• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with the Anova Precision Oven: What did you make?

JasonsCookingAdventures

Host's note: this topic has been split from the original topic, Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting and "Should I Buy One?"

Cooking comments so far.

Made broccoli last night. I tried using the numbers in my spreadsheet from Miele. Miele's book says "an al dente or medium result is assumed with the durations quoted." Well, I guess we don't like al dente broccoli. Interestingly, the V-Zug book recommends 15 minutes. Tried it at 15 mintues, and it was perfect. Just a little difference in time...

Made steak. Worked with the probe. I'd recommend putting it right on the rack instead of a perforated pan. The perforated pan we used had small enough holes that some of the steak fat plugged the holes. A large amount of liquid did collect in the pan underneath. If I were to do it again, I'd plan more ahead and do my wife's to medium well, reduce the temp, keep her steak in there, and do mine at a lower temp. Benefit of sous vide is that hers can stay in there and not get ruined.

For toast, the bottom burner is not exposed so the bottom of the bread is not browning like the top. A decent solution is probably to flip the bread part way through, but in the mean time I'll be having toasted, but not browned bread while I continue to work on it and while awaiting Anova's own guidelines. I have some more ideas to test, but not ready to do them today.

Help wanted:

Can someone figure out how to select rear + top burner from the machine directly like you can do on the app?

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note after topic split (log)
  • Like 4

My first cook was a sweet potato, 135C for three hours.  Perfect as I would expect.

What alarmed me was during preheat smoke poured out of the bottom of the oven.  Before first use one is supposed to burn off the protective coating on the elements.  I thought I had done this.  Apparently I had missed the bottom element.  My current thinking is it is much easier to set the the oven with the app than with the front panel display.

• Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My first cook was a sweet potato, 135C for three hours.  Perfect as I would expect.

Please tell me you cook in Fahrenheit usually

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Please tell me you cook in Fahrenheit usually

More in Celsius these days.  And all my culinary thermometers are set to Celsius.  Room temperature though I can only think in Fahrenheit.

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

More in Celsius these days.  And all my culinary thermometers are set to Celsius.  Room temperature though I can only think in Fahrenheit.

Have you noticed that your food is less tasty?

Centigrade is for fevers and gas equations.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Have you noticed that your food is less tasty?

Centigrade is for fevers and gas equations.

My fever thermometer is also set to Celsius.  That way if I'm sick I'll have a lower temperature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

back when I was

a student in Trade School

mid-west North  , very windy city , on the S.Side

they used C to evaluate the Material

then when I moved on to

Scut-Dog and Slave ( myself ) institutions 

directly in BOS

they did the same thing.

so  F for the CSO etc

C  for , well , you know 

• Like 1

This morning I reheated fried rice at 350 degrees, 100% steam, rear heater for 15 minutes and it was perfect.  I whisked two extra eggs and cooked them along the rice over the past 8 minutes.  Eggs were over cooked, 4 minutes should be good enough.  Over cooked eggs are ok in fried rice.

5E3837FB-44AA-466B-8C1B-8A8CE7F3779B.thumb.jpeg.0b731a11b62721352d33f5025aac41a3.jpeg

60A5FE91-C063-4B3A-9E63-04FA76E6F5E2.thumb.jpeg.18a75bb1f835e9677ef6339a7d96f3f2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently steaming two chicken breasts at 70C.  The plan is to brown one for dinner.  I had wanted mashed potatoes but my back is out* and the prospect of mashed potatoes is more than I can face.  Baked potato is the best that I can do.

Anova suffers from name recognition.  I was telling my daughter in law about the APO.  She had not heard of the company.  I explained the oven was new but they were better known for their circulators.  Later I was showing her the oven in my kitchen.  That time my son informed her "We have an anova, it's the thing we use for sous vide."

*possibly having to do with lifting a certain oven.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Robin G said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, so sorry about your back. I will take naproxen before I pick mine up and hope to avoid your fate.

Better if you have someone like Kenji to help you.

A nice touch... when the oven is set to Celsius, the app recipes display temperature in Celsius.  It appears the recipes were developed in Celsius and translated to Fahrenheit.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm currently steaming two chicken breasts at 70C.  The plan is to brown one for dinner.  I had wanted mashed potatoes but my back is out* and the prospect of mashed potatoes is more than I can face.  Baked potato is the best that I can do.

Anova suffers from name recognition.  I was telling my daughter in law about the APO.  She had not heard of the company.  I explained the oven was new but they were better known for their circulators.  Later I was showing her the oven in my kitchen.  That time my son informed her "We have an anova, it's the thing we use for sous vide."

*possibly having to do with lifting a certain oven.

Have you ever started, because I can't find it, the "What do Hoarders Cook While Reading eGullet" topic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Plus 1 for reheating.  I had noodles and pork left over from lunch yesterday.  I tried 90C, 100% steam, sorry I did not note the time.  Perfectly reheated.

• Like 2

First bread in the APO.  I used Modernist Bread temperature and timings for a combi oven.  Again I am puzzled that the water level in the tank does not noticeably go down.  I must say the loaf is noisier than from the CSO.

• Delicious 1

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

First bread in the APO.  I used Modernist Bread temperature and timings for a combi oven.  Again I am puzzled that the water level in the tank does not noticeably go down.  I must say the loaf is noisier than from the CSO.

Noisier?

23 minutes ago, Sartain said:

Maybe a more crunchy crust?

Indeed.

Tonight's loaf was a kilogram boule but the actual measured finished weight was 881.3 g.  I'm wondering now if I could even bake a miche!  I suspect I could!  Googling around I see Zingerman's bakery charges $28 for their four pound miche.*

*plus $43.99 for overnight delivery.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

In the app these are the recommended temperatures for steak. I know that steak is sterile inside so as long as I seat the outside I should be fine. However, this is for the sous vide express option... so I risk contamination of the inside the steak but poking it with a probe? Similar to mechanical tenderization? Will these temperatures sterilize my steak in the 30 minute estimate?  Seems risky but I don’t have pasteurization times and temps memorized for this low of a temp. 

D64F0CD0-AFB6-4993-93F7-EC2565ACAB97.jpeg

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

12 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

In the app these are the recommended temperatures for steak. I know that steak is sterile inside so as long as I seat the outside I should be fine. However, this is for the sous vide express option... so I risk contamination of the inside the steak but poking it with a probe? Similar to mechanical tenderization? Will these temperatures sterilize my steak in the 30 minute estimate?  Seems risky but I don’t have pasteurization times and temps memorized for this low of a temp. 

D64F0CD0-AFB6-4993-93F7-EC2565ACAB97.jpeg

I doubt those temperatures will pasteurize your steak.