• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Still dining solo - husband will be in hospital at least over the weekend. I realized that I have been woefully low on veg since I've been eating on my own so decided to emulate a favourite salad from our local pub. Golden beets, spinach, toasted pecans, blue cheese and cherry tomatoes. Their dressing is a maple dijon vinagrette which I made up as I went along. When I was in the market buying spinach, their soup of the day was "Wicked Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup." I bought a cup because it smelled so good. It has a fair amount of spice and heat and went well with the salad.

S_8838.jpg

Thai coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai, with various spelling variants) is amazing stuff, and easy to make if you can find the ingredients. David Thompson's recipe is a good starting point - definitely add nam prik pao (chile jam) at the end to taste - it leaves lovely sweet red chile-flavored globules of goodness on the surface of the soup.

And best to you and your husband, of course.

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Still dining solo - husband will be in hospital at least over the weekend. I realized that I have been woefully low on veg since I've been eating on my own so decided to emulate a favourite salad from our local pub. Golden beets, spinach, toasted pecans, blue cheese and cherry tomatoes. Their dressing is a maple dijon vinagrette which I made up as I went along. When I was in the market buying spinach, their soup of the day was "Wicked Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup." I bought a cup because it smelled so good. It has a fair amount of spice and heat and went well with the salad.

S_8838.jpg

Thai coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai, with various spelling variants) is amazing stuff, and easy to make if you can find the ingredients. Here is one of many recipes - definitely add nam prik pao (chile jam) at the end to taste - it leaves lovely sweet red chile-flavored globules of goodness on the surface of the soup.

And best to you and your husband, of course.

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

S_8838.jpg

Thai coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai, with various spelling variants) is amazing stuff, and easy to make if you can find the ingredients. Here is one of many recipes - definitely add nam prik pao (chile jam) at the end to taste - it leaves lovely sweet red chile-flavored globules of goodness on the surface of the soup.

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

S_8838.jpg

Thai coconut chicken soup (tom kha gai, with various variants) is amazing stuff, and easy to make if you can find the ingredients. Here is one of many recipes - definitely add nam prik pao (chile jam) at the end to taste - it leaves lovely sweet red chile-flavored globules of goodness on the surface of the soup.