• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some Highlights of Poultry Blood around the World

3. THE REST OF THE WORLD

Away from Europe and Asia, blood in any form as a food becomes rarer and rarer, especially that of poultry. In fact, I have only found one in all the Americas, other than versions of European and Asian dishes I’ve already mentioned. If anyone knows of any in North or South America, please let us know. Giblet pie, anyone?

Peru has come to the rescue with sengrecita which is fried chicken's blood with Welsh onion, usually served with rice, corn, yucca, or potatoes. It is believed that the ancient Peruvians used llama blood out of necessity. It was simple, nutritious and inexpensive survival food in hard times and high in protein and iron, combatting anaemia in a place where it is not so easy to find these nutrients.

1033px-Sangrecita_con_yuca.thumb.jpg.cc7e3af6a7f61bb1ab923c21b956fe1d.jpg

Sangrecita with Yucca - Image by MiguelAlanCS licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license 

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some Highlights of Poultry Blood around the World

3. THE REST OF THE WORLD

Away from Europe and Asia, blood in any form as a food becomes rarer and rarer, especially that of poultry. In fact, I have only found one in all the Americas, other than versions of European and Asian dishes I’ve already mentioned. If anyone knows of any in North or South America, please let us know.

Peru has come to the rescue with sengrecita which is fried chicken's blood with Welsh onion, usually served with rice, corn, yucca, or potatoes. It is believed that the ancient Peruvians used llama blood out of necessity. It was simple, nutritious and inexpensive survival food in hard times and high in protein and iron, combatting anaemia in a place where it is not so easy to find these nutrients.

1033px-Sangrecita_con_yuca.thumb.jpg.cc7e3af6a7f61bb1ab923c21b956fe1d.jpg

Sangrecita with Yucca - Image by MiguelAlanCS licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license