• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

New Years Day morning. Steamed pork buns (肉包 - ròu bāo) with pickled yellow chilli peppers and pickled ginger.

Pickles are very popular with breakfast round here.

557799551_.thumb.jpg.7a8dfe3cbd6828d9cbc6d3b6cd2030b3.jpg

528231991_PickledYellowPeppersandGinger.thumb.jpg.4541f6737437ea323e0cc38ee1513646.jpg

Right in my wheelhouse, pork buns for breakfast. If I was out and about early, shopping in Oakland Chinatown, that would often be my morning meal. For breakfast New Year's Day morning we plan to use up the various partial loaves of bread that have accumulated over the last week and make French toast. Haven't made it in years. 

• Like 3

Happy New Year 2023 - may it be a peaceful & healthy one for all 🙏

Even though I am currently a (work-related) stay-at-home bachelor, while Mrs. Duvel and the little one are enjoying the beach in Catalonia, there is no reason not to start the new year in a proper way …

933C3645-B4AC-4B46-80CB-D3E76407D5DC.thumb.jpeg.41cbae952a40bf72ca5eb2ea8025e060.jpeg

72BBD430-62F0-476C-B7C7-FA9837A374A1.thumb.jpeg.edb5a6f7fb319d5f28b7a70e4dbe56e0.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 1

Looks like everyone is off to a wonderful start for the New Year.

Didn't do anything I had planned for breakfast or dinner yesterday.

One of our cats was sick and had to take him down to Victoria to an Emergency Vets.

They called last night to say that the blockage had moved and it looked like he wasn't going to need surgery.

I'm working today but going to  drive down and pick Huey up early so hoping the news is still good this morning.

Bill is already up to $2700. Hoping it won't be much more. 

So today's breakfast was simple. Moe loves the raisin bread so he requested just some toasted with Brie. 

Toasted Raisin Bread with Brie January 2nd, 2023.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Looks like everyone is off to a wonderful start for the New Year.

Didn't do anything I had planned for breakfast or dinner yesterday.

One of our cats was sick and had to take him down to Victoria to an Emergency Vets.

They called last night to say that the blockage had moved and it looked like he wasn't going to need surgery.

I'm working today but going to  drive down and pick Huey up early so hoping the news is still good this morning.

Bill is already up to $2700. Hoping it won't be much more. 

So today's breakfast was simple. Moe loves the raisin bread so he requested just some toasted with Brie. 

Toasted Raisin Bread with Brie January 2nd, 2023.jpg

Moe is a man of very catholic taste.

84FED9E7-89A9-4D88-9505-7F20BFB80364.thumb.jpeg.3a1159456fc3d87ef5f56aeb2c82d7cc.jpeg

Soft scrambled eggs with prosciutto. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No photo, because beige sludge isn't too visually appealing...but I had some really tasty overnight oats made with Bob's Red Mill 5 grain hot cereal, chia seeds, peanut butter powder, milk, cinnamon, and a few dried goji berries. Bob's cereal is great for keeping it's chew, I had been buying TJ's multigrain hot cereal but they either discontinued it or it has been out of stock for months.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

A “not classical” omelette and prosciutto sandwich. 

5917B609-997E-4EBE-9C3A-51EA5338C5BC.thumb.jpeg.f48272bc47ed9c0ea6cd090c29a96d59.jpeg

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Since I made the milk bread with maple syrup from Eric Kim's Korean American, I used it as he suggests to make kimchi sandwiches.

F23F459F-3040-4073-8628-A341439C4203_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.bd8e95e24f92e64115623d5e324c703c.jpeg

Just bread, crusts trimmed, spread with mayo and a filling of diced kimchi mixed with a pinch of sugar and spoon of sesame oil.    I consider kimchi-mayo  to be a fabulous sandwich condiment so this kinda seems like a nicely dressed sandwich awaiting its main ingredients.  As a follower of Max Halley's secret to delicious sandwiches: hot, cold, sweet, sour, crunchy, soft, this one is missing a few.  I think I'd add an egg, bacon and a pile of potato sticks but I'm sure if you grew up on it, this is pure comfort food just as is.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Just bread, crusts trimmed, spread with mayo and a filling of diced kimchi mixed with a pinch of sugar and spoon of sesame oil.

The bread is interesting, the filling is mouthwatering but what I would like to see is your kitchen-ready laser cutter that made such a neat division of the sandwich. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

A few breakfasts during a hockey filled week.

Chili and herb eggs, house sausage, tomatoes and ww toast with apricot jam. Blackberries on the side.

DSCN0477.thumb.JPG.583c1682c600656ab93b79fdfaa3d55b.JPG

Seafood chowder with hot sauce and chives, cheddar biscuits and blueberries and cherries in yogurt.

DSCN0484.thumb.JPG.45e22df5b8b3065b0443e8669c722aa9.JPG

Egg, sole and greens sandwich with blueberries and cherries.

DSCN0479.thumb.JPG.542119a63501f11bd896a1a7575f7c08.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Working my way through a giant loaf of maple syrup milk bread from Eric Kim's Korean American.  He says one of the best uses is a grilled cheese sandwich. He makes it with mozzarella and suggests spreading the inside of the bread slices with mayo and says it "melds with the cheese so you have a comfortingly bland, gooey, stretchy toasted sandwich."  I wasn't wild about the bland part so I went with gochujang mayo for yesterday's breakfast.

55BE2AAE-7196-4591-A089-2421D831B65C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4258e90e0428aa3f0a57d4e2f9bb4e1e.jpeg

There are more interesting cheeses than mozzarella for a grilled cheese but the gochujang livened it up and went well with the sweet-ish bread.  

Today, I made egg nog French toast with some of the Manhattan egg nog I have kicking around in the fridge.  With sausage and blackberries

041FE18D-EF72-46C7-AA70-0F6666375907_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.86362bfd1ce484bbb57743c94af9e204.jpeg

With all the maple syrup in that bread, it didn't need any more on top!

Edited by blue_dolphin
bland not gland! (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

There is one type of century egg which is prized over all others, yet they are just a matter of luck, really. With 松花蛋 (sōng huā dàn), literally 'pine flower eggs', the processing of the egg leads to the formation of these 'pine flower' patterns in what was the white of the egg. They make no difference to the taste, at all, but can be very visually attractive. I shelled two eggs this morning for my congee; the first was uniformly black but the second had formed 'pine flowers'. Lucky me!

1945617179_songhuadan.thumb.jpg.72e4f8078a5eea78fdb1bda3b3fcc0f5.jpg

松花蛋

Both went into the congee which had been slow-cooking all night. Also added some fried lean pork and enjoyed 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu zhōu) for breakfast. Looks dull after the pine flowers, but tasted just fine, thank you!

congee.thumb.jpg.0b54fe339dd1941a5a2e3ead9515815a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Caramelized-kimchi baked potatoes from Korean American with a soft boiled egg and grape tomatoes.  The recipe calls for larger potatoes but the header notes say you can use smaller spuds for a party platter and what is Monday's breakfast without a party platter!

6748E703-F819-4D1B-A4F1-BFB0B9C98F3C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.51422913ffa12641c435ee877fc8f28d.jpeg

These were really good.  I subbed diced country ham for the bacon but fried it and the kimchi in bacon fat.  Toppings are mozzarella, the caramelized kimchi, ham, sour cream and chives (I subbed scallions). 

Edited by blue_dolphin
italics (log)
  • Like 5

On 1/8/2023 at 2:25 PM, blue_dolphin said:

There are more interesting cheeses than mozzarella for a grilled cheese but the gochujang livened it up and went well with the sweet-ish bread.  

I find most grilled cheese sandwiches to be a little too rich and like to cut them with something. Usually it is onions of one kind or another. Perhaps I should look more in the direction of kimchee for a change. I can’t imagine a grilled cheese sandwich made with mozzarella, but perhaps if I tried it with a little gochujang I might get over my shudders. But with so many other cheeses available….  Then one never knows until one tries. It could have been a real epiphany. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Caramelized-kimchi baked potatoes from Korean American

What an amazing looking plate. With a breakfast like that I might not eat for the rest of the day. I think the folks in American Gothic would look so much different if they had a breakfast like this to start their day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Still on the road to poached egg perfection, two duck eggs on some German bread I was given. I don't really like German bread, but waste not... Irish butter.

egg1.thumb.jpg.6e6f314efafc749b9870e4ac6a737ea2.jpg

egg2.thumb.jpg.756a298d7894f4e90aa717a9cf8d7760.jpg

Bread was Vierkornbrot (4-grain bread - Rye 55%,  Wheat 5%, oats 5% and barley 5%). Although etymolologically related, 'korn' does not mean the dreaded cØrn, but 'grain'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto