• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Raamo

Raamo

How did I forget the chickpeas...

4 hours ago, &roid said:

Nice! Care to share some details of this recipe? It looks lovely 

It's a  multi step recipe.  I used to order at the authors restaurant.

Inside the book is 2 version of ras el hanout - a easy version and the restaurant version - I made the "hard core" version and it's amazing!

So the kefka is ground duck with ras el hanout, onions, other spices, panko, and an egg.

The sauce is tomatoes, onions, and harissa: I use AB's version.

You finish it with chickpeas + sauce + kefka then once they all hot add egg yolks, preserved lemon, and cilantro. 

The Ras El hanout, Harrisa, and Preserved Lemon really make the dish for me.  

The cook book is only $12 right now (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  it's got a lot of neat recipes.  We enjoyed the slow cooked green beans at the restaurant, and have made it at home our selves.

He's got a recipe for chicken bastilla in the cookbook that I plan to make next weekend for guests.  Uses the Ras el Hanout as well as the Preserved Lemon.   I've made it before and it's the best meat pie I've ever had.

We're down to the final 1/4 or so of preserved lemon in our fridge - so I started a new Jar - it'll be "ready" in a few months - Alton says you can use it after 30 days, but it's much better after 6 months or more.  Our current stock is a few years old.

Here's the new lemons and salt compared to the years old lemons and salt.

20230318_125039.thumb.jpg.d8cd0bddd9109b5758fb84003528fc3a.jpg

You usually only use the rind - it's super soft and the flavor is amazing!

Raamo

Raamo

How did I forget the chickpeas...

4 hours ago, &roid said:

Inside the book is 2 version of ras el hanout - a easy version and the restaurant version - I made the "hard core" version and it's amazing!

So the kefka is ground duck with ras el hanout, onions, other spices, panko, and an egg.

The sauce is tomatoes, onions, and harissa: I use AB's version.

You finish it with chickpeas + sauce + kefka then once they all hot add egg yolks, preserved lemon, and cilantro. 

The cook book is only $12 right now (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  it's got a lot of neat recipes.  We enjoyed the slow cooked green beans at the restaurant, and have made it at home our selves.

He's got a recipe for chicken bastilla in the cookbook that I plan to make next weekend for guests.  Uses the Ras el Hanout as well as the Preserved Lemon.   I've made it before and it's the best meat pie I've ever had.

We're down to the final 1/6 or so of preserved lemon in our fridge - so I started a new Jar - it'll be "ready" in a few months - Alton says you can use it after 30 days, but it's much better after 6 months or more.  Our current stock is a few years old.

Raamo

Raamo

4 hours ago, &roid said:

The sauce is tomatoes, onions, and harissa: I use AB's version, along with egg yolks, preserved lemon, and cilantro. 

We're down to the final 1/6 or so of preserved lemon in our fridge - so I started a new Jar - it'll be "ready" in a few months - Alton says you can use it after 30 days, but it's much better after 6 months or more.  Our current stock is a few years old.