• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Anova Precision Oven: What did you make?

JasonsCookingAdventures

ive read in more than one place from ' food scientists ' [sic]

that if you removed the fat from different meats , you could no longer

tell what kind of meat it was .  this was ref'd via the web , so I was skeptical 

fat does have species specific flavor :  Lamb is not beef etc.

then I realized Pork  ( the ' new white meat ' )   had white meat  ( loin )

and darkmeat : the tip of the loin near the shoulder.  they taste very very different.

the the F.S'ers would just say the dark meat had intramuscular fat that could not be removed.

or some such thing .   

I agree on Wagyu  : its not for me.

so fat does have flavor and so does meat.

• Like 1

Some fat is innately flavorful and some is less so, but many flavor compounds are fat-soluble (not water-soluble) and therefore have little presence in a dish that's very low in fat.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Using the old method (joule), I am just finishing a sous vide of duck legs at 160°F for 28 hours. I was going to finish in the Anova oven but it's busy with dinner for tomorrow. Am I now like @JoNorvelleWalker and and I need TWO Anova ovens? 🤣 🤣

I have just started a cowboy version of an Anova recipe for sous vide corned beef which is 24 hours at 155°F in the Anova oven. This meat is not bagged. I removed a lot of the fat cap before starting. There is 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup boiled apple cider (from King Arthur), a splash of maple syrup, 2 medium onions, 2 carrots, 1 apple, some butcher-supplied spice packet, about a cup of water, and the corned beef.

I want to see what this tastes like tomorrow. 

(My notes for corned beef have 135°F for 60 hours with Joule.)
  • Like 3

Update from yesterday's sous vide.

I didn't use the automatic recipe because I'm learning to understand this machine. The recipe calls for inserting the probe into the corned beef (which I thought was wierd) and I set the probe temperature to 155°F 100% steam. Naturally the oven turned itself off last night (fortunately, before I went to bed).

Reset the temp to 155°F without the probe, so the total time is about 24 hours.

Just removed from the oven because I'm trying to get ready for an outdoor wine/dinner party.

There is over 1/4" water (1 cup) at the bottom of the oven. Do you have any special tricks for getting rid of this? (Or, I will wait until it cools down and remove with sponge).

Notes:

- Definitely more chewy than after 60 hours. Was expecting meat to have more flavour.

- The vegetables aren't raw, but they almost look like it. Am broiling in 450°F oven with top and rear elements on. Sous vide is wrapped in tin foil. Ordinary oven won't go that low. Where to keep it?

- Cooking juices not reduced. Reducing now on stovetop.

Edited by TdeV
Update measurements (log)

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Update from yesterday's sous vide.

I didn't use the automatic recipe because I'm learning to understand this machine. The recipe calls for inserting the probe into the corned beef (which I thought was wierd) and I set the probe temperature to 155°F 100% steam. Naturally the oven turned itself off last night (fortunately, before I went to bed).

Reset the temp to 155°F without the probe, so the total time is about 24 hours.

Just removed from the oven because I'm trying to get ready for an outdoor wine/dinner party.

There is over 1/4" water (1 cup) at the bottom of the oven. Do you have any special tricks for getting rid of this? (Or, I will wait until it cools down and remove with sponge).

Notes:

- Definitely more chewy than after 60 hours. Was expecting meat to have more flavour.

- The vegetables aren't raw, but they almost look like it. Am broiling in 450°F oven with top and rear elements on. Sous vide is wrapped in tin foil. Ordinary oven won't go that low. Where to keep it?

- Cooking juices not reduced. Reducing now on stovetop.

For the water I'd use a sponge but I might be tempted to turn the oven on and crack the door.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Opinion:

- Cooking process needs refinement.

Results:

- Corned beef was okay

- Cooking vegetables (carrots) seemed raw after 24 hour cook. Convection oven dried out the surface, cooked more and browned the veg. Tasted fabulous! (Of course the veg was covered in fat)

- Eaten with boiled potatoes

- Cooking water reduced, honey and cornstarch added. Very tasty.

So, okay. Sorry no photos.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My neighbour has just gifted me some Cornish game hens (with a lemon, fresh rosemary and garlic).

I'm interested in doing these in the steam oven. Can you help @Kim Shook @Shelby @JoNorvelleWalker @Okanagancook  @gfweb ????

Over here, @lindag mentioned roasting for 40 min. Seems like a long time, but I suppose the steam would prevent it from drying out. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TdeV said:

My neighbour has just gifted me some Cornish game hens (with a lemon, fresh rosemary and garlic).

I'm interested in doing these in the steam oven. Can you help @Kim Shook @Shelby @JoNorvelleWalker @Okanagancook  @gfweb ????

