• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, billyhill said:

Great, now I'm craving egg salad and I have never made it before. Any pointers to help me out? Would capers fit in? This place is a bad influence. 

4 pages here on eG. So customizable. Play  

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Egg salad in a pita with baby kale and pickled onions.

IMG_3997.thumb.jpeg.0400ffb8ff6bd5c271d7ae88ba324ebc.jpeg

That looks wonderful...and so much better than the sweet roll I had, followed by yogurt!

Gotta make me some pita, and some egg salad, and some quick-pickled onions. Tomorrow, maybe. Thanks for the inspiration! (And @billyhill, we aren't a "bad influence" so much as "endless source of inspiration"! 😉 )

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

40 minutes ago, billyhill said:

Great, now I'm craving egg salad and I have never made it before. Any pointers to help me out? Would capers fit in? This place is a bad influence. 

Yes, absolutely to capers. I grew up on my mom’s version which always included pimento-stuffed green olives. I was drooling over your jalapeño eggs just above and love pickled jalapeños in egg salad, too. 
@heidih pointed you to a good thread. My advice is that anything you like in deviled eggs will make a good egg salad. Leftover deviled eggs are rare but can always be mashed up into a tasty egg salad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billyhill said:

I'm sure that others will chime in, but here are some general directions for my version.  I do not like a wet egg salad, so if you want a less dry one, someone else's will suit you better.  The "recipe" doesn't call for any relish or chopped sweet pickles, but I usually add them - well drained, of course.  Hope you like it!

I found a local source for leberkasa, which @Duvel has had me craving.  It was breakfast for the last two days.  Yesterday:

1-IMG_2256.jpg.c8860ef267529458ab0e3187ed781af4.jpg

with eggs and German bread.

This morning was redneck meets Deutschland.  Fried in butter:

1-IMG_2257.thumb.jpg.3ca38054b4778446a260ee257595e729.jpg

and slapped between two pieces of toast with Gulden's brown mustard:

1-IMG_2258.jpg.db08f305433d5d1aa8f9d944c3745eb8.jpg

just like thick sliced bologna!

And, uncharacteristically, Mr. Kim loved it!  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

Toast with goat cheese and fresh turmeric and ginger pickle 

C9F37B56-41F4-4B73-9560-2DB01C4B27D0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b1fc42c634053ca4340c04f4b3181997.jpeg

In the breakfast/beginnings section of her book, My Bombay Kitchen, Niloufer Ichaporia King includes something called Krishna's Breakfast, named for a friend rather than the Hindhu deity.  She describes smearing fresh cheese (the book includes recipes for a creamy paneer and a yogurt cheese but allows fresh goat or sheep cheese of any sort for this) on pieces of warm chapati, topping with the fresh turmeric and ginger pickle, rolling it up and popping it into your mouth. She says it's like eating sparklers, a description that captivated me. 

Obviously, I took some liberties 🤣

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Breakfasts from the last three days.

Herbed soft scrambled eggs, sausage on WW, and mixed fruit.

Spinach, mushroom, pepper and feta omelet with pan-fried potatoes and mixed fruit.

Smoked salmon, Boursin, tomato, capers and greens on WW bagel and mixed fruit.

HerbedEggsSausageandWWThin.thumb.JPG.b76e6210615ce41912e1dcd882132e8e.JPGSpinachPepperMushroomandFetaOmelet.thumb.JPG.6808e74210e0e0999ea9aaf5dd355c19.JPGSmokedSalmonBoursinTomatoCapersandGreens.thumb.JPG.456740882931d7f95c1c3ffafc667030.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

IMG_2239.thumb.jpg.4f79b8d9a8d753fc5a629e6cce897624.jpg

B&M baked beans ( bacon & onion )  ,  SPAM 

the SPAM was fried until crisp , each side .  the beans : right out of the can.

the three major food groups :  right there :

Sugar , Salt , Saturated Animal Fat.

I have not had SPAM in quite a while.   Id forgotten how ' soft ' 

the meat is .  nice when crispy .

a grilled pineapple slice would have been nice.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

We were out of town for a few days and came home yesterday.  Moe was craving "comfort food".

I am working today so decided to make individual Shepherds Pies this morning and gave Moe the option of having one for dinner or for breakfast.
ShepherdsPieFebruary24th2023.thumb.jpg.a351c82c2afc8fe65138974cf34b6b12.jpg
He chose breakfast.
ShepherdsPieFebruary24th20231.thumb.jpg.ac5dd570bad198101fa35de4199923a8.jpg
I'll take one to work and freeze two.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 5

I made some “ricotta” yesterday (recipe for creamy ricotta from Bestia that uses whole milk + heavy cream + buttermilk) with some milk on the edge of turning and wanted to taste it on its own before using it another recipe so I did this again:

On 2/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Toast with goat cheese and fresh turmeric and ginger pickle 

C9F37B56-41F4-4B73-9560-2DB01C4B27D0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b1fc42c634053ca4340c04f4b3181997.jpeg

In the breakfast/beginnings section of her book, My Bombay Kitchen, Niloufer Ichaporia King includes something called Krishna's Breakfast, named for a friend rather than the Hindhu deity.  She describes smearing fresh cheese (the book includes recipes for a creamy paneer and a yogurt cheese but allows fresh goat or sheep cheese of any sort for this) on pieces of warm chapati, topping with the fresh turmeric and ginger pickle, rolling it up and popping it into your mouth. She says it's like eating sparklers, a description that captivated me. 

Obviously, I took some liberties 🤣

Happily, the ricotta is fine and the turmeric pickle worked better with it than with the tangy goat cheese I used in the above photo. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I made some “ricotta” yesterday (recipe for creamy ricotta from Bestia that uses whole milk + heavy cream + buttermilk) with some milk on the edge of turning and wanted to taste it on its own before using it another recipe so I did this again:

Happily, the ricotta is fine and the turmeric pickle worked better with it than with the tangy goat cheese I used in the above photo. 

