• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I wanted to vary our St. Patrick's day boiled dinner from our usual.  I made cabbage fritters instead of boiled, Irish baked potatoes instead of boiled and @Shelby the recipe looks pretty much the same as the British baked potatoes you made and were discussing with mommpomps and CookBot last October.  But this recipe said 'Irish' so I felt that gave me permission to make them today.  Everyone liked them. I made Irish soda scones instead of soda bread, Irish whisky butter and Irish Pots de Créme. To drink,  I had an Irish red ale. I did boil the rutabagas, carrots and corned beef.  I got a good price on a whole brisket in Feb. and pickled it for 4 or 5 weeks instead of the usual  1 1/2 to 2.  It was a little more salty than before.  I won't do that again.  The Pots de Créme were in small tea cups but it was so rich, that even that was too much for one serving.

IMG_0767.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I wanted to vary our St. Patrick's day boiled dinner from our usual.  I made cabbage fritters instead of boiled, Irish baked potatoes instead of boiled and @Shelby the recipe looks pretty much the same as the British baked potatoes you made and were discussing with mommpomps and CookBot last October.  But this recipe I found said 'Irish' so I felt that gave me permission to make them today.  Everyone liked them. I made Irish soda scones instead of soda bread, Irish whisky butter and Irish Pots de Créme. To drink,  I had an Irish red ale. I did boil the rutabagas, carrots and corned beef.  I got a good price on a whole brisket in Feb. and pickled it for 4 or 5 weeks instead of the usual  1 1/2 to 2.  It was a little more salty than before.  I won't do that again.  The Pots de Créme were in small tea cups but it was so rich, that even that was too much for one serving.

IMG_0767.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I wanted to vary our St. Patrick's day boiled dinner from our usual.  I made cabbage fritters instead of boiled, Irish baked potatoes instead of boiled and @Shelby the recipe looks pretty much the same as the British baked potatoes you made and were discussing with mommpomps and CookBot last October.  But this recipe I found said 'Irish' so a felt that gave me permission to make them today.  Everyone liked them. I made Irish soda scones instead of soda bread, Irish whisky butter and Irish Pots de Créme. To drink,  I had an Irish red ale. II did boil the rutabagas, carrots and corned beef.  I got a good price on a whole brisket in Feb. and pickled it for 4 or 5 weeks instead of the usual  1 1/2 to 2.  It was a little more salty than before.  I won't do that again.  The Pots de Créme were in small tea cups but it was so rich, that even that was too much for one serving.

IMG_0767.jpg