• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Anova Precision Oven: What did you make?

JasonsCookingAdventures

2 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I seared zucchini in cast iron pan on one side, cooked at 325 100% steam for 10 minutes.  Placed fish on top for 7 minutes.  

F0C98CD7-2D70-4797-AD75-74805E7D682D.thumb.jpeg.fc5ac9bda03a654a443d9ffd4d70fe73.jpeg

Seared with APO or stovetop?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

58 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I doubt those temperatures will pasteurize your steak.

Do you think I'm being overly paranoid about surface bacteria entering the steak through the thermometer puncture? Compared to mechanical tenderization, it's a whole lot less holes..... I typically sous vide at 131 which is a pasteurization temperature but for a really long time (much longer than I sous vide for). I tend not to worry about pasteurization as I know the bacteria on the surface will be killed with a good sear. But I don't normally puncture a hole in my steak prior to sous viding it....

I wonder if this is an unintended consequence of "Express Sous Vide" that wasn't thought about? Would be fine for chicken where you cook it at a temp and long enough for pasteurization; however steak isn't typically cooked to pasteurization because it's assumed that'll be taken care of during the sear.... 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

33 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

There's no need to pasteurize tender proteins that are going to be served immediately. Those temps/doneness-levels seem off to me. 127F for medium? No no no...

Me too. Seems Anova agrees with me as they are checking the recipe and thanked me for the feedback. 

I've got two rib eyes cooking right now at 129f (what I consider medium rare). Didn't do the probe as I didn't want to puncture my food at these low temperatures due to surface bacteria not getting heated once it's brought to the inside. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

10 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Me too. Seems Anova agrees with me as they are checking the recipe and thanked me for the feedback. 

I've got two rib eyes cooking right now at 129f (what I consider medium rare). Didn't do the probe as I didn't want to puncture my food at these low temperatures due to surface bacteria not getting heated once it's brought to the inside. 

I don't think that puncture is a worry with short cooking times and immediate serving. Bugs won't have time to grow much.

Regarding introducing pathogens by inserting a probe... you could sear first, and also sanitize the probe before inserting it (e.g. with an alcohol wipe). It wouldn't be the same as pasteurizing but is a reasonable precaution.

6 hours ago, Robin G said:

Regarding introducing pathogens by inserting a probe... you could sear first, and also sanitize the probe before inserting it (e.g. with an alcohol wipe). It wouldn't be the same as pasteurizing but is a reasonable precaution.

I was thinking of that. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out in the end... didn’t think about the sanitizing the probe itself. I imagine that as long as it was cleaned since last use, any bacteria in introducing wouldn’t be a large enough inoculation. Can never be too careful though. 

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

33 minutes ago, Robin G said:

That's a really lovely photo!

I'd agree if it weren't for the cauliflower.

Does anyone else find it odd that APO recipes are disappearing?  First I noticed was the toast.  Then the rolled oats.  Could it be that someone is testing and some of the recipes don't work?  I, for one, found the bean recipe a dud.

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd agree if it weren't for the cauliflower.

It's a beautiful portrait of a biological specimen with interesting geometry and nicely contrasting colors. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steamed and glazed salmon tonight. APO recipe thought the salmon would reach 130 core temperature when set at 130 for 17 minutes. Grossly under estimated. If I were to remake this, I'd stop at around 120 and expect to reach up to 130 during the high heat sessions... 

steamed salmon .jpg

• Like 4

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

7 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Steamed and glazed salmon tonight. APO recipe thought the salmon would reach 130 core temperature when set at 130 for 17 minutes. Grossly under estimated. If I were to remake this, I'd stop at around 120 and expect to reach up to 130 during the high heat sessions... 

steamed salmon .jpg

So it was over-cooked?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

So it was over-cooked?

Maybe slightly. Didn't have the probe in it during the final cooks so I can't say for sure. I enjoyed it. 

I pulled mine out at around 126 but that took 90 minutes to achieve. Then you fire the oven up to 400 and give it several rounds of quick bakes and reglazing. Nothing wrong with the oven itself but the recipe is faulty and I didn't notice it until later on. 

• Thanks 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

5 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Maybe slightly. Didn't have the probe in it during the final cooks so I can't say for sure. I enjoyed it. 

I pulled mine out at around 126 but that took 90 minutes to achieve. Then you fire the oven up to 400 and give it several rounds of quick bakes and reglazing. Nothing wrong with the oven itself but the recipe is faulty and I didn't notice it until later on. 

That's much slower than water bath sous vide.  I'm happy with the steam baked results from the CSO. I'll do something like 8 minutes at 325/steam and it'll be about 115F in the center when I pull it to rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That's much slower than water bath sous vide.  I'm happy with the steam baked results from the CSO. I'll do something like 8 minutes at 325/steam and it'll be about 115F in the center when I pull it to rest.

I think you could pull after 17 minutes. The rest of the baking will get you to the ideal temperature. Or you could just set the temp to slightly above 135 and pull a sous vide express. Just need to adjust to the new cooking techniques. 

I'll be writing a thorough review that I hope to have published this weekend. Both the cons and pros. There's a number of things in both categories, but overall I believe it's outweighed by the pros... will find out if this remains to be true after doing a chicken and some bread this weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

Tried more settings, still no flickering.  Sorry, I can't reproduce it.

Meanwhile I am cooking short ribs.  I rubbed with Penzeys Ozark seasoning and a few drops of liquid smoke.  Pre-seared at 250C, top and rear elements, no steam, 4 minutes.  Nice sear.  This thing gets hot.

When it cools down I'll do 73C* for some hours.  Depends when I get hungry.

*163.4F suggested by anova.

• Like 4

I made a plain popover in the style of @curls from the CSO thread, using bacon fat. 400F (205C) for 22 min, rear element, fan high, no steam. This hernia formed on the side facing the fan. Maybe reducing the fan speed would produce a better form? Or perhaps some steam. Anybody have advice on this?

It tasted fine regardless, with a bit of butter. :D

popover.thumb.jpg.3a810e6f68d5db56431bf560ef81f542.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Robin G said:

I made a plain popover in the style of @curls from the CSO thread, using bacon fat. 400F (205C) for 22 min, rear element, fan high, no steam. This hernia formed on the side facing the fan. Maybe reducing the fan speed would produce a better form? Or perhaps some steam. Anybody have advice on this?

It tasted fine regardless, with a bit of butter. :D

popover.thumb.jpg.3a810e6f68d5db56431bf560ef81f542.jpg

When using the rear element fan speed is locked on high.  I would try using the bottom element, no fan, no steam.

• Thanks 1