• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

48 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin Wow I may not make the entire recipe with the sweet potatoes but will definitely try that tofu crisp method. Thank you!  I've always enjoyed the crisoy bit that happen when I move baking

tofu around on the sheet pan and that has been medium not firm. Will play - love the inspiration I get here.

If you want more detail, let me know and I can paraphrase it. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 11:31 PM, KennethT said:

Do you make the dumplings yourself?  I never saw that combination in Hong Kong or Beijing before!

Kenneth, yes, I made them. You won't find this combination in HK or anywhere.  When on holiday I do "traditional", at home I do what I want. Besides,  it's so easy to make your own dumplings at home, not to mention it's one of the most rewarding therapeutic activities. Next time I'll add the prawn roe or fresh roe to the mince.

ywaA0Hs.jpg

6NGZadF.jpg

vLE6iaj.jpg

Pumpking

bkNJNio.jpg

y4HpJqA.jpg

6AxX0CM.jpg

Clams!
CwAHNF1.jpg

In HK. Boss and an employee at the next table.
AMuQiaa.jpg

The restaurant
dLI4kau.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Swordfish Steak with Crispy Capers from Alison Roman's Dining In, Smashed Potatoes with Roasted-Seaweed Sour Cream Dip from Korean American and rounding out the plate are some green beans I tossed on the baking tray with the spuds and seasoned with Magic Gochugaru Dust from the Korean American charred cauliflower recipe. 

A49F853E-0C7D-4D56-9B0F-02278C5AD5C9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3ba6fe5cc58658af82234f66968b17ca.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 6

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Swordfish Steak with Crispy Capers from Alison Roman's Dining In, Smashed Potatoes with Roasted-Seaweed Sour Cream Dip from Korean American and rounding out the plate are some green beans I tossed on the baking tray with the spuds and seasoned with Magic Gochugaru Dust from the Korean American charred cauliflower recipe. 

I just love how you mix and match not only the ingredients but cookbooks. I must see about making some of that magic dust. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

In HK. Boss and an employee at the next table.
AMuQiaa.jpg

The restaurant
dLI4kau.jpg

Hah ! I can‘t count how many times we went there for lunch - their lamb and carrot dumplings are still unrivaled in my books !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

Working mans lunch.  The purple hull peas and cornbread are mixed and mashed on the plate then topped with pot liquor and pepper sauce.   This one of favorite childhood meals-we got to play with our food!

IMG_20230203_115858235_HDR.thumb.jpg.50962594b6cfa8b4e57fbdb06951ceba.jpg

Looks comforting. Pot liquor from peas? but I also see greens. I'm looking at a mess of greens on my counter and inspiration welcome. 

A riff on the recipe for Swordfish with Asparagus and Little Beans from I Dream of Dinner.  The recipe is available online at this link.
I have banned myself from buying asparagus unless it's at the farmers market so I used green beans, without thinking that turned it into Swordfish with Beans and Beans 🙃.  No matter, the little beans are RG's alubia blanca, a bean that just loves the lemony dressing in this dish.  The green beans were tender-crisp and contrasted nicely with the creamy alubia blancas.

69647AA5-2996-4E16-B45A-9D1C19B98761_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.22a993dd4b34157b4fe04a8c064df927.jpeg

This is a great, quick dish and would work with all sorts of green veg like broccoli, sugar snaps, etc and proteins like shrimp or even seared scallops.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to edit link (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A riff on the recipe for Swordfish with Asparagus and Little Beans from I Dream of Dinner.  The recipe is available online at this link.
I have banned myself from buying asparagus unless it's at the farmers market so I used green beans, without thinking that turned it into Swordfish with Beans and Beans 🙃.  No matter, the little beans are RG's alubia blanca, a bean that just loves the lemony dressing in this dish.  The green beans were tender-crisp and contrasted nicely with the creamy alubia blancas.

69647AA5-2996-4E16-B45A-9D1C19B98761_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.22a993dd4b34157b4fe04a8c064df927.jpeg

This is a great, quick dish and would work with all sorts of green veg like broccoli, sugar snaps, etc and proteins like shrimp or even seared scallops.

Admire your self imposed non FM asparagus ban. I understand. Is your swordfish loclly ourchsed or amil order. I have not had any in too long. I see the lovely fish many herenare orderingand am tempted.  

@heidih Greens and beans are both the source of pot liquour in the southern states.  I used the pink eye purple hull pot liquor for lunch and for supper I had a bowl of the turnip green pot liquor with rice and ham.   Here's a link to an interesting discussion of different variety of peas common in the south and the resulting pot liquors  https://hemctier.wixsite.com/mctierfamilyfarm/post/2019/09/18/whats-pot-liquor

• Like 3

I tried making the masala shrimp from this video:

Came out really good. I've made south Indian style prawns before but this was definitely the best I've done.

PXL_20230205_190748674.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.2b1da6317d0fbc2161d340ca4494b18b.jpg

Can't be the weekend without some Lady Wong....

PXL_20230205_192526985.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.27b2afadf2cb93198448a1dce5d8d91e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

19 hours ago, KennethT said:

I tried making the masala shrimp from this video:

Came out really good. I've made south Indian style prawns before but this was definitely the best I've done.

PXL_20230205_190748674.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.2b1da6317d0fbc2161d340ca4494b18b.jpg

Enjoyed the video. That's a wicked looking knife!
Looking at the amount of chilis and chili powder used, was it very spicy? I bet it smelled delicious while cooking!

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I finally got around to making soup with the big ham bone in the freezer: Creamy Ham and Cauliflower soup. Cauliflower was on for $2.99 / head, and they were a hefty good size.

1340204905_HamCauliflowersoup0075.jpg.f3a3c55620b34e7b6692e379dd51167c.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Enjoyed the video. That's a wicked looking knife!
Looking at the amount of chilis and chili powder used, was it very spicy? I bet it smelled delicious while cooking!

It turned out really good. I didn't have any green chilli so I used 3 red Thai chili that I just split in half. For the dried chillies, I used bhagi chillies which are not very hot. So, overall, it was perfect spiciness for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1