• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

14 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What is the remaining 30% ?

What I thought.

Water, salt and yeast (allergens and and preservatives) according to the ingredient list. Which doesn't quite add up, to my mind.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Breakfast yesterday before a long walk in the woods.

Egg and chilis, cheese, slow roasted onion and arugula wrap with blueberries and orange.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f5fce14867a25a067dff44e7af0fee0.jpeg

It's been snowing heavily since dawn so a comfort breakfast (I like soup for breakfast). I'm hoping for enough snow to break out the snowshoes.

Pot barley, black bean, collard vegetable soup with toasted cheese on ciabatta.

905797921_BBBandGVegSoup.thumb.JPG.e261358df4f6262cc14ead51f93ed4e8.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Spam, Kimchi and Cabbage Stir-Fry from Korean American with a fried egg on top. I bought a can of Spam a while back with the intention of making musubi.  Today was the day to open it!

92DAE2BE-BE60-47C9-96B5-C4AA06B05CBF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.142b542720a5342095bab66df2c17379.jpeg

Over in the egg prices topic, @Anna N noted that we should all be getting fresh eggs these days and this is clearly the case here.  Our local farmers market was cancelled last week due to the deluge so I picked up some eggs at Trader Joe's to get me through.  I usually only see this sort of tight white with the farmers market eggs. There was only the tiniest fringe of loose white that curled under on the right side.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Spam, Kimchi and Cabbage Stir-Fry

Oh my! I may need to change my breakfast plans. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh my! I may need to change my breakfast plans. 

It was quite good. I sliced the Spam pretty thin so it crisped up nicely. This would work fine with bacon or ham as well.  I also added a bit of water to the pan at the end to incorporate the browned bits and cook the cabbage down a little more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Marmite® on Toast

I like Marmite® on toast occasionally, but it has to be just a scraping. Sometimes I will mix it with butter before spreading it.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Maple-candied spam from Korean American with egg nog French toast made with the milk bread with maple syrup from the same book.  Probably the last persimmon of the season on the side. 

C74A7AE8-F023-4C5F-AB37-602C3BF60417_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.da11c348f132fb2d4f15b89da42ced4d.jpeg

The spam was to be sliced @ 1/4", baked on a tray @400°F until lightly browned can crispy, then drizzled with a mix of maple syrup and garlic powder before going back into the oven for a while. 

I think my slices were on the thin side.  They were shatteringly crisp!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Maple-candied spam

OK. You know that I love almost everything that you make so I can say this with impunity I hope.

I am in a sugar coma just reading this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

As I said in the 2023 lunch thread, I’m a goober – I posted my update at the end of the 2022 thread instead of here. 

@liuzhou – the buns are a favorite in our house, but very few places do really excellent ones.  We are lucky enough to have Peter Chang here in my town and he used to have a noodle and dumpling shop right next to his restaurant, but he closed it.  I’ve been missing those buns ever since and recently discovered that he’s serving them AND soup dumplings at his restaurant now.  I have informed Mr. Kim that we need to visit SOON!

@Duvel – those eggs are perfectly perfect! 

@Ann_T – I hope that Huey continues to improve and that the charges don’t climb too much higher.  Vet bills, especially emergency ones, can be so high!

All of those lovely, gooey yolks are making me wish that I had fried or poached my eggs this morning!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Those appear to be homemade pickled jalapeños?

No, they are the pickled, fermented jalapeño slices from Trader Joe's.  Made in Turkey of all places.  I haven't seen them in a while and suspect they may have been discontinued so I guess if I want more, they will be homemade!

• Like 1

The view after our latest snow Too bad it'll be gone by Sunday. Turned out to be a perfect day for a long hike on snowshoes.

DSCN0508.thumb.JPG.802f42c0aab249220407e9fc365900b6.JPGDSCN0505.thumb.JPG.44f59e47941a95bdf324584c8102018f.JPG

Breakfast was , in a throwback to university days, chili, quesadillas and oranges and blueberries. Back then it would have been cold chili.

DSCN0519.thumb.JPG.a735ad4bd9ab5e23be5e0accb89f128b.JPG

I had some home cured back bacon so played around with sandwich combinations:

No. 1: Eggs with herbs and chilis, back bacon and arugula on ciabatta.

No. 2: Egg with chili, back bacon, aged cheddar, tomato and arugula on ww bread.

No. 1 won for the bread and No. 2 for the filling composition.

DSCN0510.thumb.JPG.d456d087f98cbb2438da8c47f9cd80b7.JPGDSCN0512.thumb.JPG.f00be93b690cf39a9bc002ede52b8701.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 7

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Kimchi-braised short rib cheese toastie

C9FA2FE1-0709-445F-B6C2-E8297FCB14A5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.33928caa45995833f3af0e5cdd26c5b5.jpeg

I was thinking the leftovers from the kimchi-braised short ribs with pasta that I posted over on the dinner thread might be an excellent pizza topping but with no dough handy, I decided to pilot the idea as a toastie and it passed the test.  Expect to see that pizza (or perhaps a focaccia?)  in the future!  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:06 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Kimchi-braised short rib cheese toastie

C9FA2FE1-0709-445F-B6C2-E8297FCB14A5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.33928caa45995833f3af0e5cdd26c5b5.jpeg

I was thinking the leftovers from the kimchi-braised short ribs with pasta that I posted over on the dinner thread might be an excellent pizza topping but with no dough handy, I decided to pilot the idea as a toastie and it passed the test.  Expect to see that pizza (or perhaps a focaccia?)  in the future!  

Did you happen to see @Duvel’s recipe and technique for an emergency pizza crust?

Here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Did you happen to see @Duvel’s recipe and technique for an emergency pizza crust?

Here

Thanks!  I saw him mention emergency pizza crust the other day but I didn’t try to locate the source info.  The bowl swimming in a sink full of warm water sounds a bit scary but I will keep it in mind!  

• Like 1