• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

From my Christmas week in Bude, Cornwall. I booked a restaurant called Temple for lunch on the final day to sidestep washing up. Mine was a fried chicken sandwich. Very nice.

PXL_20231229_153220582.thumb.jpg.d9abe3031e3e8da064070557a290372f.jpg

The menu was short but served vegetarians and carnivores. There were 18 of us, and everyone was very happy with their meals. Service was attentive but relaxed. Michelin guide likes this place, too.

The way people speak in Britain changes just miles across the country. In Nottingham I'm used to being called "duck" or "me duck." "Love" or "luv" probably everyone knows. In Cornwall the young waitress called me "my love" which felt a bit weird, but nowhere as odd as being addressed as "my lover" in Somerset.

Edited by Kerala
"Temple." (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Kerala said:

The way people speak in Britain changes just miles across the country. In Nottingham I'm used to being called "duck" or "me duck." "Love" or "luv" probably everyone knows. In Cornwall the young waitress called me "my love" which felt a bit weird, but nowhere as odd as being addressed as "my lover" in Somerset.

The latter was common in my part of Newfoundland, where a lot of the families originally arrived from Somerset.

"My part" in this context meaning "where my family hails from and where I lived as a teen, 40-odd years ago."

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...