I meant to ask when you first posted. Is the turmeric pickle the orange coins, and the ginger the little dice/  If I ever see decent fresh turmeric I want to try.

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

I meant to ask when you first posted. Is the turmeric pickle the orange coins, and the ginger the little dice/  If I ever see decent fresh turmeric I want to try.

Yes. There is also a diced red chile in there. I sliced and diced per the recipe in My Bombay Kitchen but later found other recipes online that called for a julienne cut on both turmeric and ginger and I’d find that preferable as the coins tend to stack up together and you really want the lime juice brine to reach all surfaces. It’s about equal parts turmeric & ginger so easy to eyeball a small batch. 

• Like 1

Don't know what happened to the Egg Coddlers I use to have.
But I recently found three Royal Worcester egg coddlers for sale on the local Facebook Market Place and I couldn't resist.
CoddledEggsFebruary25th2023.thumb.jpg.cc41b103cc36139341952a52be97b99a.jpg
Used two this morning to make Moe Coddled Eggs for breakfasts.
CoddledEggsFebruary25th20231.thumb.jpg.612bf8e9eb7b511d894a4d88ed94a32c.jpg
With toasted sourdough baguette cut into fingers.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:
Don't know what happened to the Egg Coddlers I use to have.
But I recently found three Royal Worcester egg coddlers for sale on the local Facebook Market Place and I couldn't resist.

Used two this morning to make Moe Coddled Eggs for breakfasts.
CoddledEggsFebruary25th20231.thumb.jpg.612bf8e9eb7b511d894a4d88ed94a32c.jpg
With toasted sourdough baguette cut into fingers.

The coddlers are gorgeous! And so is the breakfast ❤️

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I recently found three Royal Worcester egg coddlers for sale on the local Facebook Market Place

I'm with @Dejah on the coddlers and the breakfast!  When I'm out hunting vintage cocktail glasses, I always like finding 3 - a pair and a spare! A little insurance if I break one or I can give two away (as I like to do along with homemade liqueurs) and keep one! 

Yesterday, I made the harissa eggs with pita & dates, the fatoot samneh riff that appears in I Dream of Dinner.  I wondered how it would be if I just dotted the harissa into the pan when adding the eggs instead of whisking them together so I tried that today.

12C46DB8-9AED-44D4-B914-F77FFE2BF63B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8f6852029279a7f69a1154138c3cdc8b.jpeg

I thought this was slightly less monochromatic and more interesting to eat.  Though if you used a very hot harissa and got a lot in one bite, I suppose it could be a bit much.  Both good. 

Added some sautéed baby kale with garlic. 

Here's yesterday's plate from over in the lunch topic for comparison:

BDE527F0-6B96-48E5-B43E-F4CC2C01CDA6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c7d9d322806ce93d46fc22b7e29e1dd6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

I can report that yeasted waffles (“Good Night Waffles,”) in which you make up the yeast batter the night before for an overnight rise on the counter and then add eggs, baking soda and vanilla the next morning just before cooking) are successful with GF flour. Not quite as airy and fluffy as with AP flour, but still dang good.

clickety

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

E8B57CB1-9E70-432F-8D5C-965A222E0690.thumb.jpeg.bd60b1ec378c42959984b62b6784a7f0.jpeg

Chinese style egg and tomato over rice. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, Dejah said:

The coddlers are gorgeous! And so is the breakfast ❤️

Thanks @Dejah

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm with @Dejah on the coddlers and the breakfast!

Thanks @blue_dolphin  

LeftoverYorkshirePuddingsandroastbeefforbreakfastFebruary26th2023.thumb.jpg.53cfdc4ece6a8183597b04d2766431cc.jpg

I had leftover roast beef, gravy and Yorkshire puddings.
Sliced the roast thin using the slicing blade on the small Breville FP ,
warmed the meat up in the gravy and served over a split Yorkshire Pudding for Moe's breakfast.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 5

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks @Dejah

Thanks @blue_dolphin  

I had leftover roast beef, gravy and Yorkshire puddings.
Sliced the roast thin using the slicing blade on the small Breville FP ,
warmed the meat up in the gravy and served over a split Yorkshire Pudding for Moe's breakfast.

Not only are your dishes spectacular r but so are  your photos.

• Like 4

There's a recipe in Abra Beren's Grist for Hominy with Peperonata & Arugula that she suggests topping with a boiled or poached egg. 

I made Hominy with Red Weapons & Baby Kale topped with a fried duck egg.

8866DD93-0E5C-4C72-8D3C-4070925A494A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6c0f934bdb92d3120328aa996eb35492.jpeg

My limited hominy experience is posole or stews/soups. Your looks almost crisped up? Enticing plate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

My limited hominy experience is posole or stews/soups. Your looks almost crisped up? Enticing plate.

No, it's just Rancho Gordo hominy soaked O/N and boiled for a couple hours.  Probably the Red Weapons (Vivian Howard's marinated tomato/jalapeño condiment) that I tossed it with added some color to the hominy. 

I cooked enough to try a few of the other hominy recipes in Grist. There's one where she roasts chicken thighs over a bed of hominy so I'm sure the drippings make that extra tasty.  That one is served with a radish salad.  There's a salad with red cabbage and hominy dressed in a lemon-parsley sauce that she serves with paprika-honey pork ribs and the last one is a warm dish of hominy, black beans, summer squash, dressed with a garlicky lime/orange/oregano dressing.  

Maybe I'll have enough left to try a version of that white pozole recipe that you recently linked to in the LA Times! 

• Like 2