• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin, avocado toast has never appealed to me until I saw yours. Love the idea of it topped with black beans and salsa.  

1877616424_RyeBreadbakedFeb1st2023.thumb.jpg.dbb1207f884ba64b357ea3a8d682cb0b.jpg

Baked rye bread last night and made Moe a smoked meat sandwich for breakfast.

626464572_SmokedMeatonRyeFebruary2nd2023.thumb.jpg.e65c39428384ea2a07ee5590e013a04a.jpg

Costco carries Schwartz's Montreal Smoked Meat. Six pouches in a box.  Makes wonderful sandwiches. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T 

Wow !

extraordinarily good looking sandwich !

and 

Schwartz's Montreal Smoked Meat. Six pouches in a box. 

at Costco ?

wow.

Ive ben to Schwartz's  

several times in the ( memorable ) distant-is past.

i moved up to ' medium '  for the large plate 

and have survived.  

Ill bet the ' full ' plate was a lot better 

re: the amount of Hot Smoked Steamed Fat .

I only mildly regret 

asking for a 1/2 and Full   50:50

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks @rotuts,  We ate at Schwartz's a number of times years ago.

Costco has been carrying Schwartz's now for two or three years.     So good.

Moe just wanted to toast for breakfast.
Sliced one of yesterday's baguettes.
820280239_ToastedBaguetteFebruary4th2023.thumb.jpg.0c63057e50e06f2657af04abedf41f39.jpg

If truth be told, this is the reason I bake bread.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks @rotuts,  We ate at Schwartz's a number of times years ago.

Costco has been carrying Schwartz's now for two or three years.     So good.

Moe just wanted to toast for breakfast.
Sliced one of yesterday's baguettes.
820280239_ToastedBaguetteFebruary4th2023.thumb.jpg.0c63057e50e06f2657af04abedf41f39.jpg

If truth be told, this is the reason I bake bread.

Need a "Groaning and Salivating" emoji! ❤️

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@Ann_T – yes, that Boston Cream “Cruffin” was every bit as good as it looked.  The custard was REAL custard and the layers were perfect. 

@Anna N – that salmon cream cheese and the kielbasa are favorites around here!  Especially if we have pumpernickel in the house!

Yesterday:

1-IMG_2152.jpg.c6943c4b7c658bb145eff14ee5f2bb51.jpg

1-IMG_2153.jpg.d6af7d44f81023e133786edbb97ab0a5.jpg

Sausage, egg, and cheese muffin.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Got a little industrious yesterday, and since it was freezing, turning on the oven served double duty.

image.thumb.jpeg.161826f42c121de08d9a5f76912b5839.jpeg

The scones may not look beautiful, but they sure tasted fine.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Senior Sea Kayaker 

looks very tasty

thank you for using the Pilaf.  

this opens up a few ideas for me :

I used to make basmati rice , in my 10 C fuzzy National // Panasonic 

rice cooker 

making ' Not Fried Rice '

quite delicious hot out of the Fuzzy 

w add-in both w cooking  and for a brief steaming after

the rice was cooked .

but with the idea of significant extras 

refrigerated , ( recycled yogurt containers , 2 Qt's  mostly filled )

out of the refrigerator  -- cold on a hot summer day .

or room temp , and tasty right then

using this deliciousness w Eggs and Sausage ?

on the ' Its not Pilaf '   idea 

thanks

no idea of what the '  Its not Risotto ' path may lead.

• Like 2

eGullteers make such amazing Breakfast of Champions! I stick pretty close to eggs and bacon 😉
Red River cereal is a porridge that we like, but last year, the original company stopped making it!

In the fall, our national news CBC announced that Arva Flour Mill in Ontario picked up the "rights" to produce this porridge. I ordered immediately, and it took 3 months for the company to catch up on the massive number of orders! Our local Co-Op is supposed to stock the cereal this year, but I've got a good supply now! AS can be seen, I also ordered some bread mixes. Many will be gifts, but thought I'd like to try the corn bread and the Jalapeno & Cheddar version. Need to pick up beer!

91427290_RedRiverBeerBread.thumb.jpg.09bc231e22521a780eb17192d73f1d83.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I have some vacuum packed and in the freezer from 3-4 years ago!   Collector's item?

I still remember the big bag, maybe 20 lbs or more of Red River a thrifty friend picked up for us, many years ago. He was so happy as he picked it up at a much reduced price. It got weevils way before we even got thru' half. Now we know why it was so cheap! LOL! In the olden days, I didn't have a FoodSaver!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@weinoo – not ugly at all.  I love craggy scones – they hold more butter. 

@blue_dolphin – just found a source for leberkase here.  The place is new to me and I’m looking forward to going on Saturday!

Yesterday:

1-IMG_2166.jpg.239768a56232fa2823e7f1bd1d20ae30.jpg

We found these bagels at Food Lion, oddly enough.  They are very small - just perfect size for Jessica and I for breakfast.  And they are loaded with ET seasoning and have good texture to boot!  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Found a couple of crumpets in back of the freezer that had been there for a while and looked like they might be a bit dry around the edges. Used them to make French toast, surely offending two nations with one breakfast 🙃 Sausage and a blood orange on the side.

8852CDA4-C7D8-4A84-8350-37B1EB027174_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9de7cf154eb760cd235d9236c4070632.jpeg

Not bad.  Their slightly domed shape means the edges don't contact the pan on one side so I put them in the oven to avoid any sogginess.  One was enough.  Maybe there will be second breakfast later?

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

Moe's breakfast this morning was influenced by @PatrickT.
He mentioned yesterday making a grilled cheese sandwich on  his Rye Porridge Sourdough bread. 

I can probably count on two hands, with fingers leftover, the number of times I've made Moe a grilled cheese sandwich in almost 50 years. 
I've never cared for them so I never think to make them.

If I'm not home he will occasionally make himself just a cheese and onion sandwich.
So this morning I decided to make him a grilled cheese sandwich on yesterday's  Oatmeal bread.

547428232_GrilledCheeseandOniononOatmealBreadFebruary7th2023.thumb.jpg.958fad035dea5552809cb04c2346aed4.jpg
I layered thin sliced red onion between layers of a nice cheddar.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

On 2/7/2023 at 6:04 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Pretty much a repeat of Saturday's breakfast. Smashed, roasted potatoes, topped with fried leberkase and an egg.  Mustard, tomatoes on the side. 

1EE6A9DA-6A2A-47AE-AB75-72544A3581A0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8e988de83d8220f96a57fdba9ed18365.jpeg

It was good on Saturday and it was good today!

Ohh … I didn‘t see that before - Bauernfrühstück 🤗 

Where did you get the Leberkäse ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Ohh … I didn‘t see that before - Bauernfrühstück 🤗 

Where did you get the Leberkäse ?

A family from Germany started a small sausage business, YouBite, in my area. They have a retail shop but also sell at my local farmers market where I purchased it after learning about it from you. Carmen, one of the owners, recommended serving it this way. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I layered thin sliced red onion between layers of a nice cheddar.

OK I would be hard-pressed to find a sandwich I like better than cheese and onion although I very rarely choose to grill it. I was raised on cheese and onion ground together in a meat grinder and spread between slices of fresh white bread. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at Moe's breakfast. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog