• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Today was even more emotional than yesterday. First thing I did was going back to a different market to find a particular fruit seller. This is where that street market used to stand.

8mUieME.jpg

Btw, Albanians are curious. Took them no time to notice me whilst I was totally focused on making photos. They looked at me the whole time, wandered slowly towards me and next thing you know they were very close. Then when I showed them the photos and translated texts they became even more curious, discussing loudly amongst themselves, asking passersby if they could help. I noticed this on my previously trip how kind and helpful Albanians were. Such a rare thing in this world nowadays.

Anyway, I would have liked so much to see this man again. He already noticed me making photos of him and when I was in front of his "stall" he posed for me like this. He was so delighted when I showed him this photo on the camera screen. I had wanted to return to Albania sooner but 7 years are much too late.
IlZpGWB.jpg

Later in another area where there's a park. Back then it was full of pensioners and elderly people sitting on the benches every day. Well, they have remodelled the park and got rid of all the benches, all of them. Not one lousy bench left. Woman on far left looked directly at me. I hope she's doing well and enjoying her golden years.
n2g07RG.jpg

Ate lunch at a simple restaurant today near the park in above photo. I asked what the dish of the day was but he thought I wanted to order it and brought it to me. The partner said the rice tasted of carrot. Meat is thinly sliced chicken breast.
jiVfTWe.jpg

Server couldn't tell me what most things on a small menu were so I just picked one. Turned out I had it before in the north. In this one here there's cheese in the sauce, chunks of slow-cooked meat and tendons. One I had in the north had mostly offal and leftover bits of meat.
7kGHvX9.jpg

The clay pot has a deep crack. There's some grease leakage on the napkin. This is a cheap and simple local restaurant in a posh area of the city, but still, the meal costs twice as much as a typical cheap meal I ate in Korea which came with rice, banchan, and a big piece of grilled mackerel.
z8gIWzq.jpg

We ate the whole bag of pistachios today on the bed over spread-out newspapers like 2 chimps. I broke my thumbnail and sliced my finger with the sharp shells. Went back to the street side stall and bought 2 more kilos.
T907bIq.jpg

Other nuts look great but I only have this chance to buy Iranian red pistachios so...
T4vI6iA.jpg

I checked the price in the supermarket. 4020 lek ($37) a kilo. Iranian pistachios are more common here and cheaper than Sicilian (literally twice as expensive).
HEShENT.jpg

I did go back to the "new market" to find the herb seller. So few buyers/browsers. It's a far cry from the former atmospheric market. So sad.
Ln3mrC4.jpg

Figs and other dried fruits looked good but nothing had price on it and I don't like bargaining..
D2iLU0I.jpg

gtfTkiA.jpg

Will buy some chillies to take home even though I have a lot of Mexican.
Z5hjKYA.jpg

BZfTRKg.jpg

ADxp8S5.jpg

RXAFrJ8.jpg

I saw her from a distance and recognised her. When I approached her she knew. We were smiling and happy. It was emotional for her, but more for me. 7 years and I still remember her. I'm so glad she's well and got through the last 2 difficult years. She should be enjoying her golden years and not standing here in the cold working. Gentle lady. So kind and appreciative.
euIu0PT.jpg

Hope she's there again when I return next week. I bought 3 different herbs and the cost? 50 cents. She threw in a small bunch of parsley as well. I pressed a 200 lek ($2) note into her palm. Will buy some herbs the day before going home, if she's there in the new year. I hope so ('cuz I'm going to give her a lot more for the herbs). Giving them to someone tomorrow, will ask names of the herbs.
QYkqZdF.jpg

Pitta with gyros meat and cheese
lFzksf7.jpg

A bit similar as above but without cheese, meat is different as well.
wfERiHw.jpg

25OwGRi.jpg

As far as I know, only in Japan KFC is the "christmas food".
oWsZfwK.jpg

Some more photos from earlier today.
Look nice but they are all mass produced and sold all over Albania and the Balkan.
2Dms9xM.jpg

8G77rZt.jpg

A national hero in the national square. His army defeated the Turks and kicked them out for good.
NEozyqD.jpg

There's a saying "Welcome to Albania. Your car is already here." On my previous trip I found out not only my car but also my tax.
wlGIO8g.jpg

@heidih, it's not dyed. Iran is the world biggest producer of pistachios and Iranian red cultivars are pretty much only grown in Iran. FYI, ancient Greeks called Iranians "pistachio eaters".

