• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dulce de Leche Solido? Help, please!!

AKS613

Hi everyone! My daughter went to Argentina and brought me home a slab of Dulce de Leche Solido. I'm not quite sure what to do with it, though. Do I shave into apple pie? Do I melt it? Does it melt? Do I cut into small chunks for cookies? Are you supposed to eat it plain? I don't want to waste it with a lot of trial and error, so before I do I thought I'd ask the most knowledgeable people I "know". 

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 9.41.42 AM.png

Edited by AKS613
typo (log)
  • Like 1

I think it might be intended to be a fudgy candy, as @heidih suggested. 

I searched through the dulce de leche cookbook I have, Dulce de Leche: Recipes, Stories and Sweet Traditions (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), and it does not mention dulce de leche solido as an ingredient.  Some of the recipes call for a thicker confectionary version, dulce de leche repostero, and there's a recipe for that but it's still a thick spread, not a solid like your photos.

Hopefully, a truly knowledgeable person will come forth!

Not to be a pil-bug but an M&M sized nibble would not break a cloric bank and might give you a better sense of its meltability and  elasticity - may not take to shaoving.  Gawd now I m wishing for a can of cow or goatt condensed milk in pantry to make regular dulce de leche. I love the flavor. 

I remember seeing this when I was in Argentina but I didn't try any of it. It is a candy but is similar to what they call cajeta in other Latin countries. It is basically just a fudge from dulce de leche that has been cooked down to a solid form. It is very, very sweet. As Heidi said, you probably just want a piece the size of an M&M. That size package should last you quite a while. However, it is Christmas so you could cut it up and put it in your candy dishes. You might want to put a sign on the dish that you are not responsible for resulting dental work.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 2