• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Food Magazines

fresh_a

There must be some excellent Canadian food magazines out there... Can anyone help me out? French and English is OK.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

You're kidding, right? There are no Canadian food magazines to speak of. Just the food sections of magazines like Canadian Living, Elm St. etc. President's Choice used to put out a half-decent magazine put it is no more.

A Canadian food magazine? 'Tis greatly to be wished for.

There are several Canadian magazines with significant food content. They're not on the scale of Bon Appetit or Gourmet (the population can't support that) but they're out there. In most cities, there is some good food content in Where. In Winnipeg, Ciao is quite good. The LCBO publication, Food & Drink if I remember correctly, is no joke. And of course there are the newspaper food sections and weekend magazine sections, as well as books like Lesley Chesterman's Montreal restaurant guide and John Gilchrist's guide for Calgary and Banff.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In Vancouver we have a sporadically available food mag called City Food. It is published by Rhonda May. I have not seen it in a while but believe it still exists. It is an excelent publication and even though it has advertising they seem to tell it like it is in the industry.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Sounds like a good business idea....

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

A good idea, yes. A good business idea, not likely. Few Canadian magazines are profitable, even big name ones like Saturday Night and Elm St. can't break even.

On a positive note, magazines like Toronto Life have generally good food writing (on restaurants, chefs, trends etc.).

The LCBO publication, Food & Drink if I remember correctly, is no joke.

Sorry if I implied that it was. My mother, who is a *no joke* good cook, made something from it last week.

Heck, I consider a glossy, decenty written food mad a good way to spend alcohol tax maoney!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

When you start this magazine please call it Toronto Food eh. Leave us western seperatist out of it please. Like TSN the Toronto Sports Network. People like me make any attempt to lump all Canadians together impossible. I have more in common with my nieghbors in Seattle (108 miles away) as opposed to my fellow citizens in Toronto (3000 plus miles away). Got to go I have a tee time at the golf course.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 1 month later...
The LCBO publication, Food & Drink if I remember correctly, is no joke.

Sorry if I implied that it was. My mother, who is a *no joke* good cook, made something from it last week.

Heck, I consider a glossy, decenty written food mad a good way to spend alcohol tax maoney!

That's where I got my creme brulee recipe from, that everyone raves over. Unfortunately, it's only published quarterly and you'd better be there when they come out. They go like hotcakes. (where DID that expression come from anyway?) :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

When you start this magazine please call it Toronto Food eh. Leave us western seperatist out of it please. Like TSN the Toronto Sports Network. People like me make any attempt to lump all Canadians together impossible. I have more in common with my nieghbors in Seattle (108 miles away) as opposed to my fellow citizens in Toronto (3000 plus miles away). Got to go I have a tee time at the golf course.

Tee time on the golf course? You had to tell us that while we are in the middle of yet another winter storm. boo hoo.

While you are out there on the golf course I, an Ontarian, will be reading my Food & Drink from LCBO while sipping my Manhatten. It is a win win situation.

I found a Food & Drink website, but with an address in Chicago. Is this still the one?

blog

This would be the wrong address. Try Liquour Control Board Ontario. The magazine is destributed seasonally, Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, with issues for holidays. It is available at all LCBO outlets, for free, with the purchase of alcohol or wine.

• 1 month later...

There is an excellent magazine from Quebec called Flaveurs a bit to hard to find and Quebec centric but the recipes are excellent and the photography excellent.

BTW

Fine Cooking, published in Vermont, could be an honorary Canadian magazine--have you ever noticed the high proportion of letters from Canadians? There's something about the tone that is quite Canadian. The editors seem to go out of their way to avoid glitz and have a marked preference for what works over what's trendy. Of course, if it was published in Canada, the title would be something like "Not Bad Cooking."

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

• 3 months later...

Still noone knows of one?

blog

and this... how can I get a copy?

Food and Drink

blog

About 20 years ago there was a Canadian food magazine called A la Carte. In its infancy, it was a very good magazine (at least I thought so, though I was only in junior high at the time). It was chock full of recipes and information about food (as all food magazines should be) and it leaned more towards the fine dining crowd than the homemaker crowd (not that the two are exclusive). In its later stages, it became more a magazine for advertisements. The publishers found it necessary to increase the number of ads until it seemed the ads outnumbered the food articles. It was a huge disappointment. As a matter of fact, I would liken my feelings on A la Carte to my current feelings on Gourmet magazine, but that's another story. A la Carte died a very early death; I don't think it was around more than 3 years.

We still have some copies around, and perhaps if you're lucky, you'll be able to find some of the early issues around.

I do like Ciao magazine though it is largely a publicity vehicle for restaurants. It's local to Winnipeg, I believe. Every issue has a few recipes from local chefs (both well-known and not-so-well-known) and that, in my opinion, makes it worthwhile reading (it's free, too). One thing I don't like about Ciao is that whenever they give out 'awards', certain restaurants are always amongst the winners. Funny how those restaurants are owned by or affiliated with the owners of the magazine. Coincidence?

rona

I recently received an issue of Pure Canada magazine - very informative with good pics, articles, travel info, etc. Nice paper stock and photography. I don't thinks it's a monthly though.

The Fodors insert in Pure Canada is somewhat controversial:

http://maritimes.indymedia.org/front.php3?...6&group=webcast

• 1 month later...

Someone gave me a subscription to Vines, and my first issue just arrived. It seems to have been around for a while--anyone read it? As the name would suggest, it's mostly about wine, and since it is published in St. Catharines, the emphasis is on Niagara wines.

Haven't gone through it all, but there is one interesting piece about a guy in Hamilton who is having barrels made (in the US) from Canadian oak. He insists that Canadian oak barrels lend a taste to wine that is closer to French barrels than those swaggeringly assertive US oak barrels. Whatever.

There does seem to be some minimal food content as well.