• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

5 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

@Tropicalsenior  Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe; probably others on e-gullet do.  I can walk to a half dozen tortas places and I let them do the work.  Lazy me, happy me.  

I have bought rolls labeled "bolillos" in Tucson, a city with large Mexican population.  Tried a number of Latino places...they were uniformly awful...soft crust and the inside was fluffy.  They reminded me of the sandwich rolls from Puebla (cemitas).  In fact the pictures in your link look very much like cemita rolls.  

Our local bolillos look like this....notice the 'waist' on them....you can buy whole ( a doble) or break in half if that's all you want.  

When I am in US and want to make a torta ahogado, I start with a proper French baguette.  

bolillo.jpg

Yup on point observation, Glad you have access to the custy heartier style.

heidih

heidih

4 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

@Tropicalsenior  Sorry I don't have a carnitas recipe; probably others on e-gullet do.  I can walk to a half dozen tortas places and I let them do the work.  Lazy me, happy me.  

I have bought rolls labeled "bolillos" in Tucson, a city with large Mexican population.  Tried a number of Latino places...they were uniformly awful...soft crust and the inside was fluffy.  They reminded me of the sandwich rolls from Puebla (cemitas).  In fact the pictures in your link look very much like cemita rolls.  

Our local bolillos look like this....notice the 'waist' on them....you can buy whole ( a doble) or break in half if that's all you want.  

When I am in US and want to make a torta ahogado, I start with a proper French baguette.  

bolillo.jpg

Yup on point pbservation, Glad you have acess to the custy heartier stylle.