jpeg.0e4346d2c6f2f47227cd8b17cda606ea.jpeg

Crumb was acceptable …

306B0BA6-001A-4D70-9A30-6C473D842583.thumb.jpeg.813de5995cc487f5cc66a0efe5c85d46.jpeg

Mushroom, baked ham and Italian salsiccia (forgot that I am alone at the moment and ate only half of #1 🥲)

782A4FF4-CB80-40DA-BCAA-E5AB43644F5E.thumb.jpeg.b8bb04fe6f0997fc80f14df52e8eb2f0.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

@Duvel 

OKay , Okay , Okay ...

Joe Pesci  , Lethal weapon ( many )

that Coquilles St Jacques , its a la Parisienne ?

then im fine with it .

re:

looks mighty tasty to me either way .

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Emergency pizza: 45 min dough (because that’s how long it takes to heat the pizza steel) …

F3E73312-1168-4963-810B-045D3A70CAD0.thumb.jpeg.0e4346d2c6f2f47227cd8b17cda606ea.jpeg

Crumb was acceptable …

306B0BA6-001A-4D70-9A30-6C473D842583.thumb.jpeg.813de5995cc487f5cc66a0efe5c85d46.jpeg

Mushroom, baked ham and Italian salsiccia (forgot that I am alone at the moment and ate only half of #1 🥲)

782A4FF4-CB80-40DA-BCAA-E5AB43644F5E.thumb.jpeg.b8bb04fe6f0997fc80f14df52e8eb2f0.jpeg

What movie did you watch?

I'd be interested in the details of your 45 minute dough.  It's been a long time since I've had a pizza.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

36 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What movie did you watch?

I'd be interested in the details of your 45 minute dough.  It's been a long time since I've had a pizza.

Dune. The “classic” one …

Dough is 500 g flour, 300 mL (warm) water, 15 g olive oil, 7 g salt, generous pinch of sugar, one package of instant dry yeast (Dr. Oetker) and half a pack of baking powder (7.5 g, Dr. Oetker). Combine, 3 x stretch and fold (in 10 min intervals), ball after last s&f and let rise for 15 min more - all done in a covered bowl swimming in a sink full of warm water.

Edited by Duvel
Ups - forgot the sugar … (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Dune. The “classic” one …

Dough is 500 g flour, 300 mL (warm) water, 15 g olive oil, 7 g salt, generous pinch of sugar, one package of instant dry yeast (Dr. Oetker) and half a pack of baking powder (7.5 g, Dr. Oetker). Combine, 3 x stretch and fold (in 10 min intervals), ball after last s&f and let rise for 15 min more - all done in a covered bowl swimming in a sink full of warm water.

How many grams in the package of instant yeast?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

7 g (or the equivalent of half a cube fresh yeast), sufficient for 500 g flour.

Ha! Fresh yeast cubes are a childhood memory. All packets now. No Dr, O - Fleischmanns

Happy Anniversary @Shelbyand your Ronnie!
And Happy New Year, everyone!

Had most of our family (-3), my 85 year old brother and s-i-l, join us for a second Christmas, NY, and early celebration for my hubby's upcoming 80th. bday!

Had snacks and present opening in the afternoon, mostly sweet plus my sil's curry beef in short pastry:

97731604_2.dainties.jpg.c1f8f6b5f2fe8f66606593dff2c56832.jpg

I had made a kitchen schedule for myself and stuck to it. Cooked veg sides early in the morning then reheated. Followed by 2 doz Yorkshire puddings, reheated just before sitting down, then the 4-rib prime roast (Montreal steak spice) and a 5 lb tenderloin (rosemary, garlic, butter rub).

Vietnamese Summer Rolls

290152832_6RosemaryBeefTenderloin.thumb.jpg.29fb01d6ecc8e70077ba43dcba5e82cc.jpg

Carrot casserole that I kinda scorched the breadcrumbs when I turned on air-fry instead of air roast. Easily salvaged by brushing off the burnt crumbs

662810623_11CarrotCasserole.jpg.6d705021f679843b048de894701ebf6c.jpg

Green bean Butternut squash, cranberries, pecan with maple syrup and lemon juice dressing. Supposed to salad, but I served it warm

1649463934_10GreenBeancasserol.jpg.f5216a2bae257fd024490aa58e8eff50.jpg

Baked taters                                                                         522402367_9RoastTaters.jpg.e46fab636a57a12e5172592bd2ddc7a5.jpg                                                                            

Yorkies:

1366838977_3Yorkies.jpg.c7e0869144bc3323f6db92ccbb9ec8b0.jpg
  Prime Rib roast                                                   891605154_4PrimeRib.jpg.c207a9cdbc2d3f01ca3da9349f224931.jpg

Started the roast off at 525 for an hour, then turned down to 250 for 2 hours.
During the first hour, I seared the tenderloin, then roasted in the 250F oven for 1 hour.

2031398174_6Rosemary.jpg.60479260bb3ca55dbbaf0fda76fd4aa2.jpg

Didn't want to bother making bday cake or our usual trifle, so ordered 2 DQ ice cream logs as hubby's birthday cake. It was a lovely evening, and there was lots leftover to send home with the kids!

7 Summer Rolls.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Apologies for the duplicate summer roll pic at end of my post. Tried "edit" to cut it out, but just won't go! They were not the leftovers sent home. LOL!

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com