• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

Add pic

Palak paneer (spinach with freshly made curd cheese) and turmeric rice. Palak paneer at a local restaurant years ago got me started on Indian food, and remains a favorite. Anyway, food tasted great and the house smelled amazing.

I had never made fresh curd cheese before. The recipe said to barely boil milk (I used half and half), add yogurt, lime juice, and salt, and simmer for a few minutes before straining out the whey.

Curds separated nicely. I squeezed them in cheesecloth but there was no way they were holding together when “stirred gently” into the spinach mixture. So I need to check some other sources on making paneer. I vaguely recall hearing about a paneer press, for those who make it regularly.

Still tasted delicious, but I prefer the texture of paneer in chunks.

Palak_paneer_202303.jpg

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

Add pic

Palak paneer (spinach with freshly made curd cheese) and turmeric rice. Palak paneer at a local restaurant years ago got me started on Indian food, and remains a favorite. Anyway, food tasted great and the house smelled amazing.

I had never made fresh curd cheese before. The recipe said to barely boil milk (I used half and half), add yogurt, lime juice, and salt, and simmer for a few minutes before straining out the whey.

Curds separated nicely. I squeezed them in cheesecloth but there was no way they were holding together when “stirred gently” into the spinach mixture. So I need to check some other sources on making paneer. I vaguely recall hearing about a paneer press, for those who make it regularly.

Palak_paneer_202303.jpg

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

Add pic

I had never made fresh curd cheese before. The recipe said to barely boil milk (I used half and half), add yogurt, lime juice, and salt, and simmer for a few minutes, and they strain out the whey.

Palak_paneer_202303.jpg

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

I had never made fresh curd cheese before. The recipe said to barely boil milk (I used half and half), add yogurt, lime juice, and salt, and simmer for a few minutes, and they strain out the whey.