• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Raamo

Raamo

So short story behind this dinner.  I got covid from the person who cut my hair almost 2 weeks ago.  That lead to us having to cancel two weekends (concerts with dinner out both times) including today.  I've also been unable to drink wine due to being sick and then to being on antivirals which keep the liver busy enough that alcohol is a bad idea.

Skip to today - I'm on the mend still - got a 2nd infection - and now on antibiotics - but they don't inhibit wine. :)

Waygu Ribeye has gone up quit a bit in price - so this is a $32 steak..  But we've saved so much money from not eating out...

20230204_173505.thumb.jpg.9a4ef249557dc379403623172791f1ce.jpg

I had mashed potatoes for lunch - so I decided to cube and fry these.  So tasty.  Not pictured is some Hawaii salt we picked up in Hawaii. 

Also not pictured other then the bottom of the glass is a 2012 HDV Cabernet Sauvignon.  I have 6 bottles of this wine - had no plans to open any of them up yet but the last 2 weeks have been hell.  I've not been this sick in over a decade.  So I was like screw it - lets open a really good bottle of wine. (It's on the higher price for cab then I normally buy) It had more fruit then I'm used to in my aged cabs - worked REALLY well with the steak.

Also I got to searzall the steak for the first time.  So that's cool.

Raamo

Raamo

So short story behind this dinner.  I got covid from the person who cut my hair almost 2 weeks ago.  That lead to us having to cancel two weekends including today where we were supposed to go out for dinner and eat out.  I've also been unable to drink first to being sick and then to being on antivirals which keep the liver busy enough that alcohol is a bad idea.

Skip to today - I'm on the mend still - got a 2nd infection - and now on antibiotics - but they don't inhibit wine. :)

Waygu Ribeye has gone up quit a bit in price - so this is a $32 steak..  But we've saved so much money from not eating out...

20230204_173505.thumb.jpg.9a4ef249557dc379403623172791f1ce.jpg

I had mashed potatoes for lunch - so I decided to cube and fry these.  So tasty.  Not pictured is some Hawaii salt we picked up in Hawaii. 

Also not pictured other then the bottom of the glass is a 2012 HDV Cabernet Sauvignon.  I have 6 bottles of this wine - had no plans to open any of them up yet but the last 2 weeks have been hell.  I've not been this sick in over a decade.  So I was like screw it - lets open a really good bottle of wine. (It's on the higher price for cab then I normally buy) It had more fruit then I'm used to in my aged cabs - worked REALLY well with the steak.

Also I got to searzall the steak for the first time.  So that's cool.