• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Dejah said:

My hubby, of Scottish and English descent, insists on a diced up whole egg in his congee. The first time he had a taste was with my Mom. She was duly impressed. He's also one who enjoys Ham Ha (fermented shrimp paste) or Ham yu steamed with fatty pork.

Congee, I find, benefits from egg in all its many guises. Simply boiled then chopped or diced, salted eggs or even a poached egg on top, but my favourite is definitely 皮蛋 (pí dàn), century egg.

Which reminds me it's time for me to start a new batch of congee. I do several days worth about twice a week and keep it plain in the fridge. Toppings and additions are added to my bowlful each day depending on my whim. But pidan and minced pork is the most common.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

My hubby, of Scottish and English descent, insists on a diced up whole egg in his congee. The first time he had a taste was with my Mom. She was duly impressed.

Congee, I find, benefits from egg in all its many guises. Simply boiled then chopped or diced, salted eggs or even a poached egg on top, but my favourite is definitely 皮蛋 (pí dàn), century egg. Which reminds me it's time for me to start a new batch of congee. I do several days worth about twice a week and keep it plain in the fridge. Toppings and additions are added to my bowlful each day depending on my whim. But pidan and minced pork is the most common.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

My hubby, of Scottish and English descent, insists on a diced up whole egg in his congee. The first time he had a taste was with my Mom. She was duly impressed.

Congee, I find, benefits from egg in all its many guises. Simply boiled then chopped or diced, salted eggs or even a poached egg on top, but my favourite is definitely 皮蛋 (pí dàn), century egg. Which reminds me it's time for me to start a new batch of congee. I do several days worth about twice a week and keep it  in the fridge.