• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

On 1/16/2023 at 1:40 PM, Kim Shook said:

1-IMG_1983.jpg.53df66b0119b5a07c03d084b5415ac36.jpg

I can't tell you how much I want this.   Was it as good as it looks?

I still had left about a 9oz piece of the Top Sirloin roast from the other night.
So this morning I put it into the Breville PC and cooked it in some beef broth and leftover gravy, turning it into a "pot roast".
Made sandwiches for breakfast on the the crusty buns baked last night.
1106822571_BeefSandwichforbreakfastJanuary25th2023.thumb.jpg.04d75e6d9d768b6067d0da6de8feaed4.jpg

Moe had his with pickles and I topped mine with hot horseradish.
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 5

22 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Today's breakfast.  

Scrambled eggs and tomatoes with side pork.

603946282_ScrambledeggswithtomatoesandSidePorkJanuary24th20241.thumb.jpg.5630a3b382f2b19a70d712c0cac3a727.jpg

I love side pork more than bacon. 

I don't recall seeing side pork anywhere. Do you buy it at a chain grocer or a butcher?

24 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I don't recall seeing side pork anywhere. Do you buy it at a chain grocer or a butcher?

I can find it in most grocery stores.  Fairway Market  always has side pork and pork belly.  And side pork is just sliced pork belly.    Costco usually has pork belly, but not sliced.

I bought the last side pork  at Superstore.  And Save On tends to have it as well.   I'm pretty sure I have bought it as Thrifty's as well.

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I can find it in most grocery stores.

I can find it, but it is not called side pork in the places where I have seen it. It is simply called sliced pork belly. I wonder if this is just me or if it's a regional name.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I can find it, but it is not called side pork in the places where I have seen it. It is simply called sliced pork belly. I wonder if this is just me or if it's a regional name.

Oh, that I have seen - I didn't realize that it is the same thing. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I've seen it here with both names.  I'm more familiar with the term  side pork though. 

• Like 1

D4360DFF-BB69-4A86-A465-6AE3D777FF03.thumb.jpeg.76de5f7b4dc16539b7dee1d04b8de1d9.jpeg

Doesn't get much easier. Smoked salmon flavoured cream cheese and crackers.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8E0B8DA5-56A0-424F-AEA0-E331F05B96D9.thumb.jpeg.07d1806c07806293e19577b65e75351a.jpeg

Fried kielbasa and scrambled eggs. (I should have let the pan cool down more before I added the eggs!)

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Fettuccini Al'dolphin with various veg

16AA5AE7-6195-49C9-8C72-11E210BCA440_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.eea513f81dff2edfe3a8d05a4970c2cb.jpeg

Based on a recipe in Molly Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest for Pasta with Marinated Artichokes which starts with onions sautéed in the marinade drained from the artichokes.  I added mushrooms, broccolini, green beans and orange bell pepper. And, of course, the artichokes.  The onions and mushrooms absolutely benefit by being cooked in that marinade. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add apostrophe (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

what a delightful looking dish

I have TJ's dried egg noodle pasta

TJ's  marinated chokes  , both reg  and smoked 

Ill keep this in mind.

Thanks!  I use the recipe more for inspiration than specifics but it's been a very handy back-pocket pasta when I've needed to pull together a meal with little notice.  Especially in someone else's kitchen - since the artichoke marinade is generally well seasoned, you don't need a bunch of other seasoning ingredients and it's easy to shop for.  I've added shrimp, scallops or chicken for those who don't want a strictly veg dish. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Marinated Artichokes

I love marinated artichokes so it's good to have another option. Thank you. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Intrigued byp this discussion of Vietnamese tomato rice and finding myself with some leftover rice on hand, I had breakfast. D3324621-71C3-496E-9E08-1148651C2AFE.thumb.jpeg.4c57fc715756aa9b6e6b7ab4cb8e294b.jpeg

Perfect comfort food. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo. (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

A bit of a riff on the recipe for Charred Cauliflower with Magic Gochugaru Dust in Korean American.  Recipe available online at this link.

1FAC5900-1031-45FD-A818-7B6E7C42DBE6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3b5eae5ab20d298e8f6233868abe443b.jpeg

I roasted the cauliflower instead of broiling, threw a handful of green beans on to the tray with it and put an egg on top. The gochugaru dust has salt, gochugaru, smoked paprika, garlic powder and a little dark brown sugar. Quite good.  If I make it again, I will dial back on the salt so I can get more heat and flavor without oversalting, at least for my taste. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

73EBAC25-BF09-47EF-90E1-9DEBBFB4DC8B.thumb.jpeg.43f21ff449390f7bc56237b03c3b7d0c.jpeg

Hash with leftover bratwurst. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Kinda chilly here this morning so my first step was to turn on the oven and then to decide what to put in it.  Hmmmm.  The sweet potato wedges with goma dare and crispy tofu from Ottolenghi's Extra Good Things sounds very good but the almost instant gratification of these little Gochujang Chocolate Lava Cakes from Korean American with a mug of black coffee lured me in. 

FABC9831-8DD7-47C7-B6E2-D528D94145FD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.772d8e6bf8cf479ef4daffb5a8f3b6cb.jpeg

The recipe makes 4 cakes in 6 oz ramekins. I made a half recipe and put it into these little guys that hold a little over 3 oz.  Perfect size for me. Topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of gochugaru. 

Other people who made this said they couldn't taste the gochjang so I doubled it and it's just barely detectable which I think is what you want here. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

@blue_dolphin, You really do make the most amazing breakfasts.  For the most part, I really don't care for breakfast,

but I would love your cauliflower and bean dish as well as your chocolate lava cakes. Now that is my kind of breakfast.

I wouldn't say no to Anna's hash either, with or without the sausage.

2033794454_GrilledHotdogsonhomemadebaguetteJanuary2023.thumb.jpg.977d0aa2c6f83030a2e4d4c935388103.jpg

I took some baguettes out of the oven this morning and we had hot dogs with homemade potato chips for breakfast.

Grilled European wieners and toasted the baguette on the grill. 

Didn't eat until after 9:00. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T, if I could choose anywere to have breakfast, it would be with you and Moe! 

Another chilly AM here so I went with Kenji's 15 minute Pantry Tomato Soup.  Nothing earth shattering but it's good and so quick. 

ACCDE61A-BB63-4AE8-B492-70DEFBFC3515_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f38613352280b1a3d172784e687de9ce.jpeg

Too lazy to make a grilled cheese so I made a toastie with some of the Snowdonia Ruby Mist Cheddar with port and brandy. 

• Like 8