Yep, I got you :)

Hank is go to guy

Quail is similar to  game hens.  Heat up the CSO for at least a half hour on regular convention bake which for mine is 450f. Rub hens with butter and salt and pepper if you wish--or you could brine them for no longer than 4 hours.   After, put the hens on the rack on top of the tray.  Stuff with the lemon, rosemary and garlic.   I keep it on convection and set time for 10 mins. depending on how big they are you might need longer... Use thermapen to check internal temp.  When it's 150 or so (not over 160)  pull them out and let them rest ...they will get to 160f while resting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Not sure I've cooked Cornish game hens since I got my APO.  However this would be my take:  halve the hens and remove the backbones.  Rub with garlic and salt.  Dry in the refrigerator on a rack for several hours.*

Refer to the cooking instructions for aji amarillo marinated chicken thighs from the anova app or website.  The settings are sous vide off, temperature 375F, steam 20%, heat top and rear elements.  Probe target temperature 165F -- or your desired doneness (personally I distain raw chicken.)

Cover game hen halves with sprigs of rosemary.  Roast on middle shelf, still on rack.  Meanwhile halve and juice kind neighbor's lemon, make @Splificator's  Mississippi punch.  Recipe from !Imbibe second edition (p 100).

By the time, if ever, you remember dinner the chicken should be done.

*I'd employ the Vesta blast chiller personally.  Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JoNorvelleWalker's recipe. Begun by liberally sprinkling salt, pepper + garlic onto the hen, then into the fridge, for about 7 hours. APO set manually, with probe set to 162°F. Still, I got a message on my phone that the APO oven had come to temperature. Then I got a message that the probe had reached 0°F, which I thought was odd, but assumed that meant that the APO was just starting to pay attention to the thermometer. Actually, I now think that was the APO saying it was done. So, too well done (about 180°F). Quite tasty.

Could the lack of browning be due to the surface of the meat being very dry?

IMG_2928_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.728c887e88c5137966eee6a92426dcdc.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TdeV said:

@JoNorvelleWalker's recipe. Begun by liberally sprinkling salt, pepper + garlic onto the hen, then into the fridge, for about 7 hours. APO set manually, with probe set to 162°F. Still, I got a message on my phone that the APO oven had come to temperature. Then I got a message that the probe had reached 0°F, which I thought was odd, but assumed that meant that the APO was just starting to pay attention to the thermometer. Actually, I now think that was the APO saying it was done. So, too well done (about 180°F). Quite tasty.

Could the lack of browning be due to the surface of the meat being very dry?

IMG_2928_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.728c887e88c5137966eee6a92426dcdc.jpg

Was it middle shelf?

The app recipe for chicken suggests probing it until 145 or so then brushing with oil and then top element @ 482 F.

I've been busy but a few days (a week?) ago I did a chicken the way the app suggested and it turned out perfect, well browned and juicy. The only downside was the amount of smoke produced - perhaps I was too generous with the oil?

p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palo said:

The app recipe for chicken suggests probing it until 145 or so then brushing with oil and then top element @ 482 F.

I've been busy but a few days (a week?) ago I did a chicken the way the app suggested and it turned out perfect, well browned and juicy. The only downside was the amount of smoke produced - perhaps I was too generous with the oil?

p

I've used this method a couple times and found the skin well browned but the meat I could best describe as strange.  My mental image of canned chicken.

Yesterday we had baked fish with sweet potatoes, fresh mayonnaise, and asparagus. I worked with this recipe from steamandbake.

The sweet potatoes were cut and soaked in salty water so they wouldn't brown, dried off, tossed in couple tablespoons oil (in a plastic bag), laid out on the Anova sheet pan, dusted with some semolina, garlic cloves and thyme. The Anova pan is quite thin and buckled mid-cook. Anyone have a good replacement?

IMG_2951_smaller.thumb.jpg.3fc4173fa0284d522e264c067d2292bf.jpg

This was my second try at homemade mayonnaise, but the first time with the Bamix using the small container (which might be too small). Ingredients: jumbo egg, freshly ground black mustard seed, <tsp salt, white wine vinegar, canola. Tasted salty to me when just made.

But, I have to tell you, HOT sweet potato fries dipped in fresh mayonnaise is absolutely divine! 😋 😋

The fish was lemon flounder fillet, dried and placed on a 1/4 sheet USA pan which did not buckle.

Dressing (none leftover) was 100g panko, 30 g chopped raw cashew, zest from one Meyer lemon, freshly ground pepper, enough olive oil to make the crumbs stick together.

IMG_2948_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.dbfa28690cf418a8c35fa0a6daec86de.jpg

Served with the Meyer lemon and asparagus. With a little practise this would be a very fast meal. And tasty.

IMG_2954_croppedSm.thumb.jpg.edbc93b363f6e22992b70c1c5162a92a.jpg

Edited by TdeV
Grammar (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

the usa pans are great but as a note shouldn't be used above 400F, assuming you get one of the ones with the silicone nonstick treatment. some of their heavier pans can go up to 450, but i have noticed thermal warping above 400, before.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Thanks 1