• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Food Magazines

fresh_a

Yes, I pick it up whenever I see it, but I don't have a subscription. It's pretty good for what it is, I quite enjoy it. You'll never find anything revolutionary about wine in there, but you'll get good in-depth profiles on Canadian wines and Canadian wine personalities, if you like that sort of thing. And yes, they are pretty Niagara-centric, which is to be expected.

As per the article you're talking about, I think that's Jim Hedges who's experimenting with the barrels, which I'm sure the Niagara producers are quite happy about trying since on average, their French oak barrels run them around $1,000 each and the U.S. oak about $500. It might provide the smaller wineries a good opportunity to experiment without breaking the bank.

• 1 year later...
This would be the wrong address.  Try Liquour Control Board Ontario.  The magazine is  destributed seasonally, Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, with issues for holidays.  It is available at all LCBO outlets, for free, with the purchase of alcohol or wine.

I don't think you have to make a purchase. Just walk in and take one, and the LCBO will be grateful that all those high priced glossy ads are going out once more!

Canadian food mag writers and publishers are not so happy about 'Food and Drink'

as it takes valuable ads away from other publications. Without ads, any new magazine is doomed. The major wine and liquor concerns have to adverstise in 'Food and Drink'. If they refuse, they may lose out on shelf space at the LCBO.

It's a vicious circle, and a byproduct of our monopoly alcohol control board.

here on vancouver island there's an excellent local-based food magazine called EAT - check out the website at www.eatmagazine.ca. topics cover food & wine all over bc and with some dispatches from further afar.

• 2 weeks later...

I took out a subscription to Flavours magazine after seeing it in a wine store in Alberta - but apparently they have started to give it away for free at the BC liquor stores. My luck - I pay for what others get for free. But I haven't see a copy since before Christmas so they might have gone under already.

Cheers,

Karole

And do they count if they're Toronto/Southern Ontario-centric?

no :raz:

I took out a subscription to Flavours magazine after seeing it in a wine store in Alberta - but apparently they have started to give it away for free at the BC liquor stores. My luck - I pay for what others get for free. But I haven't see a copy since before Christmas so they might have gone under already.

I still haven't been able to find a copy... I thought it was actually published here (I may be wrong) but can't seem to find it :angry:

I took out a subscription to Flavours magazine after seeing it in a wine store in Alberta - but apparently they have started to give it away for free at the BC liquor stores. My luck - I pay for what others get for free. ..

LOL...welcome to the club...I just mailed my cheque to get copies of EAT from Victoria...

If so, then I'd like to shamelesly plug Gremolata

I just looked at your site and it's great! Good luck with it (and if you ever need any kosher/jewish writing, let me know :wink: )

• 3 weeks later...
We pick it up for free here in Winnipeg.

Can you tell me where? I've been looking for it and can't find it ... although if you're picking it up free here, could be it's right under my nose and I keep missing it :hmmm:

Edited by Pam R (log)

I usually pick up my copy at the Liquor Mart at City Place or Northgate. They always have lots of copies.

And I pick up my copy of Ciao at Gimli Fish.

Now I need to check to see if there is a forum just for cookbooks.

Can you tell me where? I've been looking for it and can't find it ... although if you're picking it up free here, could be it's right under my nose and I keep missing it :hmmm:

I usually pick up my copy at the Liquor Mart at City Place or Northgate.  They always have lots of copies.

And I pick up my copy of Ciao at Gimli Fish.

Now I need to check to see if there is a forum just for cookbooks.

Nice to see another Winnipeger here! There are so few...I'll be back in YWG for the summer--I'm looking forward to eating at my favourite places! (Bistro Dansk, Kum Koon, bubble tea from Asia City, etc).

There's no cookbook forum, but there are a lot of threads on cookbooks out there--you might also want to take a look at the Site Tips, User Guides, Netiquette forum for tips on how to post--particularly how to use quotations. For some reason your quotations are coming up as your own words--I think perhaps some of the tags are being deleted (they need to stay in if you're quoting).

Nice to see another Winnipeger here! There are so few...I'll be back in YWG for the summer--I'm looking forward to eating at my favourite places! (Bistro Dansk, Kum Koon, bubble tea from Asia City, etc).

There's no cookbook forum, but there are a lot of threads on cookbooks out there--you might also want to take a look at the Site Tips, User Guides, Netiquette forum for tips on how to post--particularly how to use quotations. For some reason your quotations are coming up as your own words--I think perhaps some of the tags are being deleted (they need to stay in if you're quoting).

Thanks for the tip! I will check out the Site Tips, User Guides, Netiquette forum when I have some free time.

You'll see some interesting changes when you come back this summer.

Hu's on First is also neat place to eat at too. Similar to PF Chang in the US. And you must go to Alycia's for their borscht and perogies!!

Does Chatelaine count? Not strictly a food magazine, but they do cover food and recipes.

Online edition in both English and French Here:

Eliahu Yeshua

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

- Alice May Brock

• 2 weeks later...

Well, according to a well-respected Canadian food writer -- whose name shall be left out in case some people decide to lynch -- there are no good Canadian food magazines because those that started could never compete with American quality. She points out that Australia -- a small country -- is able to support dozens of fine publications because they are in a different climate/seasonal system than any big competitors. In Canada, there are just too many excellent American magazines right next door, and who wants to pay the same price for second-rate product?

President's Choice used to publish an excellent magazine, but it was a real money-loser for Loblaws. They did it to support their brand and for the prestige of being the one and only good food magazine, but at some point, if the Canucks won't even buy enough to help you break even, why bother? It's not as though PC needed the help...

Canadians complain about not having enough Canadian Content, but at the end of the day, everyone wants good value for the money.