• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

Brats on the menu today, poached,  then sautéed in a little duck fat. Sauerkraut cooked in white wine and a small dollop of duck fat, and, no surprise here, potatoes sautéed in duck fat with garlic and parsley.

IMG_3795.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

23 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Farro salad with preserved lemon vinaigrette on a bed of endive and sorrel.  The farro salad included julienned pork tenderloin, tuna, radish, tomatoes, capers, black olives, mint, parsley and chervil.

For dessert we had a strawberry cake , today with sour cream and strawberries, yesterday we had it with strawberry gelato.

IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3787.jpeg

That strawberry cake looks fabulous - a nice departure from shortcake. It looks to be a bit custardy - is it? Our local strawberries should be ready near the end of June - can't wait!

1 minute ago, OlyveOyl said:

@MaryIsobelThe strawberry cake is moist but not custardy. It has almond flour in it and stays fresh for several days. I use it as a basic cake recipe that I top with seasonal fruit. 

If it is a recipe that you will share, I'd love to have it. Being that there is usually just the two of us, something that keeps is always a good idea.

@MaryIsobel .https://lovefoodies.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/771/print

Raspberry and almond cake , hope this link works for you, I took it off a print page.

I recommend cake strips around the sides of the pan, after ten minutes, I slide a thin cookie sheet underneath to prevent over browning.  I bake at 350* convection bake and drop the temperature to 335* after ten minutes.  It is the same recipe as the fig and also the raspberry almond I posted in the Sweets thread.

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OlyveOyl said:

@MaryIsobel .https://lovefoodies.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/771/print

Raspberry and almond cake , hope this link works for you, I took it off a print page.

I recommend cake strips around the sides of the pan, after ten minutes, I slide a thin cookie sheet underneath to prevent over browning.  I bake at 350* convection bake and drop the temperature to 335* after ten minutes.  It is the same recipe as the fig and also the raspberry almond I posted in the Sweets thread.

Thank you - and thanks for the baking tips. I appreciate that it seems to be a lovely dessert that comes together quickly.

• Like 1

Lentils from Puglia arrived in the most recent Rancho Bean Club box so I subbed them in for the Castelluccio lentils from Umbria called for in this recipe for lentils on toast with favas, mint and chèvre from Renee Erickson's Getaway, Food and Drink to Transport You

60C8518D-8386-44BB-B329-8C9B9B5B09CD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.09eaa9f223ce43ebff80fafb20623a71.jpeg

The legumes are mixed with olive oil, lemon zest and olives before being piled on top of grilled bread spread with goat cheese. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

IMG_3025.thumb.jpeg.18ceb80734b0cfcb982dc8748ba976b4.jpeg

Progresso beef pot roast soup.  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Afternoon tea at Tom Brown's in East Bridgford near Nottingham.

IMG_20230601_194529.thumb.jpg.62360573ae7b7b2a271e921e17cb27d3.jpg

Savoury sandwiches on the benches, scones and cakes on the table top set upon a green "lawn."

IMG_20230601_192912.thumb.jpg.4dff5e6b59e4354f711c95182a5e8ebc.jpg

Various teas.

Kitsch, but delicious and generous.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

2 hours ago, Kerala said:

Afternoon tea at Tom Brown's in East Bridgford near Nottingham.

IMG_20230601_194529.thumb.jpg.62360573ae7b7b2a271e921e17cb27d3.jpg

Savoury sandwiches on the benches, scones and cakes on the table top set upon a green "lawn."

IMG_20230601_192912.thumb.jpg.4dff5e6b59e4354f711c95182a5e8ebc.jpg

Various teas.

Kitsch, but delicious and generous.

That's a really unique presentation - I like it.

• Like 1

Sandwiches were egg mayonnaise, salmon, ham and coronation chicken. Sweets were date cake with crystalline ginger and butter cream topping, a cookie, chocolate brownie with honeycomb, scones, strawberry cheesecake. Clotted cream and strawberry jam out of shot. The coronation chicken was the surprising winner of the savouries, the cookies and cheesecakes fighting for first in the sweets. Unlimited sandwiches! so we had extra coronation chicken sandwiches, and had to bring back a lot of the sweets in boxes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMG_3033.thumb.jpeg.0af4692601fc969485ae2a32945289d1.jpeg

Progresso minestrone soup with marmite butter toasts. Not bad.  A bit challenging to chase around those reddish brown bullets yet very satisfying to scrape them into the compost bin at the end. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

Progresso minestrone soup with marmite butter toasts. Not bad.  A bit challenging to chase around those reddish brown bullets yet very satisfying to scrape them into the compost bin at the end. 

You‘ve got to help me on this - which part of the meal gets celebratorily binned ..?!

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

You‘ve got to help me on this - which part of the meal gets celebratorily binned ..?!

Those horrible kidney beans. 
oops. I see @blue_dolphinbeat me to it. She knows me and my relationship to beans of almost any kind. These ones are the worst.

Edited by Anna N
To add additional information (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Rhubarb
HidpYfe.jpg

The "original" mac & cheese contains potatoes, served with apple sauce on the side (one can actually spoon it on top of the whole thing, or anywhere on the plate), and the pasta is longish. The pasta and potatoes are cooked together in cream, then the cheese is added when done. In German speaking countries it's called "Alpine mac & cheese".
FHQcj4c.jpg

Many people like it best with some crispy-fried Speck. I make it seasonal with rhubarb. The tartness is refreshing and palate cleansing.
iBHjIee.jpg

---
It's finally warming up
hfx8Nbl.jpg

These organic strawberries are all different shapes and sizes. I just need the taste. White stuff is full-fat quark that's been drained.
QJu2bbX.jpg

This Queen comes with a green crown.
Ndjg39Y.jpg

---

From Pakistan

jc0tJKl.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

Rhubarb
HidpYfe.jpg

The "original" mac & cheese contains potatoes, served with apple sauce on the side (one can actually spoon it on top of the whole thing, or anywhere on the plate), and the pasta is longish. The pasta and potatoes are cooked together in cream, then the cheese is added when done. In German speaking countries it's called "Alpine mac & cheese".
FHQcj4c.jpg

Many people like it best with some crispy-fried Speck. I make it seasonal with rhubarb. The tartness is refreshing and palate cleansing.
iBHjIee.jpg

---
It's finally warming up
hfx8Nbl.jpg

These organic strawberries are all different shapes and sizes. I just need the taste. White stuff is full-fat quark that's been drained.
QJu2bbX.jpg

This Queen comes with a green crown.
Ndjg39Y.jpg

Interesting. the potatoes and pasta cooked in cream sounds creamy.  The carb phobic folks can just walk away. We have come to accept potatoes on pizza around here. Worth a try. What is the baked element under the quark and berries?

On 6/2/2023 at 11:18 AM, Anna N said:

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger.    I’d have binned the entire bowl.    Progresso does not cook to my palate,

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger.    I’d have binned the entire bowl.    Progresso does not cook to my palate,

To each their own as always. Compared to Campbell's Progresso is gourmet. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

sCompared to Campbell's Progresso is gourmet. 

Progresso is definitely seasoned to a particular palate.    We have found that there is some herb or spice that permeates every recipe that is not to our taste.   Campbells basics are just that, usually simple versions of what one expects of chicken broth, mushroom, onion.    Tart up as you please, but you usually don't have to walk around edgy flavors.   More complex flavors from either, we don't go there.  

eGullet member #80.

20 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Fettuccine and zucchini, sautéed onion, garlic, peperoncini, mint and marjoram from the garden.

Strawberries from the Farmers Market with a little gelato.

IMG_3799.jpeg

IMG_3804.jpeg

I can’t help it. I have to break out in song.

”Not zucchini fettuccine or bulghur wheat, just a big warm bun and a huge hunk o’meat,”

— Jimmy Buffett, “Cheeseburger in Paradise “

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com