• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Haha... the bakllava above ^^... I could count the bits of nuts inside on the fingers of one hand. Expensive phyllo dough.

-------

Sweet milk rice. I didn't touch it.
21sSXZC.jpg

Last breakfast at our guest house in Gjirokaster. I requested the home-made yoghurt again. They made a short video clip of making petulla (fried dough) for me. Will miss their lovely family, whose hospitality and kindness are a way of (Albanian) life. This is how a guest house business should be run. Gave them extra money and left the wife my spare (new) camera with batteries and charger. She has mentioned she's never had a camera and I have many so I thought I'd give her one of mine. Both of them were delighted to have my camera. I also gave them some of my Iranian red pistachios for their new year home-made bakllava. The morning I left got a big plastic bottle their wine.
NwnG3nQ.jpg

Back in the capital and staying the night to break up the long journey.
Clusters of seed heads?
UMFdXcg.jpg

Went to the new market to find the elderly herb seller but she had already left for the day. I printed out an A4 photo I took of her a couple of weeks earlier and left it with her neighbour to hold on to. I took one and only photo of the new market. You can put  lipstick on a pig...
Ypl3g9F.jpg

At the old market all these pickled vegetables were piled high in plastic pails in the open. Stuffed aubergines were probably the most intriguing to me. Haven't seen any yet this time.
MLndFMh.jpg

Mister Bean in his Mini Cooper
VfzzNkB.jpg

Austrian processed "cheese". I have seen some people eat a wedge alongside their qofte (kofte).
BTkkIK6.jpg

"TFC". Near my lodging, but doesn't have fried chicken like KFC. Haven't been inside. Maybe soon. There's also "AFC" (Albanian fried chicken restaurant, and Albanian version of Macca's)
oIoGkmQ.jpg

xL3rYQ4.jpg

I hope they are well
0Hlv1G1.jpg

Same area, 7 years apart. Where the 2 old men playing game of stones on the pavement.
4YzZVHi.jpg

Time to eat. This local place has King Pils on tap.
6kkscqf.jpg

TLWENTW.jpg

Pickled peppers stuffed with young cheese/ricotta.
RtmcFLA.jpg

Qofte.
TOWT2Bw.jpg

Puffy bread
ELZyOYP.jpg

bmvKs4R.jpg

Albanian sausage "Suxhuk" (from Turkish Suçuk/beef sausage)
EkTB71s.jpg

Skewer
lUx5eq3.jpg

And more bread
9oVL52v.jpg

Same, dude. Same.  (Mural outside the restaurant)
RFEVeRz.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Haha... the bakllava above ^^... I could count the bits of nuts inside on the fingers of one hand. Expensive phyllo dough.

-------

Sweet milk rice. I didn't touch it.
21sSXZC.jpg

Last breakfast at our guest house in Gjirokaster. I requested the home-made yoghurt again. They made a short video clip of making petulla (fried dough) for me. Will miss their lovely family, whose hospitality and kindness are a way of (Albanian) life. This is how a guest house business should be run. Gave them extra money and left the wife my spare (new) camera with batteries and charger. She has mentioned she's never had a camera and I have many so I thought I'd give her one of mine. Both of them were delighted to have my camera. I also gave them some of my Iranian red pistachios for their new year home-made bakllava. I got a big plastic bottle their wine in the morning I left.
NwnG3nQ.jpg

Back in the capital and staying the night to break up the long journey.
Clusters of seed heads?
UMFdXcg.jpg

Went to the new market to find the elderly herb seller but she had already left for the day. I printed out an A4 photo I took of her a couple of weeks earlier and left it with her neighbour to hold on to. I took one and only photo of the new market. You can put  lipstick on a pig...
Ypl3g9F.jpg

At the old market all these pickled vegetables were piled high in plastic pails in the open. Stuffed aubergines were probably the most intriguing to me. Haven't seen any yet this time.
MLndFMh.jpg

Mister Bean in his Mini Cooper
VfzzNkB.jpg

Austrian processed "cheese". I have seen some people eat a wedge alongside their qofte (kofte).
BTkkIK6.jpg

"TFC". Near my lodging, but doesn't have fried chicken like KFC. Haven't been inside. Maybe soon. There's also "AFC" (Albanian fried chicken restaurant, and Albanian version of Macca's)
oIoGkmQ.jpg

xL3rYQ4.jpg

I hope they are well
0Hlv1G1.jpg

Same area, 7 years apart. Where the 2 old men playing game of stones on the pavement.
4YzZVHi.jpg

Time to eat. This local place has King Pils on tap.
6kkscqf.jpg

TLWENTW.jpg

Pickled peppers stuffed with young cheese/ricotta.
RtmcFLA.jpg

Qofte.
TOWT2Bw.jpg

Puffy bread
ELZyOYP.jpg

bmvKs4R.jpg

Albanian sausage "Suxhuk" (from Turkish Suçuk/beef sausage)
EkTB71s.jpg

Skewer
lUx5eq3.jpg

And more bread
9oVL52v.jpg

Same, dude. Same.  (Mural outside the restaurant)
RFEVeRz.jpg