• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CNN Underscored on Sous Vide circulators and vacuum sealers

Jason Perlow

Hey folks, been a while. I've recently published two new articles on CNN Underscored on Sous Vide Circulators and Vacuum Sealers. We were quite surprised by the Sous Vide results.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/best-sous-vide-cooker

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/best-vacuum-sealer

Understand that this is a consumer focused set of articles not super-foodie stuff, but we did look at those products as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

17 minutes ago, palo said:

Looking forward to your updated article covering chamber vacuum sealers

p

We have the ANOVA, waiting on the Vesta and a few others so we have more than a handful of things to look at.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Very cool.  I appreciate these articles; they have helped me immensely when evaluating products for my own use.

For what it's worth, I have the Nesco Deluxe Food VS-12.  It has been one of the most reliable and easiest to use vacuum sealers I have seen.  I understand what the article said about not having a removable tray, but honestly I've never had an issue where I needed one and it's not hard to wipe out.  The thing just works, works really well and feels like it's never going to break.  It can also do pulse vacuum sealing with the external hose which really won me over.

For zip-style bags and containers, I tried the Fresh & Save gear for a while.  I really loved their industrial design and ease of use, but the bags and containers I vacuum sealed kept losing their seal inside the fridge and freezer.  I switched to Luvele's vacuum containers instead; they're a little more expensive, but the vacuum pressure on them is also a lot stronger (thanks in part to the strength of the stainless steel lids) and the overall quality is pretty stellar.

Speaking of Luvele, I heard that they're bringing their vacuum sealer to the US market very soon.  You may want to reach out to them to see if they're willing to spare a unit to include in your testing next year.

Edited by afs
fixed incorrect word, added clarification (log)