• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Treats that are easy on the teeth

cookingofjoy

So maybe kind of an odd request, but my mil (86) loved peanut brittle, but recently has been having a lot of trouble with her teeth. I obviously do not want her to break a tooth enjoying a treat, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a soft treat that would have a similar flavor. I thought caramels could have a somewhat similar kind of flavor, but I don't think they would be much friendlier to her teeth. The closest I can think of now is a caramel fondant to cover a soft sugar cookie. I'd love any suggestions! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cookingofjoy said:

So maybe kind of an odd request, but my mil (86) loved peanut brittle, but recently has been having a lot of trouble with her teeth. I obviously do not want her to break a tooth enjoying a treat, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a soft treat that would have a similar flavor. I thought caramels could have a somewhat similar kind of flavor, but I don't think they would be much friendlier to her teeth. The closest I can think of now is a caramel fondant to cover a soft sugar cookie. I'd love any suggestions! 

Do what I do:  find a kind dentist that accepts payments over time.  Either do without or go whole hog.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I Googled "peanut brittle easy on teeth recipe" and there are a number of recipes posted there.  That might be a starting point for your search.  Good of you to be so caring about your mil.  :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do what I do:  find a kind dentist that accepts payments over time.  Either do without or go whole hog.

Agree - dental work is expensive. As a low brow easy experiemtn I;d try spreading chunky peanut butter on a lightly weet cook woth a caramelized flavor like Biscoff. My suoermarket has been featuring them in little snack packs last several months. See if her itch is satisfied. Their cookie butter also an idea.  https://www.shopbiscoff.com/biscoff-cookie-butter?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Generally that's my feeling - I want my treats to be treats. 

The cookie butter and the browned butter pb cookies are great ideas!  

When I'd looked I'd found "soft" peanut brittle, but that seemed to be like angel food candy with peanuts. I did find some make pralines with peanuts, which I didn't think of at all since I associate pralines with pecans,  and I'm thinking I'll try that, too.

If she can handle the nuts, you could consider making a super thin brittle, the kind you pull and stretch and turn so the candy in between the nuts is almost paper thin. It will pretty much melt in your mouth. Needs to be kept very dry and of course it’s extremely fragile so it wouldn’t be a good candidate for shipping. It’s the way I like to make my brittle. 

I've been making this for years for Passover neighbors. It is tender with a caramel layer. I'm not a baker but this is fool-proof. Addicting and so simple. Toffee Matzo Brittle

I make two trays and add pecans, toasted coconut, everything bagel with Korean chili flake, --in 1/3'rd sections. 

One addition I do is to add the chocolate chips and place back in the hot oven for 30 seconds to melt a bit better. Can add or leave out nuts or chocolate. 

The caramel is as tender as a saltine. And can be used in place of Matzo. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

I've been making this for years for Passover neighbors. It is tender with a caramel layer. I'm not a baker but this is fool-proof. Addicting and so simple. Toffee Matzo Brittle

I make two trays and add pecans, toasted coconut, everything bagel with Korean chili flake, --in 1/3'rd sections. 

One addition I do is to add the chocolate chips and place back in the hot oven for 30 seconds to melt a bit better. Can add or leave out nuts or chocolate. 

The caramel is as tender as a saltine. And can be used in place of Matzo. 

*looking at my tin of saltines*

• Haha 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

If she can handle the nuts, you could consider making a super thin brittle, the kind you pull and stretch and turn so the candy in between the nuts is almost paper thin

I was thinking something similar, like a buttercrunch. A very thin toffee with chocolate on both sides and nuts. 

I was also thinking of something like an almond roca, but not a solid toffee piece in the center. Like if you made a toffee, crushed it to small bits, mixed it into chocolate, then cut it into the desired sized pieces. You could also add some neutral oil to the chocolate to make it a little easier to bite at room temp. 

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Agree - dental work is expensive. As a low brow easy experiemtn I;d try spreading chunky peanut butter on a lightly weet cook woth a caramelized flavor like Biscoff. My suoermarket has been featuring them in little snack packs last several months. See if her itch is satisfied. Their cookie butter also an idea.  https://www.shopbiscoff.com/biscoff-cookie-butter?

Spread peanut butter on a lightly wet cook? Ooh, kinky. I like it.

• Delicious 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

Spread peanut butter on a lightly wet cook? Ooh, kinky. I like it.

Ya know I am handicapped. SWEET COOKIE. My fingers do not work as I would like. As to your take - peanut butter does not spread well on humans-  esp non-hydrogenated brands 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Ya know I am handicapped. SWEET COOKIE. My fingers do not work as I would like. As to your take - peanut butter does not spread well on humans-  esp non-hydrogenated brands 

I like peanut butter and I'd sure love to try.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Look at a recipe for microwave peanut brittle. The addition of baking soda at the end makes it foamy, and it cools into an easy-to-bite, non-sticky treat.

I like this recipe.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com