• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beating eggs the day before for fluffier omelettes?

rustwood

The owner/cook at a popular breakfast/lunch place told me the secret to his excellent omelettes is that he beats his eggs for the next day before he closes (~2 pm) and stores them in the refrigerator overnight (covered/sealed) because they then yield fluffier omelettes.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?  I haven't and I haven't been able to find anything along those lines via google. 

1 minute ago, rustwood said:

The owner/cook at a popular breakfast/lunch place told me the secret to his excellent omelettes is that he beats his eggs for the next day before he closes (~2 pm) and stores them in the refrigerator overnight (covered/sealed) because they then yield fluffier omelettes.  Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?  I haven't and I haven't been able to find anything along those lines via google. 

I have never heard of this before. It would be interesting to know if he is adding anything to the eggs.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rustwood said:

I suppose pre-seasoning with salt might have an impact overnight though.

I'm sure it would have an impact, but not the desired one. Salt would be more likely to toughen up the eggs.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don't think that really makes a difference. I've run high end scratch restaurants that do a lot of eggs and have never noticed a difference between cracking the eggs that morning or the day before. If you are doing 30 or 40 quarts of eggs it makes sense to have some done in advance so you don't get behind but at home I wouldn't bother. 

One thing you could do that we do in restaurants that is rarely done at home is pass your eggs through a strainer after you beat them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm sure it would have an impact, but not the desired one. Salt would be more likely to toughen up the eggs.

Salting up to an hour in advance doesn't toughen the eggs at all, but I wonder about eight or twelve hours. Does anyone know if that's been tested?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

That was my point. Denser omelettes are, to me, the opposite of fluffier.

I know this because i grew up eating scrambled eggs like that. My dad never added milk, only salted butterm salt, and pepper. To this day i still prefer dense scrambled eggs. Omlettes i do like fluffy.

19 hours ago, rustwood said:

secret to his excellent omelettes is that he beats his eggs for the next day before he closes (~2 pm) and stores them in the refrigerator overnight

When I worked the breakfast line in a large restaurant, on weekends we always beat the eggs the day before and stored them just as part of our setup for the busiest days of the week. Not because it made fluffier eggs. And we never salted eggs before they went out to the customer.

14 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

pass your eggs through a strainer after you beat them. 

We always strained the eggs but it was to catch any bits of eggshell not because it made them fluffier.

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Mont St. Michel is quite famous for puffy omelet, but theirs is beat to order in front of you.

One small restaurant that I worked in specialized in fluffy omelets. We beat the living daylights out of them and then finished them on the griddle under a lid. They then had to be served to the customer within one minute or they completely collapsed. They were impressive but a real PIA.

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Salting up to an hour in advance doesn't toughen the eggs at all

As I said before, we never salted eggs before they went out to the customer. In those days we didn't have Teflon egg pans and any salt in the eggs could have damaged the tempering.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

I thought that it didn't sound right.  Thanks all for sharing your thoughts.  Next time I am going to try straining the eggs though.

Nothing to do with fluffy omelettes, but similar to FeChef, I grew up eating egg sandwiches that tended to be a bit scorched and I still make them that way - on purpose.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

La Mere Poulard on Mont St. Michel is quite famous for puffy omelet, but theirs is beat to order in front of you.

Probably where Alice stole her "idea" of cooking an egg over fire in a ladle!

But really, that's not an omelet as we have come to recognize it, is it? If one is cooking an egg dish, placing it into an oven, or covering it...then it's not an omelette any more, in my opinion.  

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I agree completely. Those that we made were like some sort of a bastard souffle. I want an omelette to look like an omelet.

Almost like the one I put together (hastily) this morning in order to test the theory...

IMG_8179.thumb.jpeg.c3a09628269493798ccd155935c07471.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

But really, that's not an omelet as we have come to recognize it, is it? If one is cooking an egg dish, placing it into an oven, or covering it...then it's not an omelette any more, in my opinion.  

And yet Jacques Pépin recognizes a country omelette, made such as I would make a frittata and a French country omelette, which is well browned. There are so many variations. Personally, I consider them all quite delicious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Jacques's French country omelet is basically a frittata in my book. The difference being that his country omelette is not folded, which is how I define an omelette.

And if you were to have gone for a job interview in Jacques's kitchen, and he asked you to make an omelette, my guess is he wanted to see something similar to what I posted above. Although I doubt I would have gotten the job!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

17 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And if you were to have gone for a job interview in Jacques's kitchen, and he asked you to make an omelette, my guess is he wanted to see something similar to what I posted above. Although I doubt I would have gotten the job!

His loss.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

If one were to go to a hundred different restaurants and order an omelette, one would get a hundred different types of omelets all dependent on who was cooking that day. That's why I never order an omelette in a restaurant.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

The difference being that his country omelette is not folded, which is how I define an omelette.

But he has 2 country omelettes. The one that you and I would definitely call a frittata and then something he calls a French country omelette, which is browned and neatly folded.

Here

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog