• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

Breakfast this morning.

Semi-soft eggs, pickled herring, tomatoes, green onion pancake (out of naan) and a blood orange.

I found a local producer of pickled herring and it's quite good. Not cloyingly sweet like some I've had. With a dollop of grainy mustard.

EggsPickledHerringTomatoGreenOnionPancakeandBloodOrange.thumb.JPG.41901d4ae0481831294e90e540e38ad6.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

18 hours ago, Dante said:

Pancakes, sausage with cream/pepper gravy, powerhouse eggs, and seasoned potato wedges

What are powerhouse eggs? Do they appear in the photo?

Yesterday. Black bean & pepper jack quesadilla, cabbage salad dressed with mojo de ajo, a citrus-y roasted garlic sauce from Grist.

259558C6-C04D-4450-9FD1-B79E51209C6E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.94b7abb5ba8a5d1670b20bbf01e39709.jpeg 

Today, black bean pot licker w/roasted sweet potato, also from Grist

D761BD2D-4CDB-4DC5-867C-1595AEEF9FBA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.72ca483fc5def5a92467706170d8b697.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

A bit of the kabocha squash soup I made on Sunday was nice for late breakfast, although now I have a bit of onion/garlic aftertaste. I'm generally not a fan of savory breakfasts unless it is lox and bagels! I'll make another batch of this soup with less alliums, it will be nice for future breakfasts with some toasted nuts.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

44 minutes ago, heidih said:

Yes it is my general M.O. but makes duplicating a dish iffy.

Mrs. C is not a recipe person. If she makes something particularly delicious the conversation typically goes like this:

Me: "Is there any possibility that you could make this again?"

Her: "Not a chance."

Me: 😔

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

This morning I was fixed on having poached eggs on toast for breakfast...until I went looking for the loaf of whole wheat that was in the freezer.  No bread in freezer. 

Printed off a favorite recipe for honey whole wheat bread  which I'm going to make in my Zo bread machine (dough setting)....

Tomorrow will bring another opportunity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lindag said:

This morning I was fixed on having poached eggs on toast for breakfast...until I went looking for the loaf of whole wheat that was in the freezer.  No bread in freezer. 

Printed off a favorite recipe for honey whole wheat bread  which I'm going to make in my Zo bread machine (dough setting)....

Tomorrow will bring another opportunity.

That's my "daily bread," right there, right down to the method. My late wife sent me the recipe from an old DAK bread machine manual, which turned out to be identical to my grandmother's honey-whole wheat sandwich bread.

I actually just made a batch today, in fact, which - now that you've reminded me - is cool and must be bagged and frozen ASAP. I should go do that now, before I forget yet again...

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ever since @blue_dolphinposted this I have been anxious to try this recipe. Pork ribs are one of my favourite foods but they always seem a bit of a challenge. This is about as simple as it gets and produces ribs that are exactly the way I love them. They are not falling off the bone but they are tender enough to enjoy the whole gnawing experience!  Thank you. 

They took longer than suggested. I think I cooked them for about 40 minutes in the Breville smart oven. These were meaty enough that although I would've loved more I didn't need more. This is two baby back ribs. 

783BAFF7-F870-4F96-ABB3-40F51F5F19AB.thumb.jpeg.5560bfd86d45fe182aab78bb253dc96b.jpeg

Here is the link I meant to post earlier. 

Edited by Anna N
To add link. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Midnight black beans with farro, roasted sweet potato & pepperonata livened up with Red Weapons

A834D502-8CD7-4A6D-B0CE-BEDAEA880D83_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0efd45fb15133cfbc6bc593e4f63b161.jpeg

Looks good! What are "Red Weapons"?

Mrs. C did a semi-homemade tortilla soup last night, jazzed up with rotisserie chicken and lots of frozen vegetables.

Cooked-down tortilla soup breakfast tacos. The first rule of breakfast tacos is that looks do not necessarily correlate with taste. 🙄

Tortilla_soup_tacos.thumb.jpg.4342381bf919dabade5f073de5c538f9.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Looks good! What are "Red Weapons"?

Thanks!  Red Weapons are a marinated tomato/jalapeño condiment from Vivian Howard's book, This Will Make It Taste Good. You can see the recipe online at this link.  I double the jalapeños and reduce the olive oil.  It's great for livening up a bowl of beans, eggs, most anything and is something I keep it on hand regularly. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  Red Weapons are a marinated tomato/jalapeño condiment from Vivian Howard's book, This Will Make It Taste Good. You can see the recipe online at this link.  I double the jalapeños and reduce the olive oil.  It's great for livening up a bowl of beans, eggs, most anything and is something I keep it on hand regularly. 

How much olive oil do you use? I agree that 1.5 cups sounds like a lot.

7 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

How much olive oil do you use? I agree that 1.5 cups sounds like a lot.

About half that amount or 3/4 cup.  That's plenty unless I'm specifically planning some of the recipes in the book where she uses a fair amount of the Red Weapons oil.