• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

17 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@Kim Shook

The mushroom agnolotti in mushroom sauce gets my top vote.

Mine too!  Bought pasta making kit a few years back but we have never really got into the habit.  @Kim Shook you have inspired me to get the boxes down and have a try at something along the lines of those mushroom parcels….

• Like 1

Slowly returning to my usual routine. Slowly. There's still the rest of Mexico photos to sort but can't deal with that during the week.

Feels a bit strange not eating corn tortillas all day long. But I'm most happy to be eating cheese again. 16 month old Comte and 3 smelly ones.
iWnc0lc.jpg

This blob has some quark, horseradish, prawn roe and North Sea shrimp.
Zkp6cUd.jpg

Made a pot of broth with the shrimp shells
hQA3EM3.jpg

Sardines in chipotle sauce (bought in Mexico). Not spicy at all and the quality of the fish is inferior to Portuguese/Spanish/Greek/Moroccan/Croatian etc.
2B9B7Uz.jpg

cfuf04C.jpg

Love visiting Mexico but also love to be home again.
aSPNRuO.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

17 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Love visiting Mexico but also love to be home again.
aSPNRuO.jpg

I‘d also love to visit Mexico, but I‘d surely love to visit your home to enjoy this spread, too 🤗

• Like 3

Lunch today was a Great Northern bean salad, Italian tuna, fennel, shallots, capers  and black olives. A spritz of lemon, lemon zest plus a vinaigrette were the dressings.  Ciabatta on the side was a welcome addition.

770AC7C9-D0AA-4C0D-829F-732B0EE51374.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Clean-out-the-fridge fried rice, with arroz verde, asparagus, bacon, escabeche sauce, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, half a white onion, fish sauce, egg, and cilantro.

Should’ve let the rice dry out a bit on the counter before it hit the wok. But hey, tasted good and I cleared plenty of space in the fridge.

Fried_rice_green_2013-03.thumb.jpg.5045b8c3592fe1d25829193263f83a0f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook Lipton’s noodle soup is an absolute comfort food for me. I remember when they made “giggle noodle soup”. I wish it wasn’t discontinued. 

Now I want to make Lipton’s soup and it’s verging on Friday during lent. 

I suppose I’ve done worse things. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Kim Shook Lipton’s noodle soup is an absolute comfort food for me. I remember when they made “giggle noodle soup”. I wish it wasn’t discontinued. 

Now Ibatch and kept in a special tin. want to make Lipton’s soup and it’s verging on Friday during lent. 

I suppose I’ve done worse things. 

Oh yes the box of Liptons chicken noodle was always in the house. We didn't consider that "meat" re religious practice. Pretty salty as I recall so we used more water and added some of the really thin egg noodles Alte Oma made weekly. We dried each noodle batch and kept them in a special tin.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Post-church lunch yesterday at our favorite lunch counter.  Mr. Kim’s corned beef on rye and their housemade beef vegetable soup:

1-IMG_2449.thumb.jpg.0dbe06edd394d4e3a1869dcfd8292e12.jpg

My chicken and rice soup (also housemade):

1-IMG_2451.jpg.bae6c0e3e5c5506082130ef1d4c94ec0.jpg

My chicken salad sandwich:

1-IMG_2450.thumb.jpg.1044ed3f708172e8b35d62060de8221a.jpg

We joked that I basically had two servings of chicken and carbs. 

Lunch today was leftovers from Mexican out last night:

1-IMG_2473.jpg.0b6c63937b0a182225c7b19231b68132.jpg

One whole beef burrito and about half of the rice.  The CSO does such a great job on leftovers. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Expecting to be snowed in today, I decided to make our corned beef for lunch. Mashed potatoes, cabbage and scallions was our side for the CB.

The corned beef was from Aldi and it did not disappoint, it was very moist and tender.  Cooked in the Instant pot, for about 22 minutes per pound, finished temperature was just over 200*. Looking forward to sandwiches tomorrow.

CB005BC0-93B3-4B25-B8C7-403BC77A398A.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Hominy with Seared Chicken Thighs, Radish Salad + Smoked Yogurt from Grist with sautéed baby kale with garlic, lemon confit and red chile.

6A5F1406-5574-42A8-B762-44776405E05C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6ed26d9d88e2eb0981397ee3e928d430.jpeg

I cooked up some of the Rancho Gordo hominy we got in our recent bean club box and decided to try some non-pozole recipes.  In this one, the chicken is first browned on the skin side, then roasted atop the cooked hominy so it's seasoned by the drippings much like other recipes that roast chicken on potatoes or rice, etc.  Very quick and tasty. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add recipe comment (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Leftovers for lunch: shrimp patia, cumin rice, and cucumber riata.

Truffled hot sauce and fish sauce gave the patia some pop, and a squeeze of lemon brightened up the raita. Live and learn.

3BAA392B-4784-4551-A3AA-6507B20E0244.jpeg

Edited by C. sapidus
Add pic (log)
  • Like 6