• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

To fix a wondering link I hope.

In another thread, (Here)  @liuzhoushows off his newly acquired pepper mills explaining that he uses one for white peppercorns, one for black peppercorns and a spare which he keeps near his computer for snacks. White? Black?

The mention of white pepper stirred some memories, and I needed to see if I could find some support for my recollection that pepper on the table when I was growing up was white. I don’t recall black pepper in my childhood in the UK.

A little googling turned up this article on pepper. . It seems to confirm that my memory is not very far off. Here

In truth, I still prefer the flavour of white pepper to that of black, and yet I have been launched in the direction of only ever using black pepper, except for very specific occasions, including when cooking Asian food or light coloured dishes. 

I searched for a topic devoted to peppercorns. I was unable to find one. There are various topics on white pepper and other individual peppers, but nothing seems to bring all the peppercorns together.  (This is not about chili peppers or bell peppers or their like.)

Black peppercorns, white peppercorns, and green peppercorns. all come from the same botanical plant. Pink peppercorns and Sichuan pepper come from a different source.

What does your peppercorn collection look like and how do you use it?

Anna N

Anna N

In another thread, @liuzhoushows off his newly acquired pepper mills explaining that he uses one for white peppercorns, one for black peppercorns and a spare which he keeps near his computer for snacks. White? Black?

The mention of white pepper stirred some memories, and I needed to see if I could find some support for my recollection that pepper on the table when I was growing up was white. I don’t recall black pepper in my childhood in the UK.

A little googling turned up this article on pepper. Here. It seems to confirm that my memory is not very far off. Here

In truth, I still prefer the flavour of white pepper to that of black, and yet I have been launched in the direction of only ever using black pepper, except for very specific occasions, including when cooking Asian food or light coloured dishes. 

I searched for a topic devoted to peppercorns. I was unable to find one. There are various topics on white pepper and other individual peppers, but nothing seems to bring all the peppercorns together.  (This is not about chili peppers or bell peppers or their like.)

Black peppercorns, white peppercorns, and green peppercorns. all come from the same botanical plant. Pink peppercorns and Sichuan pepper come from a different source.

What does your peppercorn collection look like and how do you use it?