• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 12/20/2022 at 3:13 PM, KennethT said:

BUT, I've been getting more and more into making Indonesian food (as well as other SE Asian foods) which would make lots of use of what @gfweb is talking about.  Look at any YouTube video of people in SE Asia making SE Asian curries and all you see are things that look like the Bullet type blender or very small chopper.  Currently I'm either doing it by hand with a mortar/pestle to make me feel like a SE Asian grandmother or I make a big enough batch to use my normal sized blender - but then I have to either add water or some oil to get it to blend properly.

Pai from Hot Thai Kitchen recommends the Breville stick blender @JoNorvelleWalker mentions upthread as specifically being good for making curry pastes — I ran across that recommendation when I was looking to replace my stick blender, and I've also been very happy with it. I have one with a slightly different set of accessories. I find it's replaced my other mini-prep type devices.

dtremit

dtremit

On 12/20/2022 at 3:13 PM, KennethT said:

BUT, I've been getting more and more into making Indonesian food (as well as other SE Asian foods) which would make lots of use of what @gfweb is talking about.  Look at any YouTube video of people in SE Asia making SE Asian curries and all you see are things that look like the Bullet type blender or very small chopper.  Currently I'm either doing it by hand with a mortar/pestle to make me feel like a SE Asian grandmother or I make a big enough batch to use my normal sized blender - but then I have to either add water or some oil to get it to blend properly.

Pai from Hot Thai Kitchen recommends the Breville stick blender @JoNorvelleWalker mentions upthread as specifically being good for making curry pastes — I ran across that recommendation when I was looking to replace my stick blender, and I've also been very happy with it. I have one with a slightly different set of accessories.