• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Update measurements

Update from yesterday's sous vide.

I didn't use the automatic recipe because I'm learning to understand this machine. The recipe calls for inserting the probe into the corned beef (which I thought was wierd) and I set the probe temperature to 155°F 100% steam. Naturally the oven turned itself off last night (fortunately, before I went to bed).

Reset the temp to 155°F without the probe, so the total time is about 24 hours.

Just removed from the oven because I'm trying to get ready for an outdoor wine/dinner party.

There is over 1/4" water (1 cup) at the bottom of the oven. Do you have any special tricks for getting rid of this? (Or, I will wait until it cools down and remove with sponge).

Notes:

- Definitely more chewy than after 60 hours. Was expecting meat to have more flavour.

- The vegetables aren't raw, but they almost look like it. Am broiling in 450°F oven with top and rear elements on. Sous vide is wrapped in tin foil. Ordinary oven won't go that low. Where to keep it?

- Cooking juices not reduced. Reducing now on stovetop.

TdeV

TdeV

Update from yesterday's sous vide.

I didn't use the automatic recipe because I'm learning to understand this machine. The recipe calls for inserting the probe into the corned beef (which I thought was wierd) and I set the probe temperature to 155°F 100% steam. Naturally the oven turned itself off last night (fortunately, before I went to bed).

Reset the temp to 155°F without the probe, so the total time is about 24 hours.

Just removed from the oven because I'm trying to get ready for an outdoor wine/dinner party.

There is over 1/4" water at the bottom of the oven. Do you have any special tricks for getting rid of this? (Or, I will wait until it cools down and remove with sponge).

Notes:

- Definitely more chewy than after 60 hours. Was expecting meat to have more flavour.

- The vegetables aren't raw, but they almost look like it.

- Cooking juices not reduced.