• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

Basic Chicken Curry is ANYTHING basic in this cookbook...  This is from page 456 from 1000 Indian Recipes.

I love this dish.  Few changes.  We bought a rotisserie chicken on Friday so we used already cooked meat.  

This means when I never added the chicken to a hot pot, I also did not add a cup of water. 

It was the reserved water from the canned tomatoes (we grow then and can them and they

work fine in this dish, but you don't want the water in the pan with the tomatoes because that

step requires boiling out all the moisture.)

Instead one I added a bit more then just the water from the canned tomatoes to get the texture you see below.  

Once that was done I just poured the hot sauce (this is 1/6 or so - I made a full recipe and we used 1/3 for the two of us)

over the chicken and that heated it up enough to work great.  Every other time I have made this I have sous-

vided the chicken.  The texture of the rotisserie chicken is superior to even that IMO.

20230212_113336.thumb.jpg.e9b1d757a1d9f1f5f0d08cbef1749668.jpg

Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic, Ginger with a bunch of spices including turmeric just make this awesome color.  There is so much depth of flavor too!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

8AA953CC-CED8-4DDC-83EF-B5C4217FC63D.thumb.jpeg.0f69f14d857320d5d5ded1167f35c644.jpeg

I posted about this banh bao in the ladies who lunch topic. I was too full to eat it at lunch yesterday so it was reheated today. Very tasty.  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Tropicalsenior – your cheese biscuits with ham look wonderful.

@Duvel – your leberkase and potatoes look wonderful.  I have found a local source for the leberkase and am going there tomorrow! 

@blue_dolphin – that sweet potato recipe sounds like something all three of us would like.  I’ve put a hold on the book at my library!

Post church brunch a few Sundays back.  We used to go to a close-by “meat and threes” place a lot, but they’ve closed and a new place moved in.  The menu is definitely different less meat and threes and more BBQ, burgers, and deli.  The restaurant is committed to being a part of the community.  They are environmentally responsible, distribute children’s books on the environment to local schools, sponsor monthly river clean ups and are involved in training and job placement with clients of Beyond Boundaries, a local group the helps to provide outdoor adventure trips for folks with disabilities, in recovery and at-risk youth.  Worthy goals and a restaurant I’m happy to support – especially since it was very good and so close to us.  I had the pastrami Rueben and onion rings and even though they were battered (not my favorite version of rings), the flavor and texture were still very good:

1-IMG_2087.jpg.3cf529655fcfdcde30e1e208c2927745.jpg

The pastrami (which they do in-house, along with their corned beef) was very good.  Mr. Kim had the steak and cheese and tots:

1-IMG_2089.jpg.b20b2c74c4ae2056bbcfed6a1202d337.jpg

And we shared an order of spoonbread:

1-IMG_2088.jpg.92d52c93409a56ef2539fde91e1784d4.jpg

Because if there’s spoonbread on a menu, we’re gonna order it.  It was excellent. 

A more recent weekday lunch:

1-IMG_2168.jpg.663e52b84c6e58f67783892cc4231eaf.jpg

The chicken is from the freezer (Tyson’s) – the head cold, upper respiratory thing was still kicking my butt, though I am definitely improved.  The sauce is the orange sauce from a recent frozen orange chicken experiment.  I thought I’d give it one more try.  It is still tasteless and bitter.  Tossing. 

Mr. Kim’s lunch a couple of days ago:

1-IMG_2188.jpg.2ebebf320e7442c366b36a8a34279602.jpg

1-IMG_2189.jpg.a858eca5993fd8382f10e76ef5d44ebc.jpg

I’m not having too hard a time resisting tomatoes right now – even with the decent Camparis.  But I dread summer when we usually eat the farm stand ones every day.  Well, at least I can have (boiled) corn. 

Today:

1-IMG_2217.thumb.jpg.bed04c87d6471bbe34876c89eaa2c964.jpg

Crab Rangoon dip and egg roll wrapper chips leftover from yesterday’s Super Bowl feast and some pork bao with hoisin for dipping. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

King Oyster Mushroom “pulled pork” sandwich, slaw and brioche bun.  Wasn’t bad, texture was a little on the slimy side like mushrooms are. Tried it since my mother is not into meat as much. Could use a little liquid smoke maybe.

44CF1CD6-9BAE-402E-9C9E-24CB2C64A1AF.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, RWood said:

King Oyster Mushroom “pulled pork” sandwich, slaw and brioche bun.  Wasn’t bad, texture was a little on the slimy side like mushrooms are. Tried it since my mother is not into meat as much. Could use a little liquid smoke maybe.

Since liquid smoke can be a bit ot a teeter totter I find soy sauce a better way to bring out the meatiness of King Oyster shrooms. A touch of horseradish or "wasabi" in the slaw is nice too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Was out hunting down the last ingredients for our Valentine's Day dinner and went buy a place that sells these locally produced ice cream sandwiches.  I'd never had this particular one before:

1-IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.5ab077909694ce6e78362bc5c5e8b40e.jpg

It was excellent - real banana ice cream and a peanut butter cooky.  And this surprise made it perfect:

1-69809047120__A340C1CA-49D9-4DAF-85FB-60A27E3AFBC6.thumb.jpg.4fb7f4702dcf0f73a4dc764e84f2605d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RWood said:

Thanks, I’ve never cooked them before. I was really surprised that I found them in Atlanta.

@Kim Shook, that ice cream sandwich sounds perfect.  Peanut butter and banana is one of my favorite combos and the chocolate dip is the icing on the cake!

From Falastin, I made a pulled lamb shawarma sandwich.  The recipe can be found online at this link.  I also made the pita breads, the yogurt/tahini/sumac sauce and shatta (fermented chile condiment that I made with yellow manzana chilies) from the same book. 

63532E6A-7F46-443D-972E-C2417698DE90_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.67130aec03c13acd34589921db7805b4.jpeg

I suspect I have enough lamb for about 10 or 12 more sandwiches 🤣

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 7

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Kim Shook, that ice cream sandwich sounds perfect.  Peanut butter and banana is one of my favorite combos and the chocolate dip is the icing on the cake!

From Falastin, I made a pulled lamb shawarma sandwich.  The recipe can be found online at this link.  I also made the pita breads, the yogurt/tahini/sumac sauce and shatta (fermented chile condiment that I made with yellow manzana chilies) from the same book. 

63532E6A-7F46-443D-972E-C2417698DE90_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.67130aec03c13acd34589921db7805b4.jpeg

I tagged that recipe, thanks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

From Falastin, I made a pulled lamb shawarma sandwich.

We definitely need a swoon emoji for such things. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Definitely not enough!! 🤣

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 2/5/2023 at 8:48 PM, KennethT said:

I tried making the masala shrimp from this video:

Came out really good. I've made south Indian style prawns before but this was definitely the best I've done.

PXL_20230205_190748674.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.2b1da6317d0fbc2161d340ca4494b18b.jpg

I love these videos. I wish there was a bit of chat from the grandma, echoing some of the comments below the clip on YouTube. Looks delicious, totally uncompromised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, billyhill said:

Charred cabbage with dark soy and venison loin medallions.

20230218_112140.jpg

Lovely. Looks luscious. Rare or medium? I have to accept whatever venison is available in the supermarket, unidentified cuts. Our local, apparently successful butcher/farm shop had a fire last year and along with Cxxxd it seems to have been too much; the place is still a burnt out shell. No announcement yet, so still hopeful.

7 hours ago, Kerala said:

I love these videos. I wish there was a bit of chat from the grandma, echoing some of the comments below the clip on YouTube. Looks delicious, totally uncompromised.

I actually like that there's almost no discussion.  It's so relaxing watching her cook, hearing the birds/insects in the background, her rhythmic chopping.  Watching her is like a meditation.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I actually like that there's almost no discussion.  It's so relaxing watching her cook, hearing the birds/insects in the background, her rhythmic chopping.  Watching her is like a meditation.

Well onemight get some handgesturesm but unless you know the language I agree - chatter detracts. (oh gawd and please no music)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, KennethT said:

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well onemight get some handgesturesm but unless you know the language I agree - chatter detracts. (oh gawd and please no music)

I understand what you are saying and can agree, but her language is my mother tongue. The comments in Malayalam on YouTube asking for more chat are all very nostalgic. If you are Malayali living in Kerala this reality is not that difficult to experience. I suspect that most of these comments are from Malayalis who have travelled abroad (like me) or even who have migrated around India.

So, yes, I agree these videos are wonderful as they are. Just for me personally I'd love to hear the language. It's not the content of the language I'm missing. It's the language itself.

@KennethT

The person who is running this YouTube channel seems to be family, based on the sparse recorded dialogue. He is obviously skilled at what he is doing and I appreciate his artistic intent, choices and ability. I'm not in any way trying to give him tips to improve the channel!

Anyway, lunch looked fantastic!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kerala said:

I understand what you are saying and can agree, but her language is my mother tongue. The comments in Malayalam on YouTube asking for more chat are all very nostalgic. If you are Malayali living in Kerala this reality is not that difficult to experience. I suspect that most of these comments are from Malayalis who have travelled abroad (like me) or even who have migrated around India.

So, yes, I agree these videos are wonderful as they are. Just for me personally I'd love to hear the language. It's not the content of the language I'm missing. It's the language itself.

@KennethT

The person who is running this YouTube channel seems to be family, based on the sparse recorded dialogue. He is obviously skilled at what he is doing and I appreciate his artistic intent, choices and ability. I'm not in any way trying to give him tips to improve the channel!

Anyway, lunch looked fantastic!

This makes complete sense to me.  If I saw someone making something speaking in English and it looked amazing, I'd like as much detail as possible also.  And I also understand that those in the diaspora would be a little homesick watching this, and hearing the language would bring it back even more so.

Yeah, I always thought it was her grandkid making the video!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kerala said:

Lovely. Looks luscious. Rare or medium? I have to accept whatever venison is available in the supermarket, unidentified cuts. Our local, apparently successful butcher/farm shop had a fire last year and along with Cxxxd it seems to have been too much; the place is still a burnt out shell. No announcement yet, so still hopeful.

My venison comes from a friend that hunts on a small property we own. Rare is almost always the order of the day for cuts of meat. 2 minutes per side in a pan pulled from a 400f oven onto an eye set to high.

When you say venison, what species are we talking about? Fallow? Red? 

• Haha 1