• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

with to would

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Czarnina

I grew up eating that, with the duck blood.  We kids called it Chocolate Soup due to its color.   My maternal Grandfather always was served the fruit in his bowl.  I never knew there was fruit in czarnina until adulthood because I never saw it in my bowl.  Ours was served over macaroni and with a splash of vinegar.  I have a  memory of accompanying my Grandmother to a side of Chene-Ferry market where a woman sold live poultry and would dispatch the duck and collect the blood in a jar.   That's a very old, yet vivid memory.  Still ate the soup happily after the duck was done for.

There was a place out of Buffalo that you could order a czarnina kit with the duck blood, not sure if that's feasible anymore.  

Real czarnina would be my wish for my death row last meal.:smile:

lemniscate

lemniscate

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Czarnina

I grew up eating that, with the duck blood.  We kids called it Chocolate Soup due to its color.   My maternal Grandfather always was served the fruit in his bowl.  I never knew there was fruit in czarnina until adulthood because I never saw it in my bowl.  Ours was served over macaroni and with a splash of vinegar.  I have a  memory of accompanying my Grandmother to a side of Chene-Ferry market where a woman sold live poultry and would dispatch the duck and collect the blood in a jar.   That's a very old, yet vivid memory.  Still ate the soup happily after the duck was done for.

There was a place out of Buffalo that you could order a czarnina kit with the duck blood, not sure if that's feasible anymore.  

Real czarnina with be my wish for my death row last meal.:smile: