• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beating eggs the day before for fluffier omelettes?

rustwood

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If he took care of his egg pans and didn't scratch them up with that damn fork they wouldn't stick in the first place and he wouldn't have to bang them with his wrist.

According to Monsieur Pépin that technique is to cause the omelet to fold over on itself, as he explains above. He also uses it to encourage the omelet to move toward the outer edge of the pan so it can be neatly transferred to the plate. I don’t think it has anything to do with anything sticking.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

According to Monsieur Pépin that technique is to cause the omelet to fold over on itself, as he explains above. He also uses it to encourage the omelet to move toward the outer edge of the pan so it can be neatly transferred to the plate. I don’t think it has anything to do with anything sticking.  

Just saying, I've made thousands of omelets that look just as good as his and never used a fork nor did I ever have to tap the pan to get them to release. It can all be done with just a flip of the wrist.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

I would love to know how many omelets I made during 2 years working breakfast. That said, expectations were very American style. A little water to make them fluff. I am not sure the methods I was taught conforms to anyone's best practices. That said, I love omelets, respect J. Pepin, and have cooked maybe 2 or 3 french style omelets, all at home following his techniques book (iirc). 

To my taste, browning is to be avoided. 

This advice is worth even less than what you paid for it.

We pre beat eggs, but not for fluff. 

Edited by billyhill
Additions (log)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, billyhill said:

I would love to know how many omelets I made during 2 years working breakfast

Nice to meet another breakfast cook. I worked breakfast lines, off and on, for over 9 years so I think I can safely say that I have made thousands.

To my taste, browning is to be avoided

To my taste, a brown omelette is a total failure. I wouldn't serve one nor would I want to be served one. French country people may like them but I don't.

We pre beat eggs, but not for fluff

On an extremely busy breakfast line, sometimes it is just a total necessity. In my opinion, it does diminish the quality. I would much rather make an omelet with eggs fresh from the shell. As for adding salt, that is something that I would also never do in a restaurant setting because salt on eggs is so much a personal preference that that is always left to the customer.

I believe that fluffiness depends on the skill of the cook and the speed at which gets to the customer. Eggs start to deflate the minute that they leave the heat.

• Like 1

Just as a general thanks to this topic, I decided to make an omelette this morning for the first time in a few years. I don't often eat breakfast, and it it's eggs I really love a proper scramble. 

However, I was delighted to see I hadn't lost my touch. It was delicious, done fast, and magazine pretty. I told myself I was going to take a picture, then remembered as I was nearing the last bite...

• Haha 5

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting