• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Sausage stuffed squid was my intro to the delicious little things. Curious on slitting and opening and then closing withe toothpicks rather than just stuffing whole. Easier to clean or more stuffing space? I have small hands versus you I imagine.

These were baby squid with maybe 8-10 cm length, and their tentacles still attached, so whoever prepped and cleaned them before selling slit them open on one side and removed the entrails. So, they were „stitched up“ by necessity …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

Clean out the fridge vegetable Panang curry-inspired lunch. Broccoli, mushrooms, and roasted Poblano chile for the veg. Onions, garlic, long red chiles, Thai bird chiles, Panang curry paste, tamarind, and fish sauce for the flavors. Half a can of coconut milk. Finished with chile jam, cilantro, and Thai basil.

Panang_veg_202303.thumb.jpg.958e4949dda03cd639c8012e6c46b22d.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

As I said in another thread, because we’ve been out of town celebrating our wedding anniversary, I haven’t been posting lately.  Trying to get caught up and do a small travel/food blog that I hope to finish and post tomorrow.

Some recent lunches included two days in a row of leftover seafood enchiladas:

1-IMG_2484.jpg.5cbf747479dbda2ec581ab64dedc9241.jpg

PBJ, pretzels, and fried pickle flavored dip:

1-IMG_2502.jpg.4bf5a6555cd8e0e06d2c9440a758f2d0.jpg

Leftover fried shrimp from our anniversary dinner, with crackers and cheater cocktail sauce (catsup and horseradish cream).

1-IMG_2768.jpg.d8e5614f242c393440de19c7f4f74ccd.jpg

Trader Joe’s Lightly Smoked Salmon and an ET bagel.

1-IMG_2793.thumb.jpg.dde08da7483c7210643cf9cfcd11d13a.jpg

Bagel with smoke salmon cream cheese, onion rings, mandarin orange.

1-IMG_2796.jpg.57fda703ce5c2b262d6259f4d7adccb7.jpg

I made these to take to church for coffee hour on Sunday:

1-IMG_2798.jpg.afb0ad6b8b71443af09a792833bb6f6a.jpg

They was made with some purchased gingerbread dough that was set to expire in April.  I added some golden raisins and rolled the balls in cinnamon sugar before baking.  And since they ended up being the only lunch I ate, they belong here. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

30 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Clean out the fridge vegetable Panang curry-inspired lunch. Broccoli, mushrooms, and roasted Poblano chile for the veg. Onions, garlic, long red chiles, Thai bird chiles, Panang curry paste, tamarind, and fish sauce for the flavors. Half a can of coconut milk. Finished with cilantro and Thai basil.

Panang_veg_202303.thumb.jpg.958e4949dda03cd639c8012e6c46b22d.jpg

For all the SE asian food you make, you need to get a kaffir lime tree!

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Ha. We had one for years! I loved being able to grab lime leaves any time.

Once we figure out how rooms with sunny windows will be arranged, I plan to get another kaffir lime tree.

• Like 3

Made a batch of this paste using Guajillo chillies brought back from Mexico and rehydrated Italian tomatoes. Portioned and froze the rest. Have been using it in soups and pasta, too.
QphYCna.jpg

Slow-cooked beef mixed with the guajillo chilli paste.
5fkdCvs.jpg

Beef broth in cup (right), extra Oxacan chillies (middle) for myself. Duck wrappers, and mashed beans.
FnOFu6p.jpg

---------------------
Another meal...

Prawn shell broth with dried prawn roe (also cooked in the broth).
coEnenH.jpg

Spicy Malaysian chilli crisps with dried shrimp bits. It's very nice in a bunch of things.
FgVWS9z.jpg

W23vxiv.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

Charred radicchio with farro and burrata alongside orange and mustard marinated asparagus, both from Snacks for Dinner

00C849DB-6832-479E-A5E5-9CD029B2A4BB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a5f5c8370aa69a12b2818886fb56eee3.jpeg

I thought bitter radicchio + rich, creamy burrata was a curious combo but it works well with the farro and vinaigrette.  Speaking of which, I was a little wary of putting two vinaigrettes on a plate together but clearly, some color was needed on the plate and it turns out they complement each other nicely.  The orange, mustard and thyme marinade for the asparagus is delicious and the asparagus reportedly keeps in the fridge for 4 days, though I may eat it all today.  Great do-ahead side if you've got nice, tender spring asparagus. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Charred radicchio with farro and burrata alongside orange and mustard marinated asparagus, both from Snacks for Dinner

How do you achieve your char on the radicchio? Hot pan stove top or? 

