• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Cream Cake

CKatCook

I am looking for a tried and true very good Italian Cream Cake. It's for Christmas dinner and I swear, I have combed through my MANY cookbooks and I cannot find a recipe to save my life! I don't want to pull one off the web. The last few cakes I did that to it came up a mess, even with following the recipe exactly.  Heck, at this point I would buy a good cookbook and have it overnighted to me if I knew a good Italian cream cake recipe was in it. HELP!

Blessings, 

Kat

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I have a recipe for Italian  Dream Cream Cake.  It has a cream cheese based frosting (along with some other stuff),  the cake itself has coconut in it.  Toasted coconut can be  sprinkled over the top and chopped toasted pecans pressed into the sides,  it is a triple layer cake.  If this resembles what you are looking for, send me a PM.

5 hours ago, CKatCook said:

I am looking for a tried and true very good Italian Cream Cake. It's for Christmas dinner and I swear, I have combed through my MANY cookbooks and I cannot find a recipe to save my life! I don't want to pull one off the web. The last few cakes I did that to it came up a mess, even with following the recipe exactly.  Heck, at this point I would buy a good cookbook and have it overnighted to me if I knew a good Italian cream cake recipe was in it. HELP!

Blessings, 

Kat

Forgive my ignorance but did you mean Italian cheese cake or Italian cream cake?  If cheese cake, I recommend the recipe from Time Life Foods of the World Italy.  A Roman era recipe made from eggs and ricotta.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Forgive my ignorance but did you mean Italian cheese cake or Italian cream cake?  If cheese cake, I recommend the recipe from Time Life Foods of the World Italy.  A Roman era recipe made from eggs and ricotta.

I meant Italian Cream Cake. Not cheese cake. It's a cake that has pecans, coconut..a frosting that is a buttercream with pecans in it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 5:44 AM, CKatCook said:

Thank you so very kindly!! You saved my Holiday table!! 

@CKatCook, did you have time / energy to take a photo of your result? No worries if you didn't (I wouldn't have either) but it would be fun to see.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown