• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

29 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Leftovers for lunch: shrimp patia, cumin rice, and cucumber riata.

Truffled hot sauce and fish sauce gave the patia some pop, and a squeeze of lemon brightened up the raita. Live and learn.

I am having trouble aligning you with truffled hot sauce. Explanation please

40 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am having trouble aligning you with truffled hot sauce. Explanation please

How so? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mrs. C picked up Truff at Costco. I like thick and flavorful hot sauces, as opposed to the usual thin and vinegary ones. The earthy scent is a bonus.

15 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

How so? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mrs. C picked up Truff at Costco. I like thick and flavorful hot sauces, as opposed to the usual thin and vinegary ones. The earthy scent is a bonus.

Interesting - had to google.  The things that I miss not being into TikTok!

Kielbasa with yellow squash and zucchini, flavored with white onion, garlic, chipotle in adobo, jalapeno, and cooked down tomatillo salsa, and then finished with Mexican oregano and feta cheese.

Polish tacos, maybe?  :wink:

2E9C00A5-F036-4584-8D8B-1E252A6A9C76.jpeg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Comida típica Canaria. I wish.

The only thing that's "Canaria" here is the spicy sauce I brought back from Lanzarote. But the meal is Lanzarote-inspired. The potatoes, red and green sauces are essential prerequisites.
zqYbbPk.jpg

Purslane and mixed Turkish pickles
l6ITaT1.jpg

One of my favourite fish, haddock. Cooked in the oven. Sizzling crispy garlic on top of the fish when ready to eat.
xXgMgRh.jpg

Green sauce is eaten with seafood on Lanzarote. (Coriander, parsley, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, lime juice...)
Hq3e0gc.jpg

Dry Riesling
hggDP9q.jpg

Bought it here:
IWSqVkr.jpg

Ja, I vas zere, at Trossen's last June.
dizwOEI.jpg

• Like 10

I tweaked the recipe for Hominy w/Black Beans, Summer Squash, Basil + Mojo de Ajo from Grist to make it better reflect the season (and the contents of my fridge), delicata squash for the summer squash and used oregano instead of basil as the fresh herb. 
B39CF93E-92C4-47AB-93D9-2DA8C265C107_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4339a31f1f79e7945abf75e29a5133cd.jpeg

The mojo de ajo is made with garlic, slow-roasted along with fresh oregano in olive oil, then mixed with lime and orange zest and juice.  Tasty stuff. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Took part of my team out for business lunch after a workshop to our company restaurant. Friday = fish day …

Beetroot-cured salmon on a sweet beetroot compote with a potato gratin cube (covered in leek ash) …

2EC9D3DD-1EF1-4229-884B-D93EB07FF01D.thumb.jpeg.704ead46305b5e6ee982233cb8b3ec39.jpeg

Pikeperch (a very popular fish here), served with cauliflower and parsley root on a fregula-choriço bed …

79BBAAD8-B094-4858-B25C-C2215F5A3ED7.thumb.jpeg.14f2c9bb5b09104b543481be56c0f83d.jpeg

Carrot coconut cake …

BB276808-8B2E-4C1B-9F59-E2D47FBEC379.thumb.jpeg.8743a5eb69a3d213e27675697762c1bc.jpeg

All quite good 🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 4

We have very fast-changing and unpredictable weather the last couple of weeks. My mode of transport is my bicycle so I'm highly weather dependent thus meals have been simple, eating from the freezer and cupboards.

Strained yoghurt for spreading on sourdough bread, then other things go on top.
YRmOOce.jpg

Like this. Orange bits are trout roe.
2AoL2jO.jpg

Breads, shrimp shell broth and horseradish cream.
YAVAtTL.jpg

Another meal...

Pork mince with lemongrass, shrimp paste, fish sauce.
za72seL.jpg

Another pork mince version with salted black beans, ginger, soy sauce, black vinegar.
6HPfcp1.jpg

Merlot from Chile
IiVBBLZ.jpg

Bergamot lemons/oranges. I have made marmalade with half. So. very. intense. Surely these are not for everyone.
VAfqsmF.jpg

Stormy spring weather today but we have been having lots of rain, hail, sleet, snow, and some sun as well. First to bloom (in my garden), basking in the sun, my poor old bay laurel , cold spring, the garden fluffball.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

18 hours ago, heidih said:

@BonVivant what do you call that dense thin square bread? I can get it once in a while in unexpected places but have not seen lately - know on-line but I try to control myself.

I went through the rubbish like a hyena to look for the packaging 🧐

There are many types of rye bread and this one is Rhine regional style.

d1BZEvD.jpg

9bbYM12.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

I went through the rubbish like a hyena to look for the packaging 🧐

There are many types of rye bread and this one is Rhine regional style.

d1BZEvD.jpg

9bbYM12.jpg

Thank you so much for your effort. Yours mirrors the one I've had.

• Like 1

This creation is a delicacy of the gods, a delight that my grandmother used to take bread and cheese, and all the cuts that she caught from bacon and sausage, and put it all in the wood-fired oven... with a brutal flavor.

2BreadCheeseEgullet.thumb.gif.84db8b0cdfb251dc8a9bacaaee5d8171.gif

This one I usually make has bacon, onion, blue and cheddar cheese, sundried tomatoes, black pepper and chili powder, and double cream to make it creamy.

1BreadCheeseEgullet.thumb.gif.4744ccb1f6a38a9071b987b3da4fd064.gif

The bread is a round loaf with the top cut off and hollowed out like a pumpkin with a spoon. All the ingredients are introduced, mixed carefully and cooked, and given a blow in the oven to make it crispier.

With the bread crumb, make squares and toast them, which will be used for dipping.

Did you have something similar when you grew up in the town?

Edited by Elkyfr (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I was told to use up some of our frozen goodies to free some space in the freezer (which then gets filled up with new frozen goodies). So …

Squid tentacles, fried with garlic, onions, tomatoes, red wine and parsley …

D1F76B16-89C6-4C10-8B81-D8E4F36BA022.thumb.jpeg.53ba154d783ad7904fca19e169f23de2.jpeg

Squid bodies, filled with blood sausage, breadcrumbs, raisins and pine nuts …

3AE8C6A7-8E6A-4C6A-A5AB-8AFD89604B6A.thumb.jpeg.5edb2fe5ffa5c17f5332ea871b320cc4.jpeg

Braised for an hour or so, then reheated today for lunch. Little one had seconds 🤗

2CBC2A96-1ED5-4176-A84A-03E042641C4E.thumb.jpeg.a864d1fae0a4cdc671bcaad86b716b33.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Duvel

one of the several food items Ive never used regularly 

is squid , which I love.

you've done an outstanding job , using something i should have .

' Stuffed Shells  ( calamari shells ) '

when you bake squid , how long do you allow the squid to bake

to go through the ' Tough Phase '  ?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

one of the several food items Ive never used regularly 

is squid , which I love.

you've done an outstanding job , using something i should have .

' Stuffed Shells  ( calamari shells ) '

when you bake squid , how long do you allow the squid to bake

to go through the ' Tough Phase '  ?

I'd say about 45 min at low heat ...

• Like 1

@Duvel  

excellent .

as your current effort , as I understand it

came from Fz Squid   

if you froze the squid from an  ultra-fresh purchase 

vs from a reputable Fz product 

all freezer seals being ' tight '

would you notice any difference 

' on the plate ? '

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel  

excellent .

as your current effort , as I understand it

came from Fz Squid   

if you froze the squid from an  ultra-fresh purchase 

vs from a reputable Fz product 

all freezer seals being ' tight '

would you notice any difference 

' on the plate ? '

I think squid is quite forgiving when it comes to freezing ...

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I was told to use up some of our frozen goodies to free some space in the freezer (which then gets filled up with new frozen goodies). So …

Squid tentacles, fried with garlic, onions, tomatoes, red wine and parsley …

D1F76B16-89C6-4C10-8B81-D8E4F36BA022.thumb.jpeg.53ba154d783ad7904fca19e169f23de2.jpeg

Squid bodies, filled with blood sausage, breadcrumbs, raisins and pine nuts …

3AE8C6A7-8E6A-4C6A-A5AB-8AFD89604B6A.thumb.jpeg.5edb2fe5ffa5c17f5332ea871b320cc4.jpeg

Braised for an hour or so, then reheated today for lunch. Little one had seconds 🤗

2CBC2A96-1ED5-4176-A84A-03E042641C4E.thumb.jpeg.a864d1fae0a4cdc671bcaad86b716b33.jpeg

Sausage stuffed squid was my intro to the delicious little things. Curious on slitting and opening and then closing withe toothpicks rather than just stuffing whole. Easier to clean or more stuffing space? I have small hands versus you I imagine.

• Like 1