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

How do you achieve your char on the radicchio? Hot pan stove top or? 

Either a stovetop, ridged grill pan or broiler would work but I used my handy dandy countertop Philips Avance Grill, which has its own topic here

• Like 1

I work from home but often just have 30 minutes for lunch due to So Many Zoom Meetings. Each week I try to plan one easy lunch I can make on repeat and alternate that with leftovers. Some weeks it’s just rock simple cheese quesadillas! This is about the third week this winter/cold spring I’ve picked this easy dumpling soup.  I’ve found a few brand of mini dumplings I like and I like the size better for soup, easier to eat and you get “more.” Yesterday I had some leftover lacinato kale so subbed that for the spinach. I usually top with chili crisp but instead I mixed in a bit of Gochujang with the broth as I was heating it, which worked well. Nice to have found something fast, tasty, and versatile. Plus it warms me up and it’s been cold! 

There are green onions in there. They fell to the bottom.

IMG_0477.jpeg

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:08 PM, KennethT said:

I was given a big one years ago, and enjoyed just brushing against the leaves for that fresh fragrance. Used a lot for cooking, then mealy bugs got a hold. No matter what I tried, couldn't save it. I was so sad as I have not been able to find another. Now I have to buy bags when I get to a larger Asian store.

• Sad 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 minute ago, Dejah said:

I was given a big one years ago, and enjoyed just brushing against the leaves for that fresh fragrance. Used a lot for cooking, then mealy bugs got a hold. No matter what I tried, couldn't save it. I was so sad as I have not been able to find another. Now I have to buy bags when I get to a larger Asian store.

Huh.  Many years ago I had a regular lime tree that had a scale infestation (I think they're similar to mealy bugs) but I was able to save it using a neem oil derivative.  Instead, it died of root rot - my first experience growing citrus.

• Sad 2

Been reminiscing with friends about our younger days while driving across N.A on a shoestring budget - living on one salary as hubby was teaching on permit those days!

2 staples we ate on the way home when we were pretty short on $. We had one credit card - for gas, so we were always able to get home!

One item was SPAM on fresh bread with cheese whiz.

I bought a can when shopping last week, and WOW! $4.97 a tin! Hubby talked about his grandparents receiving tins of this after WWII as rations for seniors.

I fried some up, and made sandwiches with cheese and fresh bread. Pretty salty! Won't be buying it again for another 50 years.

Spamsandwich0525.jpg.c963103a92a1e1d5267abfbe89b32a50.jpg

The second staple was Pork and Beans. I always had a couple of cans of Pork and Beans for when we were really broke! Watching re-runs of "As Time Goes By", the British comedy with Judy Dench, where she and Lionel would have toast and beans for a quick supper, I've been wanting Pork and Beans!

When our band toured in England, we stayed at musicians' digs for a month. Cheap rates, and breakfast was included: bangers and eggs, toast, and commercial size cans of pork and beans, and one of canned tomatoes (both were open and sat at the table until after breakfast)

What we had for lunch yesterday: Bush's with molasses and pork is pretty upscale to what we had back in the late 60s!

BushsPorkandBeans0542.jpg.a4d7b060e2654a567e9787ec6d13f52e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Huh.  Many years ago I had a regular lime tree that had a scale infestation (I think they're similar to mealy bugs) but I was able to save it using a neem oil derivative.  Instead, it died of root rot - my first experience growing citrus.

I've since gotten Neem oil, mainly for the Asian Lily Beetle. Wish I had known about it back then! The tree I had was old, and the trunk was at least 2" thick. I kept the trunk and use it as a trellis for vines in my garden.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com