Re progress and changes. Young Albanians don't care about old days and old ways. They just want to be like the West. 1. To have what Greece has: receive (free) unlimited free EU money, to be one everyone's bucket list. Old people suffered so much under communism they just want to move on. Yesterday the market stallholders looked my my photos and they all had sad smiles. 

BonVivant

BonVivant

Today was even more emotional than yesterday. First thing I did was going back to a different market to find a particular fruit seller. This is where that street market used to stand.

8mUieME.jpg

Btw, Albanians are curious. Took them no time to notice me whilst I was totally focused on making photos. They looked at me the whole time, wandered slowly towards me and next thing you know they were very close. Then when I showed them the photos and translated texts they became even more curious, discussing loudly amongst themselves, asking passersby if they could help. I noticed this on my previously trip how kind and helpful Albanians were. Such a rare thing in this world nowadays.

Anyway, I would have liked so much to see this man again. He already noticed me making photos of him and when I was in front of his "stall" he posed for me like this. He was so delighted when I showed him this photo on the camera screen. I had wanted to return to Albania sooner but 7 years are much too late.
IlZpGWB.jpg

Later in another area where there's a park. Back then it was full of pensioners and elderly people sitting on the benches every day. Well, they have remodelled the park and got rid of all the benches, all of them. Not one lousy bench left. Woman on far left looked directly at me. I hope she's doing well and enjoying her golden years.
n2g07RG.jpg

Ate lunch at a simple restaurant today near the park in above photo. I asked what the dish of the day was but he thought I wanted to order it and brought it to me. The partner said the rice tasted of carrot. Meat is thinly sliced chicken breast.
jiVfTWe.jpg

Server couldn't tell me what most things on a small menu were so I just picked one. Turned out I had it before in the north. In this one here there's cheese in the sauce, chunks of slow-cooked meat and tendons. One I had in the north had mostly offal and leftover bits of meat.
7kGHvX9.jpg

The clay pot has a deep crack. There's some grease leakage on the napkin. This is a cheap and simple local restaurant in a posh area of the city, but still, the meal costs twice as much as a typical cheap meal I ate in Korea which came with rice, banchan, and a big piece of grilled mackerel.
z8gIWzq.jpg

We ate the whole bag of pistachios today on the bed over spread-out newspapers like 2 chimps. I broke my thumbnail and sliced my finger with the sharp shells. Went back to the street side stall and bought 2 more kilos.
T907bIq.jpg

Other nuts look great but I only have this chance to buy Iranian red pistachios so...
T4vI6iA.jpg

I checked the price in the supermarket. 4020 lek ($37) a kilo. Iranian pistachios are more common here and cheaper than Sicilian (literally twice as expensive).
HEShENT.jpg

I did go back to the "new market" to find the herb seller. So few buyers/browsers. It's a far cry from the former atmospheric market. So sad.
Ln3mrC4.jpg

Figs and other dried fruits looked good but nothing had price on it and I don't like bargaining..
D2iLU0I.jpg

gtfTkiA.jpg

Z5hjKYA.jpg

BZfTRKg.jpg

ADxp8S5.jpg

RXAFrJ8.jpg

I saw her from a distance and recognised her. When I approached her she knew. We were smiling and happy. It was emotional for her, but more for me. 7 years and I still remember her. I'm so glad she's well and got through the last 2 difficult years. She should be enjoying her golden years and not standing here in the cold working. Gentle lady. So kind and appreciative.
euIu0PT.jpg

Hope she's there again when I return next week. I bought 3 different herbs and the cost? 50 cents. She threw in a small bunch of parsley as well. I pressed a 200 lek ($2) note into her palm. Will buy some herbs the day before going home, if she's there in the new year. I hope so ('cuz I'm going to give her a lot more for the herbs). Giving them to someone tomorrow, will ask names of the herbs.
QYkqZdF.jpg

lFzksf7.jpg

wfERiHw.jpg

25OwGRi.jpg

oWsZfwK.jpg

Look nice but they are all mass produced and sold all over Albania and the Balkan.
2Dms9xM.jpg

8G77rZt.jpg

A national hero in the national square. His army defeated the Turks and kicked them out for good.
NEozyqD.jpg

There's a saying "Welcome to Albania. Your car is already here." On my previous trip I found out not only my car but also my tax.
wlGIO8g.jpg

@heidih, it's not dyed. Iran is the world biggest producer of pistachios and Iranian red cultivars are pretty much only grown in Iran. FYI, ancient Greeks called Iranian "pistachio eaters".

Re progress and changes. Young Albanians don't care about old days and old ways. They just want to be like the West. 1. To have what Greece has: receive (free) unlimited free EU money, to be one everyone's bucket list. Old people suffered so much under communism they just want to move on. The market stallholders looked my my photos and they all had sad smiles. 

BonVivant

BonVivant

8mUieME.jpg

IlZpGWB.jpg

n2g07RG.jpg

jiVfTWe.jpg

7kGHvX9.jpg

z8gIWzq.jpg

T907bIq.jpg

T4vI6iA.jpg

HEShENT.jpg

Ln3mrC4.jpg

Figs and other dried fruits look good but nothing had price on it and I don't like bargaining..
D2iLU0I.jpg

gtfTkiA.jpg

Z5hjKYA.jpg

BZfTRKg.jpg

ADxp8S5.jpg

RXAFrJ8.jpg

euIu0PT.jpg

QYkqZdF.jpg

lFzksf7.jpg

wfERiHw.jpg

25OwGRi.jpg

oWsZfwK.jpg

2Dms9xM.jpg

8G77rZt.jpg

NEozyqD.jpg

wlGIO8g.jpg

@heidih, it's not dyed. Iran is the world biggest producer of pistachios and Iranian red cultivars are pretty much only grown in Iran. FYI, ancient Greeks called Iranian "pistachio eaters".

Re progress and changes. Young Albanians don't care about old days and old ways. They just want to be like the West. 1. To have what Greece has: receive (free) unlimited free EU money, to be one everyone's bucket list. Old people suffered so much under communism they just want to move on. The market stallholders looked my my photos and they all had sad smiles. 

BonVivant

BonVivant

8mUieME.jpg

Anyway, I would have like so much to see this man again. He already noticed me making photos of him and when I was in front of his "stall" he posed for me like this. He was so delighted when I showed him this photo on the camera screen. I had wanted to return to Albania sooner but 7 years are much too late.
IlZpGWB.jpg

n2g07RG.jpg

jiVfTWe.jpg

7kGHvX9.jpg

z8gIWzq.jpg

T907bIq.jpg

T4vI6iA.jpg

HEShENT.jpg

Ln3mrC4.jpg

Figs and other dried fruits look good but nothing had price on it and I don't like bargaining..
D2iLU0I.jpg

gtfTkiA.jpg

Z5hjKYA.jpg

BZfTRKg.jpg

ADxp8S5.jpg

RXAFrJ8.jpg

euIu0PT.jpg

QYkqZdF.jpg

lFzksf7.jpg

wfERiHw.jpg

25OwGRi.jpg

oWsZfwK.jpg

2Dms9xM.jpg

8G77rZt.jpg

NEozyqD.jpg

wlGIO8g.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

8mUieME.jpg

Btw, Albanians are curious. Takes no time for them to notice me whilst I'm totally focused on making photos. They look at me the whole time, wander slowly towards me and next thing you know they are very close. Then when I show them the photos and translated texts they become even more curious, disscussing loudy amongst themselves, asking passersby if they could help. I noticed this on my previously trip how kind and helpful Albanians were. Such a rare thing in this world nowadays.

Anyway, I would have like so much to see this man again. He already noticed me making photos of him and when I was in front of his "stall" he posed for me like this. He was so delighted when I showed him this photo on the camera screen. I had wanted to return to Albania sooner but 7 years are much too late.
IlZpGWB.jpg

n2g07RG.jpg

jiVfTWe.jpg

7kGHvX9.jpg

z8gIWzq.jpg

T907bIq.jpg

T4vI6iA.jpg

HEShENT.jpg

Ln3mrC4.jpg

D2iLU0I.jpg

gtfTkiA.jpg

Z5hjKYA.jpg

BZfTRKg.jpg

ADxp8S5.jpg

RXAFrJ8.jpg

euIu0PT.jpg

QYkqZdF.jpg

lFzksf7.jpg

wfERiHw.jpg

25OwGRi.jpg

oWsZfwK.jpg

2Dms9xM.jpg

8G77rZt.jpg

NEozyqD.jpg

wlGIO8g.jpg