• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food memories: when did you first discover ***** and find a new food love?

Smithy

18 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I get through a lot of these - on average ten a week; I have home made 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu yù) - Century egg and Pork Congee for breakfast several times a week. I tend to agree with you though; they are best served with a chilli sauce (and a soy dip). They are often served that way as an appetiser in restaurants.

629742167_pidan2019(1).thumb.jpg.16fc93c204759c329be9acf3a343c9db.jpg

I was apprehensive the first time I ate one all those years ago, but  really they just taste like very eggy eggs. A lot of the reports are highly coloured by their visual appearance and people forget to describe the taste.

My hubby, of Scottish and English descent, insists on a diced up whole egg in his congee. The first time he had a taste was with my Mom. She was duly impressed. He's also one who enjoys Ham Ha (fermented shrimp paste) or Ham yu steamed with fatty pork.

My fondest first memory, when I came to Canada at the age of 10,(1958), was when my Dad fried bacon then slice of bread in bacon fat on the flat top. It was my first taste of bacon! I still love that bread. LOL!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

10 minutes ago, Dejah said:

My hubby, of Scottish and English descent, insists on a diced up whole egg in his congee. The first time he had a taste was with my Mom. She was duly impressed. He's also one who enjoys Ham Ha (fermented shrimp paste) or Ham yu steamed with fatty pork.

My fondest first memory, when I came to Canada at the age of 10,(1958), was when my Dad fried bacon then slice of bread in bacon fat on the flat top. It was my first taste of bacon! I still love that bread. LOL!

Bread fried in bacon fat is manna from heaven. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Bread fried in bacon fat is manna from heaven. 

You got that right!  Whenever I have a fried egg, I always have it on a bacon-fat-fried piece of bread (no crusts please).  The egg, of course, is also fried in bacon fat.  Delicious!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

May I be pedantic as well ?

At what point was it implied that all sushi is raw fish ?

You may, indeed.

In the meantime I'll point out that I never said it was implied here, but, as you well know, it is a common error. I merely asked that it not be repeated here. While sushi is often served with raw fish it is not  a synonym. Sushi (寿司 or 鮨) refers to 'rice', irrespective of the topping..

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Dejah said:

Congee, I find, benefits from egg in all its many guises. Simply boiled then chopped or diced, salted eggs or even a poached egg on top, but my favourite is definitely 皮蛋 (pí dàn), century egg.

Which reminds me it's time for me to start a new batch of congee. I do several days worth about twice a week and keep it plain in the fridge. Toppings and additions are added to my bowlful each day depending on my whim. But pidan and minced pork is the most common.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Which reminds me it's time for me to start a new batch of congee. I do several days worth about twice a week and keep it plain in the fridge. Toppings and additions are added to my bowlful each day depending on my whim. But pidan and minced pork is the most common.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll have to look up pidan. 

20 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

What is the name of that thick spaghetti? I'm sure the shape has a name--they all do.

Bucatini?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

If bigoli weren't made with whole wheat flour, that would be the most likely

They don't need to be. I think the English Wikipedia entry needs an overhaul ...