• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using an egg incubator to hold chocolate in temper: has anyone tried this?

Aunt Esther

I do my airbrushing of my bonbons in my garage. one because I don't want to make too much of a mess in the kitchen and two so my wife doesn't kill me for making said mess. But I was thinking in terms of keeping colored cocoa butter at temper using an egg incubator. Has anyone tried this and has it worked out for them? If not, what have been some of the challenges?

• Like 1

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Quite a few of the chocolatiers use a dehydrator to keep their cocoa butter & airbrushes warm. It is all a question of what equipment you have lying around and what temperature it can accurately hold.

4 hours ago, Aunt Esther said:

I do my airbrushing of my bonbons in my garage. one because I don't want to make too much of a mess in the kitchen and two so my wife doesn't kill me for making said mess. But I was thinking in terms of keeping colored cocoa butter at temper using an egg incubator. Has anyone tried this and has it worked out for them? If not, what have been some of the challenges?

You need to determine what temperature the egg incubator operates at and whether you will have to do anything to adjust that. You can put a dimmer switch on most heaters to dial in the temperature you are after. A dehydrator, which has a fan, is useful as the circulating air tends to help more with keeping things the temperature you want.

I actually have two lab incubators in my chocolate room in which I keep colored cocoa butter and my guns. 

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You need to determine what temperature the egg incubator operates at and whether you will have to do anything to adjust that. You can put a dimmer switch on most heaters to dial in the temperature you are after. A dehydrator, which has a fan, is useful as the circulating air tends to help more with keeping things the temperature you want.

I actually have two lab incubators in my chocolate room in which I keep colored cocoa butter and my guns. 

Thank you Kerry, The ones that i have looked at meet my temperature requirements and that is exactly what I am looking to do is keep my colors and my airbrushes in them. Might I add, I lurked before I joined and your work is outstanding. I am a big fan

• Like 1