• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Household drinking water safety

Darienne

Daily I get two food recalls downloads, in addition to this eGullet topic, one Canadian, the other American and international.  How to depress yourself first thing in the morning....:sad:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

How to depress yourself first thing in the morning....:sad:

My father used to tell me you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die and there was a bar in the Bahamas called "Sit and Be  Damned"  - both seem apropos

p

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, palo said:

My father used to tell me you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die and there was a bar in the Bahamas called "Sit and Be  Damned"  - both seem apropos

p

I'm sure that living on a farm on a dirt road with always two large dogs who have the run of the house has guaranteed that 'peck'....it's more the e coli and salmonella and listeria kinds of things that will do you in....  We do have our well water tested regularly.   That water ends up in our food and that of our guests.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

We have a well that tested positive for coliforms.  For years we used that water to wash our veg. Who knew the veg was safer than the water?  LOL.

There's a UV sterilizer now.

We recently bought a UV sterilizer also.  No coliforms...but much bacteria over the summer.  Not too much fun cleaning the water while expecting guests in two weeks and hoping it all worked out.  Which it did. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne I know you live in my neck of the woods. We've been in this house over 40 years and our well water tested perfectly until just a couple of years ago, when we got some coliform show up in the results. I started to worry that all the recent residential and road construction has messed with our water source so we put in a UV thingy. Water actually tastes better than it did before so I'm pretty happy. And no longer worry that we might kill some random houseguest. 

• Like 1

As some may know I rely on our county old person para-transport service to get to work most days.  Today the driver related that a client he takes once a week to Shoprite to buy groceries and bottled water explained her tap water was contaminated with arsenic, so she does not use it.  I know where the woman lives, and I know her water supply is the same as mine.  Test results by law are published and arsenic is not a problem.

The driver asked her about taking showers and she replied she does not.  The driver told me he is requesting a dump truck from the county so that she can ride in back.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou