• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I rarely see onions labeled “Spanish” in the stores. I see yellow onions of all sizes, usually smaller ones in mesh bags and bigger ones sold loose, though sometimes the bagged ones are big, too.  

My memory is that back in the day the red ones were called Spanish. Now, as has been posted - the big 3 red, yellow, white - look similar but are prced differently. The red ones always bit higher. I have attributed that here in healthville to the purposted benefits of red. I like red raw and oickled but based on quality and price I go for what will not be layers of paper waste.

Those various chives esp garlic are a whole nother delicious world.

heidih

heidih

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I rarely see onions labeled “Spanish” in the stores. I see yellow onions of all sizes, usually smaller ones in mesh bags and bigger ones sold loose, though sometimes the bagged ones are big, too.  

My memry is that back in the day the red ones were called Spanish. Now, as has been posted - the big 3 red, yellow, white - look similare but are prced differently. The red ones always bit higher. I have attributed that here in healthville to the purposted benefits of red. I like red raw and oickled but based on quality and price I go for what will not be layers of paper waste.

Those various chives esp garlic are a whole nother delicious world.