• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

I have so many that I will bore you all lol.

I was probably in second or third grade living high in the mountains of Colorado--this was in the early '80's.  I had a boy friend.  Ok we had crushes on each other so maybe I should say boyfriend but we weren't into that icky other stuff that goes along with liking someone like that lol.  His mom was and still is, I'm sure, a great cook.  Her mom owned a bakery that would open each summer during tourist season, but I digress.  One morning after playing hard outside in the snow we came inside for lunch.  She had made grilled peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches.  O M G.  Sure I'd had regular grilled cheese---she and my mom both had the same grilled cheese maker.  I can picture it.  Black and square with a clasp thingy on the end that kept it closed while the sandwich "grilled".  Anyway, the toasted, warm, gooey peanut butter and the jelly.  Pure heaven.  I went home and raved.  I'm sure I drove my mom nuts about it lol.

Same mom and dad always threw a huge party on Christmas Eve--very stressful for me because as the night wore on I was always convinced that Santa wasn't going to leave me anything due to me not being in bed!  I was first introduced to a brick of cream cheese covered in jalapeño pepper jelly.  One had red and the other had green.  I thought it was so pretty and festive and OH so good with crackers.

Around the same age the principal of the tiny school I went to had a party....don't remember why but it was winter and cold.  Anyway, they made steamed whole, fresh artichokes (I had never seen these wondrous things before!).  A ramekin of melted butter on the side.....the adults would tear off a leaf, dip it in butter, scrape their teeth down and discard the rest.  My mom saw me staring and let me have one...which turned into I don't know how many before the principal and his wife chased me off because it was just for grown-ups.  Being an only child and that I was always included in everything with my family, I felt entirely snubbed lol.

To be continued........

Shelby

Shelby

I have so many that I will bore you all lol.

I was probably in second or third grade living high in the mountains of Colorado--this was in the '80's.  I had a boy friend.  Ok we had crushes on each other so maybe I should say boyfriend but we weren't into that icky other stuff that goes along with liking someone like that lol.  His mom was and still is, I'm sure, a great cook.  Her mom owned a bakery that would open each summer during tourist season, but I digress.  One morning after playing hard outside in the snow we came inside for lunch.  She had made grilled peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches.  O M G.  Sure I'd had regular grilled cheese---she and my mom both had the same grilled cheese maker.  I can picture it.  Black and square with a clasp thingy on the end that kept it closed while the sandwich "grilled".  Anyway, the toasted, warm, gooey peanut butter and the jelly.  Pure heaven.  I went home and raved.  I'm sure I drove my mom nuts about it lol.

Same mom and dad always threw a huge party on Christmas Eve--very stressful for me because as the night wore on I was always convinced that Santa wasn't going to leave me anything due to me not being in bed!  I was first introduced to a brick of cream cheese covered in jalapeño pepper jelly.  One had red and the other had green.  I thought it was so pretty and festive and OH so good with crackers.

Around the same age the principal of the tiny school I went to had a party....don't remember why but it was winter and cold.  Anyway, they made steamed whole, fresh artichokes (I had never seen these wondrous things before!).  A ramekin of melted butter on the side.....the adults would tear off a leaf, dip it in butter, scrape their teeth down and discard the rest.  My mom saw me staring and let me have one...which turned into I don't know how many before the principal and his wife chased me off because it was just for grown-ups.  Being an only child and that I was always included in everything with my family, I felt entirely snubbed lol.

To be continued........